Jump to content

Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

J D 140x2 Restore Started.......


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts
  • Location: west central missouri

Posted December 31, 2012 - 10:42 PM

I have both of the 140's in the garage, and I got started taking them apart to see what I have.  I took some pics of the H3.  Oh my, it is nasty.  Dirt-gunk caked on everything underneath.  I already scraped off over an inch thick of crap in some places when I took these pics.  I think what I will do is to pull the motor off this one (H3) and get the other one (H1) taken apart the same and then take them both to the carwash. [attachment=54104:100_8959.jpg][attachment=54107:100_8962.jpg][attachment=54109:100_8964.jpg]

 

There are a couple of holes in the fender of the tractor deck on the H3, other than that it is good shape.  The tractor deck on the H1 is cracked at the seat mount.[attachment=54106:100_8961.jpg]

 

One thing interesting to see is that the H3 has the plain cooling fan on it, not the one for a rear-pto.  And it does not look like it ever had anything bolted up to the back of the tractor either.[attachment=54108:100_8963.jpg]

 

The motor turns over, and I can see that the piston moves up and down.  I don't know anything else about it.  I sprayed some fogging oil in the spark plug hole and let it set for awhile before I tried turning the crank by hand.[attachment=54110:100_8965.jpg]

 

 

 

 


  • boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

    FORDoholic

  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts
  • Location: Collinsville, Oklahoma

Posted January 01, 2013 - 05:52 AM

Yuk! Lots to clean in there. Hope there are no surprises hidden away! Thanks for the pics of the 'innards'. Helps me understand how JD did things.


  • Delmar said thank you

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

    Accumulator

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts
  • Location: Upper Granville, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted January 01, 2013 - 06:04 AM

Looks like you have a little work ahead of you.


  • Delmar said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

    Super Moderator

  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts
  • Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia - Canada

Posted January 01, 2013 - 07:53 AM

The 140 in the first picture has the original style rear end by the looks of it. The frame is mostly identical to the 300 to 317 tractors except for motor mounts and other details. 


  • Delmar and larryd have said thanks

#5 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts
  • Location: west central missouri

Posted January 14, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Finally had some time and got the motor out of the H3 this last weekend.

 

[attachment=55650:100_8974.jpg][attachment=55651:100_8976.jpg][attachment=55652:100_8975.jpg]

 

If it ever warms up around here I will do some power washing and see what I got.  

 

 


  • larryd said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

    Super Moderator

  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts
  • Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia - Canada

Posted January 14, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Looks like the motor cylinder is dry and clean. No head gasket leaks on that one. The consoles always rust due to the battery. That one doesn't look too bad. 


  • Delmar said thank you

#7 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts
  • Location: west central missouri

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:23 PM

And I finally got the tower off of it too.  Just finished that.  The problem was the pin holding the drive engaging lever to the shaft.  It was frozen in place.  I finally had to grind the head off of it and get out the air hammer to drive it out.  and it worked! 

 

[attachment=55697:100_8981.jpg]              [attachment=55698:100_8980.jpg]

 

[attachment=55699:100_8982.jpg]              [attachment=55700:100_8983.jpg]

 

[attachment=55701:100_8984.jpg]              [attachment=55702:100_8985.jpg]



#8 Brando OFFLINE  

Brando
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 14091
  • 338 Thanks
  • 331 posts
  • Location: Albemarle,NC

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Looks like fun! i need a new project.



#9 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts
  • Location: N.W. Arkansas

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:15 PM

How old are they, really not to bad for being that old, a lot of surface rust-could have been worse. The H1 with the crack in it shouldn't be a problem, get it tig welded and ground down-good as new. The cooling fan in the H3 looks like it hadn't turned in many a years.

 

A nice project.

 

Dick






Top