#31 Racerxxx OFFLINE  

Racerxxx
  • Member No: 22706
  • 57 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 07:05 PM

ducklings?

Yep.

Two more future fertilizers and weeders to add to the other three. They also make great eggs and are hardier than the chickens we had.

• Alc and twostep have said thanks

#32 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 11:03 PM

So how do you train them to weed but not eat your plants? Do you have a pond? Sorry, I know nothing about raising ducks..

#33 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 06:52 AM

Please let us know how you care for  them  and how to protect them from other animals ,  Now the my son has a pond at his new place maybe ducks would be a nice addition ! Hea he used to bring cats , snowmobiles , scrap metel to my house I should bring him ducks !

• twostep said thank you

#34 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,720 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 09:09 AM

Please let us know how you care for  them  and how to protect them from other animals ,  Now the my son has a pond at his new place maybe ducks would be a nice addition ! Hea he used to bring cats , snowmobiles , scrap metel to my house I should bring him ducks !

Get him some geese! They are real good for letting you know someone is about!

• Alc said thank you

#35 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 05:02 PM

Do ducks REQUIRE water??

Get him some geese! They are real good for letting you know someone is about!

supposedly they are good for eating all of the cull produce out of the garden too.

• Alc said thank you

#36 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 05:23 PM

Do ducks REQUIRE water??

supposedly they are good for eating all of the cull produce out of the garden too.

And also tasty themselves!

#37 Racerxxx OFFLINE  

Racerxxx
  • 57 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 07:16 PM

I will try to answer all the questions that I have first hand experience with.

I will also offer some observations...........

Ive never had to train my ducks or ducklings to not eat the good garden plants. They just seem to know.........that said we have lost the occasional young tender carrot top. They are mostly after the bugs.

No pond, just a kiddie pool with a ramp for them to run up and into the pool.

I keep the ducks in a 10 x 10 dog kennel that somebody gave me, put a roof on it and they are just fine. They are let out each day to roam around and eat and root around. Only ever had to trap and "relocate" a couple possums. Drew down one one neighbors dog that charged me while outside but thats another story. That dog dont come around no more.

Ducks do HAVE to have access to water all day every day. Clean liquid water. Ducks do not have a crop like a chicken, they have to have water to help them eat and digest thier food. We do feed ours fresh kitchen veggie scraps and cull veggies from the garden. Ours love strawberries.

We have had ducks for about 5 years and cant imagine not having any now. Most of my expereince is with Pekins but we have had a few Call ducks. In the next couple years will are moving and will have a pond and more ducks and a few geese. I would like to also get a pair of swans. My ducks come to me when I call them, got one big drake that follows me around the yard like a dog. We tried the chicken thing and wont go back. Maybe, maybe some Gueinies (sp?) sometime later.

Ducks a very social animals. They CANNOT be raised alone, they have to have a companion. They imprint at hatching. Any reputable hatchery will not sell ducklings as singles, if they do, beware. Ducks also have extremely good eyesight, when they are in the back yard I know by watching them if a bird flying over is a predator or not.

If there are any other questions I would be happy to answer them. I dont know everything about ducks but I do know a lot. (not boasting)

Thanks

#38 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 05, 2013 - 10:30 PM

Thank you very much for the info. I am very interested in getting some type of fowl and have been planning getting chickens this spring. My main goal is for eggs but will also raise more than I really need/want just to for meat this winter. SO, I have to ask, why not chickens? Oh I've also considered guineas since they will help with garden bugs and supposedly not mess with the vegetation.

So two female ducks will get along fine? I guess a good sized in ground koi pond style water feature would work? do you feed them any fish/minnows?

Edited by twostep, February 05, 2013 - 10:30 PM.

• Racerxxx said thank you

#39 Racerxxx OFFLINE  

Racerxxx
  • 57 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 07:54 PM

Thank you very much for the info. I am very interested in getting some type of fowl and have been planning getting chickens this spring. My main goal is for eggs but will also raise more than I really need/want just to for meat this winter. SO, I have to ask, why not chickens? Oh I've also considered guineas since they will help with garden bugs and supposedly not mess with the vegetation.

So two female ducks will get along fine? I guess a good sized in ground koi pond style water feature would work? do you feed them any fish/minnows?

The price of the feed is keeping us from chickens again. 50 pound bag of feed went up 5 bucks this past year from spring to fall. Not an extreme amount of money, but its easier for me to justify 12 bucks a month instead of 17. We dont quite eat 17 bucks worth of eggs. Eggs are the primary reason we have the birds, that and the organic fertilizer aspect. I allow my birds some "free rangeing". Have some friends that have chickens and they try to do the limited free rangeing like I do and it doesnt work.  They always have a few birds that wont "coop up" for the night, they get eaten. They lose 5-6 birds a year this way. I dont want or need night time predators around. My birds will just go on in for the evening when its time (getting dark) and I just have to close the pen door for the evening. Only ever had a problem with predators when we did have the chickens. Cant explain it. The duck poop works real well in the garden, can be used right away and doesnt "burn" like chicken poop. If you do chickens for meat dont let them get too old before processing time. They WILL be tough. 14-16 weeks is about right.  A small koi pond should work fine. Havent fed minnows yet but I have gotten a box of crickets to feed. That was fun.

If you really are thinking about getting some chickens you might need to get going. This is sale time for most of the big hatcherys.

#40 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 06:18 PM

If you want to free range your chickens, but have a predator problem (mostly coyotes around here), a chicken tractor is a good idea.  It keeps them caged while they roam around, and you can move it easily to get them roaming where you want them to roam.  I helped build one out of old pallets and re-purposed chicken wire (I think one of my old jackets became a sunshade too), so it's not like they cost anything.

• twostep said thank you

#41 Racerxxx OFFLINE  

Racerxxx
  • 57 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted February 17, 2013 - 09:19 AM

Got the garden ready for a "cool crop".

Just watching the weather, gonna try to get it planted by end of Feb or mid March.

Lettuces,cabbages,brocos,onions,radishes and carrots.

Will take pics.

#42 Racerxxx OFFLINE  

Racerxxx
  • 57 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Planted today.

Lettuces

Cabbages

Taters

Onions

Radish

Carrots

Arugula

Brocolli

Garlics

Attached Thumbnails

• garden  March 9 13.jpg

Edited by Racerxxx, March 09, 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#43 Racerxxx OFFLINE  

Racerxxx
  • 57 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Can somebody rotate the pic please?

#44 Racerxxx OFFLINE  

Racerxxx
  • 57 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 08:11 AM

Just learned how to make folded newspaper pots for seedlings. Got tired of buying plastic pots.

• twostep said thank you

#45 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:27 AM

Just learned how to make folded newspaper pots for seedlings. Got tired of buying plastic pots.

I did that this year, they are working great. I also mixed my own potting soil; 2 parts peat, 1 part vermiculite, 1 part perlite.

• Alc said thank you