• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 01:42 AM

hello all, wishing everyone a healthy, happy and prosperous new year!!   i have been offered a very nice restored wheel horse c 120 special, is it really special or is it just because it has the techumsie motor, i have a "not so special" c120 and a c160, awhile ago while researching my c120 i thought i read somewhere the special was limited to under 250 made, is this true? the guys a deere collector and will take my jd 140 h3 straight trade its a basket case but 99% complete, since last year and joining gttalk i have amassed, i dont say collect because colllecting would be one or 2 makes, i have 5 makes and 20 tractors and have decided to focus on real wheel horses, not toro what to bes, around here deeres have no value i have bought a jd 210 $125, 212 mower and blower $225 a 214 $125 a 1967 jd 110 round fender $175, the h3 $175, but wheel horses are big bucks and hard to find here, a see some of your stateside ads and i want to move, it seems it all come down to location, but i am clearing out everything green and staying with horses, deere are just to easy to get and the hunt is half the fun so hopefully this time next year i will have 20 horses or more if i can sneak them into the shop while my wife is not looking, ha ha !!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! PLAY SAFE!!!

• MH81 said thank you

#2 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 02:18 AM

Sounds like a good place to buy John Deere's! I also have 20 or so and lots of projects and have thought to focus just on John Deere's. I seem to be undecided as I like a little variety. I wish you the best in your Wheel Horse quest.

• farmer john said thank you

#3 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 05:20 AM

There are 2 models of 1975 C-120 8-speed Specials

Model number 1-0357 has a 10 amp stator. Have seen serial numbers 144645 and 144649. This one may have been made in Belgium.

Model number 1-0375 has a 20 amp stator. Have seen serial numbers 133367 to 133675.

Curious to know what your numbers are.

It has always been said the Special's were built to use up an excess of parts inventory. It would not surprise me if a special buy on less expensive engines allowed them to sell the tractors at a discount over the Kohler powered models.

Garry

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:50 AM

I've owned a couple C120's in the past, but never knew any came with a Tecumseh.  I'd much rather have the Kohler myself, but if collecting, I'd think the "Special" would be a great addition.

#5 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 09:46 AM

i will probably haul out the jd140 and make the trade in the next few days, i will then post what numbers i can find. i might as well get it , when it comes to gts my wife thinks im "special" too. i would imagine there are a few other "special gttalk members" too, i dont care what she thinks as long as i get my new toy. ha!! ha!! ha!!  did i say that out loud?

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 02:02 PM

A deere 140 would be good to have here in IN or Midwest maybe. Would also think a heavier tractor than horse?  Which was basket case, the horse or the Deere?  Horses are cheaper to build and lots of parts around. Deere's harder to find exact parts sometimes and worth weight in gold if odd part.  Parts don't exchange as easy as horse either. Whatever your pleasure.......I never finish many of mine and they just move around garage/yard wishing they were Loved more than I offer! :smilewink:

#7 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 11:43 PM

like i was saying location location location. up here in ontario john deeres are everywhere even the earlier 60s, i paid $175 for my 67 110 round fender and $175 for the h3 with 3ph and it was a rolling chassie just had the deck seat and gauges removed for painting, i would not have to go more than 20 miles to get anything, parts, tractors ect.for a deere but i usually have to make 3 and 4 hour trips for anything wheel horse, i just looked at a 63 round hood and a 67 raider luckily only an hour away, hopefully i can find someone looking for deeres and i can sell them and buy these

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 12:52 AM

around here deeres have no value... but wheel horses are big bucks and hard to find here

...thought to focus just on John Deere's.

Sounds like ACT should start buying up WH's and meeting Farmer John half way.  Say, around Chicago?  :D

All kidding aside, if you want the WH, go for it.  They are well built machines, so are the Deere's.  If the red will make you happier than the green, It's a good deal, all about what makes you happy... IDT to many of us are in it to get rich, just the enjoyment of the machines.

• A.C.T. and farmer john have said thanks

#9 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 01:55 AM

Well John, that's quite a predicament.  $ and availability will always drive the market no matter where you live.  Price wise, the 140 would bring a premium here in Indiana.  A C120 here wouldn't hold a candle price wise to a 140. 

I think you know by now that I live and breath red, but a chance to own a 140 H3,  I couldn't pass it up!  Wish you were closer because you be owning several more Horses and I'd have a little green in my barn!