6 replies to this topic

#1 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 10:55 PM

About a year ago I picked up a free green LT1000 that had a blown Briggs Intek but a good chassis and deck. I had previously found a free 40" 2-stage blower on Craigslist and my plans were to make this my primary grass cutter and snow blower machine since it has a hydrostatic transaxle and cast-iron front axle.

I had previously been using an older grey Craftsman that was a model between the square-edged older ones and the rounded LT1000 models for snow removal. It had the same size and type of blower, a manual tranaxle and 15.5 hp Kohler Command. The problem I found with this combo was that the tractor wouldn't go slow enough for the blower to keep up in deep snow. No problems with engine power, it just couldn't get rid of the snow fast enough in 1st gear and it would end up piling up in front of the blower which means that I'd have to stop and let it catch up from time to time. This was really only a problem on the first pass and in pretty deep snow.

I ended up taking out the transaxle once - between plenty of weight, chains, and my possibly not getting it all the way in gear, something let go inside. The stamped steel front axle was also not up to the task of carrying the weight of the blower and had twisted which made it not steer so well. Still, this tractor was what I used on the storm we recently had and it still did the job.

Early this summer, I bought a pretty beat up donor LT1000. It provided the replacement engine for the green one - a 19.5 hp Briggs opposed twin. The engine fit the tractor just fine, but I had to also swap over the gas tank and battery tray since they swapped locations depending on if it was a single or a twin. Everything fit perfectly, though, and I used it to cut grass this summer. The opposed twins are great engines and it has plenty of power, even in deep grass so I have been really looking forward to seeing how it will do in the snow.

After clearing everything up today, I set to work on the green tractor. I had previously pulled the deck off but hadn't had a chance to work on the blower mounts before we got these last storms. I was able to get the blower mounts and mule drive mounts attached without any problems so now all I have left to do is wait for the drive belts I ordered to come in so I can put them on. While I am waiting I'll also get the chains and wheel weights mounted up as well as the weight tray attached and I'll be ready to go. Of course, that means we probably won't get any big storms once I am all ready, but we'll see about that.

Definitely need to do weights and chains, though. With the blower hung off the front the tractor would barely move on flat ground and I could lift the back end up off the ground with one hand. I'll pretty much replicate what I have on the grey tractor, which really hooks up nicely and allows me to blow snow both up and down my hilly driveway.

I guess I don't have any pictures of the LT1000, but here is one of the grey tractor from the winter before last. Notice that it has a rounded hood like the LT1000 series tractors, but like the older ones does not have a step-through chassis. Kind of odd. I have since added another cross link to the chains and also added a home made weight tray.

Attached Thumbnails

• Copy of IMG_4192 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Oo-v-oO, December 31, 2012 - 10:55 PM.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,460 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 11:27 PM

Good to hear you got the right road  speed for your blower :thumbs:  How's the high speed now ? Is it still ok for mowing ? Al

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 12:11 AM

That sounds like a nice rig for the snow removal, glad you are getting the parts assembled.

Just watch over weighting the tractor, I had a similar unit the PO had weighted from the rear hitch and it wore the axles thru the top of the housing. If he had used wheel weights, it'd been fine.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 05:40 AM

Looking forward to the pics! Hope it workes well for you.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 06:06 AM

Hope it does the job for you.

#6 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Thanks - understood about too much weight on the chassis. Wheel weight is always preferred. I suppose I could load up the tires if I need more, but I'm afraid of getting too much traction and wiping out the transaxle. The grey tractor does pretty well so that's what I'm shooting for on the green one. 

It will probably be next week before I get the belts so I have some time to get the rest of it done. 

Edited by Oo-v-oO, January 01, 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#7 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 10:09 AM

The blower I'm putting on the green tractor came with a weight tray, but I had to make my own for the grey one. Here are a few pictures of what I came up with. 

The kitty litter bucket weighs about 70 lbs when filled with sand. Adding that made a HUGE difference in traction.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4224 (Large).jpg
  • IMG_4225 (Large).jpg
  • IMG_4227 (Large).jpg
  • IMG_4228 (Large).jpg

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks