#76 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:41 AM

That blade looks pretty slick, nice job.

I like that ballast too, pretty cool.

I was going to make a trailer dolly too, but now have a 3 pnt ball hitch on the tractor, much easier to lift and let tractor do the work.

• Watchdog said thank you

#77 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Looks good so far....A lot of the plows have framework with an up/down bend in it, like the bar on the left of this picture. That allows the blade to lift higher.

$(KGrHqF,!rkFC(RDN0rrBQuuwjN9bw~~48_20.J

Poncho62, it's kind of late to really acknowledge your input, but better late than ever.  I definitely have to make some alterations to my push frame so I can achieve more lift and should have incorporated the the curve in the frame back when you suggested it.

opcwpf.jpg

In this image, the bottom edge of the level is the same as the bottom of the wheel.  You can see that the plow hangs about 1.5 inches below the wheel.  This can easily be adjusted, but now that the cutting edge is on I have only 3 inches of lift.

10s66vp.jpg

This another image a little further back and makes it a little easier to see.

I have a plan to rectify my problem, but it'll take a while to get to it.  On Friday I hurt my back and not feeling very motivated to work on the GT.  More time in the hot tub and a few beers to act as muscle relaxants is in order.

Thanks for following along.

Jeff

• boyscout862 said thank you

#78 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 10:32 AM

That is one of the drawbacks with the plow frame going to back of tractor. Better point of attchment for pushing, but limited lift. That is one reason I built mine up by the wheels. Is there anyway you can cut the push frame under the axle or low part, then cut angle and re-weld so blade itself will go a little higher? But then you will get angle issues with blade. I dunno, would have to really look at that one.

#79 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 07:25 PM

Finally got enough snow to get the plow out. Sorry it took so long.
This snow is pretty fluffy stuff and would be off the side as much as in front of the plow.
Here is the plow walk around

Just a run up the road in front of the house. Not much snow, but enough to show what it does.

• boyscout862 and Watchdog have said thanks

#80 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 12:19 PM

Tried to get an action shot plowing yesterday, but it was a no go.  Engine fired up and run strong, but transmission wouldn't drive the tractor.

Stupid me, I never checked the rear end before I got started.  As most know my tractor is a freebie.  I got it running well and didn't check how it drives.  Here's hoping it just needs some hydraulic/gear oil.

I'll keep you posted.

Jeff 

Edited by Watchdog, January 29, 2013 - 12:20 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#81 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 12:24 PM

Tried to get an action shot plowing yesterday, but it was a no go.  Engine fired up and run strong, but transmission wouldn't drive the tractor.

Stupid me, I never checked the rear end before I got started.  As most know my tractor is a freebie.  I got it running well and didn't check how it drives.  Here's hoping it just needs some hydraulic/gear oil.

I'll keep you posted.

Jeff 

Hey Jeff, are you sure we're not brothers in a past life cause this certainly sounds like a move I've made. Here's to hoping it's something simple. If it's not....we'll be cheering you on.

#82 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hey Jeff, are you sure we're not brothers in a past life cause this certainly sounds like a move I've made. Here's to hoping it's something simple. If it's not....we'll be cheering you on.

Maybe we were or we're just willfully blind when we're focused on something else on the tractor.  The other reason I didn't look at it was that a friend gave it to me and said he drove it into the barn when he put it away 10 years ago.  Having said that I'm hopeful that its not a big problem.

Jeff

• Moosetales and boyscout862 have said thanks

#83 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 08:05 AM

Hope it's simple to fix. There isn't some kind of free wheel or neutral on this tranny, is there?
  • boyscout862 and Watchdog have said thanks

#84 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Hello Everyone:

I apologize for the lack of follow-ups on this thread.  I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger in a wind storm . . . Helping an old Army buddy with his truck and the never ending list of jobs the misses has for me and we've had company the past couple of weekends and more coming this weekend.  I spent the afternoon cleaning snow off the roof of the house and cleaning up the mess on the ground.

Hope it's simple to fix. There isn't some kind of free wheel or neutral on this tranny, is there?

There is a a free wheel position, but changing the control just made the rear end lock up. still no drive.  Btw, thanks for posting the videos of you plow in action.

So I'm back on the forum today to check the manuals and sort out my drive issues.  Was talking to the friend who gave it to me and he is certain it drove when he put it away.  

My drive function is particularly annoying because I have located a mower deck for my tractor as well.  A 92 year old gent I met last year has one in his shed frozen in the ground, so I have to wait 'til spring to get it. All the more motivation to get it sorted out.

Jeff

#85 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 09:19 PM

There is a a free wheel position, but changing the control just made the rear end lock up. still no drive.  Btw, thanks for posting the videos of you plow in action.

So I'm back on the forum today to check the manuals and sort out my drive issues.  Was talking to the friend who gave it to me and he is certain it drove when he put it away.  

My drive function is particularly annoying because I have located a mower deck for my tractor as well.  A 92 year old gent I met last year has one in his shed frozen in the ground, so I have to wait 'til spring to get it. All the more motivation to get it sorted out.

Jeff

Jeff, is it possible the brakes are seized on this? That would explain most of it. If it was in freewheel, then you put it "in" and the brakes are seized... Then nada.

One more thought, what do you mean exactly made it "lock up"? Was the engine running and the freewheel valve caused the engine to stall when you tried to move it or were you able to move it until you turned the valve and now it won't roll?

#86 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 07:46 AM

It happened to me once that water was in the transmission and it froze in the winter. It worked after thawing and draining the fluid. I put kerosene in it for a little bit to flush it and let it sit dripping for a couple of days. New fluid and it worked. The folowing summer I rebuilt it because of rust in there. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81 and Watchdog have said thanks

#87 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 12:36 PM

^ That's what happened to my bush hog, transaxle was filled with water, rusted, and locked right up.

Checking these pages, you do amazing work welding!

#88 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Jeff, is it possible the brakes are seized on this? That would explain most of it. If it was in freewheel, then you put it "in" and the brakes are seized... Then nada. One more thought, what do you mean exactly made it "lock up"? Was the engine running and the freewheel valve caused the engine to stall when you tried to move it or were you able to move it until you turned the valve and now it won't roll?

MH81, thanks for the input.  For clarification the brake is not seized on.  WRT locking up, when you disengage the control knob it free wheels and when you engage the control knob (never tried while engine was running) the wheels simply don't turn.  Typical diff function I am thinking.

Jeff

Edited by Watchdog, February 11, 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#89 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 03:27 PM

It happened to me once that water was in the transmission and it froze in the winter. It worked after thawing and draining the fluid. I put kerosene in it for a little bit to flush it and let it sit dripping for a couple of days. New fluid and it worked. The folowing summer I rebuilt it because of rust in there. Good Luck, Rick

Thanks for the input Rick, I hope it is as simple as a fluid change.  She's not froze up, as she's sitting in my nice warm shop.

Jeff

#90 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Ha Rick, not meaning to hijack the trhread but what kind of price are y'all having to pay for kerosene, that is if you remember, The reason I ask is I got myself a kerosene heater with the K1 going at $11.00 a gallon, so I don't know if I am keeping the heater or not.

Dick