96 replies to this topic

#1 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 09:00 AM

Good Morning Everyone:

Yesterday I got started building my homemade snow plow for my White Town & Country 112.  I was given the GT without any implements or even a mower deck, so I decided I needed to do something with it.  Not to mention it"s been snowing a lot and plowing looks like fun.

So this is my basic salvaged materials, along with bit of junk I have tucked away in the corners of my shop.

2d6w6xv.jpg

This is the blade material.  I plan to cut it in half and laminate the two halves together.

17zfxj.jpg

These are some scrap from work.  They used to join together to support radiant heaters, which are used to defrost the ground.  Originally they extended but the innner 1 1/4" tube is rusted in place.  So I have 1.5 inch by 1/4 wall tubing for my push frame.

33bomrb.jpg

This my push frame mount ( x 2) made of 3" channel.  The 3/4 hole in the GT frame was already there so I robbed a couple 3/4 bolts from from a couple of old trailer hitch balls.

2823w3r.jpg

A pic of the mount welded to part of the push frame.

21lvrsh.jpg

Both sides of the push frame with a centre support.

rvcyv5.jpg

The front starting to come together.

33kah75.jpg

A hook I made out of some galvanized rod, to act as the lift point on the deck lift mechanism.

1h9zqd.jpg

The lift chain is passed through the frame support and wrapped around the whole frame in an effort to lift the push frame evenly. I'll probably work on the lift to come up with something better a little later.

Does anybody have a picture of how their plows lift?  Am I at least close to figuring out how they are supposed to lift?  I only get about four inches between the lifted and lowered positions.

More to follow soon.  Hoping to get the work done today and paint tomorrow.

Any input you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

• JDBrian, CRFarnsworth, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 09:12 AM

Interesting build. Thanks for the pictures Jeff. Keep us updated!

• JRJ and Watchdog have said thanks

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 09:12 AM

Looks good so far....A lot of the plows have framework with an up/down bend in it, like the bar on the left of this picture. That allows the blade to lift higher.

$(KGrHqF,!rkFC(RDN0rrBQuuwjN9bw~~48_20.J

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 09:19 AM

Looks like you're making progress. Watch cutting that tank, though. As far as the lift only being 4", that is a challenge when running the assembly under the front axle. Hard to get much lift that way.

• Watchdog said thank you

#5 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 09:32 AM

CAN I COME PLAY IN YOUR SHOP? Please. I love a down to earth DIY build from scratch project thread. I'll be following. Thanks for the pics and description. Keep us posted. Oh, is that a GT lift your tractor is on that you just happen to have sitting around your shop? If so, that's really cool.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 09:39 AM

Looks like you are off to a good start.

#7 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 09:47 AM

I personally think 4" of lift is all you need. That's about all I have w/ the GT blade I adapted to fit my wheeler. It works well ramping up the snow as I have to due to space limitations. If you think you need more lift cut the push arms just ahead of the front axle w/ the sawzall or cutoff wheel on the top and sides. This would have to be done after the blade is built and mounted. Keep veeing out the cuts so the arms almost touch the floor, then tack them in place, remove from the GT and weld up good.
For the moldboard, when you say laminate, do mean back to back to make it stronger or end to end to lengthen it? If you have some more of the sq tube, make a strong back to span your welding table and use it w/ a bottle jack as a press to increase the radius of the moldboard.
These are only suggestions of things I would do.
Mike

#8 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Looking good!  You are making it very heavy duty, so it should last a long time.

• JRJ, Watchdog and welderman85 have said thanks

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 10:02 AM

Looks like you know what you are doing....Keep us posted on the progress!

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 10:23 AM

You're doing a very nice job. My Ford and Snapper tractors have plow frames that mount to the rear axle like you're doing. They both have a center guide mounted to the front of the tractor frame to keep the plow centered under the front axle. One has two angles pointing down that straddle the plow frame. The other tractor has a piece of channel welded to the plow frame that comes up in front of the grill and is straddled by two angles that go horizontally forward from the tractor frame.

Are you going to make the blade spring trip? I recommend it. I used a fixed blade for awhile but ended up on the hood of the tractor when hitting rocks. Thanks for the pictures and good luck.

Edited by boyscout862, January 01, 2013 - 10:27 AM.

• Moosetales, JRJ and Watchdog have said thanks

#11 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 10:36 AM

You're doing a very nice job. My Ford and Snapper tractors have plow frames that mount to the rear axle like you're doing. They both have a center guide mounted to the front of the tractor frame to keep the plow centered under the front axle. One has two angles pointing down that straddle the plow frame. The other tractor has a piece of channel welded to the plow frame that comes up in front of the grill and is straddled by two angles that go horizontally forward from the tractor frame.

Are you going to make the blade spring trip? I recommend it. I used a fixed blade for awhile but ended up on the hood of the tractor when hitting rocks. Thanks for the pictures and good luck.

LMAO! Just picturing boyscout all sprawled out on the hood of his GT makes me laugh. :bigrofl: Better wear a helmet and a seat belt if you don't make the blade "spring trip".

• KennyP, boyscout862, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#12 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Your progress looks really good!! A thought is to build a pivot into the push bar at the front area. Then mount the push bar in a solid manner. This will give you more lift options and more lift travel.  IMHO

Geno

#13 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 11:03 AM

good work!

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 11:36 AM

LMAO! Just picturing boyscout all sprawled out on the hood of his GT makes me laugh. :bigrofl: Better wear a helmet and a seat belt if you don't make the blade "spring trip".

To an observer it was funny. I chuckle now. Ed and Jim, my neighbors at the time, were laughing as hard as they could. So they got on the hood of my Raider 9 and we plowed the road together. That was over thirty years ago. I then got a spring trip plow(like most are) and didn't have trouble with the tractor until 5 years ago when the engine wore out. Twenty years ago I went over a big rock on my A/C HD6G and ended up on the hood of it. If I hadn't caught the throttle with my foot as I went over, it would have kept going. Boys playing with toys.

#15 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 11:54 AM

Good Morning Jeff and a Happy New Year;

Now that looks like a man that is  on a mission and knows what he is doing. I like to see a young man with the spunk to made something out of just about nothing, give the man  a cutting torch, a welder and some metal and he can build what ever he wants.

A very good job so far, my concern right now is, isn't it a little bit cool to be outside working like that, even in a garge can be uncomfortable.

Looks like you have the tiger by the tail now.

Dick

• Watchdog said thank you