Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Shop Air Compressors; Anyone Here Work On Them?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 01:29 AM

I have an '87  Emglo compressor and have had it 10-12 years  5HP 220V 80 gallon  2 stage 4 cylinder  cast iron compressor head; it is a beast. IIRC it puts out something like 19 CFM of air at 175 PSI  and 22 ish CFM at 100 PSI.  I have never been able to out work it. Sandblasting, DA'ing, roofing, running multiple nailguns when I built my garage, run 150' of hose over to the neighbors' house  to do "what ever",  it has done all that I have ever asked. and still runs, does not consume oil, either.

During the last 4-6 months it has been discharging grey/white gooey oily sludge. I have seen this out of other compressors before  but until recently never from mine.  It still gets up to its 175 PSI "shutoff" setpoint without issue.  but that gooey crap,  (reminds me of a huge pile of fresh bird crap)  cant be good for my tools; and I know that just draining the moisture out of the tank  isnt carrying all of this crap with it;I run 2 water traps in series right at the compressor outlet so this was where I started seeing the gooey crap show up first.

I rarely paint with this unit but do occasionally.  so;

1) what is causing this all of a sudden?

2) how can I flush the tank, once I solve the issue? (just wait for the air cycling thru to eventually carry it outta there?  I'd like a little faster result.)

3) Do I need to rebuild my compressor head, to solve this? ( being commercial duty and all castiron, made in USA, I think it may be worth doing)

4) I know that Dewalt bought out Emglo, and that buyouts often leave a shell of a former good company: would parts be as available under DeWalt/jenny?   (4b)  where can I get parts?

5) do the engine aftermarket companies (like Sealed power, Hastings, Perfect Circle etc) make parts for these?

6) upon rebuild do these generally need a rebore or is a hone and new rings usually sufficient? I know I wont know for sure unless I tear into it; but for those that have done them what has been your experience?

6b) IF the cylinder needs overbored are oversize pistons and rings available? Or is the cylinder then scrap and need replacing? If this is the case i can see it "not being worth" rebuilding! the cylinder is a seperate casting from the crankcase.  

7) is it generally worth rebuilding one of these or does parts cost come close to the price of a whole new compressor head?

I know this is basically a 4 stroke engine without an ignition system and no fuel added to the intake air... so i am guessing that without ignition that a compressor won't run as hot as an engine; does that equate to less wear on cylinders?

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 07:30 AM

I too have a good old heavy cast iron compressor(Gardener-Denver). Before getting too worried try a few simple things. 1. Change the oil with the exact oil that your manual recommends. My oil is a pain to get but the wrong oil can cause problems. 2. Drain the tank everytime you use it and the morning after. In very humind weather when I'm running mine continuously, I crack the drain valve a little so that it can continuously drain. 3. Service the inlet air filter. 4. Thoroughly clean both traps too. Good Luck

Edited by boyscout862, December 31, 2012 - 07:54 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:49 AM

I have an older Ingersol-Rand and it has always bled a little oil into the tank along with the air. The discharge of water has a milky appearance. I haven't notice the goo in the traps, but there is some oil that's mixed with the air and it coats the inside of the trap housing. I would say that the rings are probably getting a little worn in yours but that's just a guess. We have a very good professional compressor shop that's just a few miles away and they have always been very good with advice and parts when I bought it (Not from them, used from a body shop) and I would see if you could strike up a relationship with one near you. They could probably give the best advice about what the problem may be and the best way to correct it. That's my $.02 and I hope it helps.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 09:29 AM

Water in the oil makes it white just like in engines..  As compressed air expands it releases any moisture it contains..  The gooey stuff you are seeing is oil mixed with the condensation..  I installed a neat little contraption to drain the watery goo out of the tank daily without fighting to get under the darn thing and messing with that dang butterfly valve..  I use a 1/4 male NPT 90 degree ELL which has a 1/4" copper pipe fitting on the other side.  I installed this in the bottom opening of the tank and routed it up where it is convenient to drain into a pail or bucket.  Somewhere in the pipe run I install a 1/4" finger valve and just drain the water / goo out of the tank daily.  As far as the compressor goes you have leaking rings but if it pumps right up as you say, I'dn just investigate parts and help availability as Caseguy says..

Other things you can do is install traps @ low points in the air runs to drain it there as well..  A bit of persistent draining should get most of the junk out of your lines in short order..

Good Luck!

#5 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 09:34 AM

Yeah, that bird crap looking stuff is an emulsification of oil and water. Not an unusual thing to see. 

I'll second leaking rings, especially if it didn't do it before and nothing has changed. 

Can't help with availability of parts, sorry. 

#6 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 10:10 AM

... Before getting too worried try a few simple things. 1. Change the oil with the exact oil that your manual recommends. My oil is a pain to get but the wrong oil can cause problems. 2. Drain the tank everytime you use it and the morning after. In very humind weather when I'm running mine continuously, I crack the drain valve a little so that it can continuously drain. 3. Service the inlet air filter. 4. Thoroughly clean both traps too. Good Luck

:ditto:

When was the last time the oil was changed? Could be one of the oil rings on the piston is sticking and allowing excess oil to the compression ring. Change with recommended oil and see what happens.

#7 Guest_Franz©_*

Guest_Franz©_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 02, 2013 - 12:58 AM

Going through my list of sites for Emglo leads me to think the current situation with regard to going direct to the company for help is just not happening.  Somebody still at the company who actually knows anything about your machine, good luck.

On the other side of the street, Emglo sold so many units support still exists through independent distributors, and probably will for years to come.  This outfit is good to deal with, assuming they survived the hurricane.  http://www.iccparts.com/

#8 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 02:40 AM

hours of use wise probably 50 hours ago... it does seem to have been sespecially since the last oil change I have really  noticed this   in 10+ years of owning and using this compressor I never really seemed to notice much in the tank or in the traps other than plain water.... if this unit had been doing this all along I would not have posed the question.... it is acting "different" and I am trying to figure out why that is.

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 11:28 PM

hours of use wise probably 50 hours ago... it does seem to have been sespecially since the last oil change I have really  noticed this   in 10+ years of owning and using this compressor I never really seemed to notice much in the tank or in the traps other than plain water.... if this unit had been doing this all along I would not have posed the question.... it is acting "different" and I am trying to figure out why that is.

Suspect the new oil then. Do the change to the correct oil. Good Luck

#10 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 04, 2013 - 01:39 AM

I would change the oil with the proper oil. If that doesn't fix it, I would then look at the rings.