• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 greenblood44 OFFLINE  

greenblood44
  • Member No: 22716
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 06:29 PM

MODELS I LOOKED AT: Cub Cadet GTX2100 - Ingersoll 4223PSPTO - John Deere X530 - Simplicity Prestige
All are good looking, have nice layouts, and are comfy to sit on. Please ping back with your info before I buy.

1ST PLACE RANKINGS (based on visual inspection and web research)
Engine = All have good quality engines that will last if maintained right.
Deck = John Deere
Frame = Simplicity
Best Price = Cub Cadet
Versatility = Ingersoll/John Deere
Dealership Availability = John Deere
Transmission = JD/Sim tuff torq, Ing is proprietary, CC hydro gear
Available Attachments = John Deere/Ingersoll
Resale = John Deere
Ease of attachment hook up front ?????
Ease of attachment hook up rear ?????
Fuel usage ?????
Available Finance ????? (not sure about Ingersoll finance program so I cant rank this)

common garden tractor chores

installing a garden, mowing, smow moving, pulling a yard wagon, roling a lawn.

#2 greenblood44 OFFLINE  

greenblood44
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 06:43 PM

The new Craftsman CTX9500 may be a player in this as well. I did not have one to go and look at.

Edited by greenblood44, December 30, 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 07:26 PM

Welcome to GTT. This is an interesting post, most of us look at the old stuff. Add some pictures if you can. Good Luck

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Welcome.  That's an interesting first post.  I'm glad you joined.

I would go with JD since that dealer is close.  My neighbor at camp has a JD x500 type model.   It is stout enough for all those chores.  I'd rank that first, the Ingersoll second and the Simplicity third.  I think the Sears is a Simplicity.  

Good luck and keep us posted.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 08:49 PM

The dealer is important. A good JD dealership is a big asset when you have problems. Their parts network is second to none. 

#6 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 09:02 PM

Interesting post, never looked a new ones, sat on a new x500 a few years ago waiting for parts guy at the jd store, then the salesmen told me the price and my heart skipped a couple of beats. lol, What were the quoted prices? not in the market, but it would good to know when i have to order the honda repower for the jd318. :)

#7 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 09:14 PM

welcome to the forum. ive always liked the idea of getting a new gt but have never been able to afford one. localy we have a john deere dealer and an new holland ,kubota, cub cadet dealer. i have been to any of the dealers yet however i will be soon as i need to order parts for my cub and get quotes for jd stuff for the gt 275 that will be added shortly to my herd.

#8 greenblood44 OFFLINE  

greenblood44
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 09:36 PM

I didnt think about getting pics of each, good idea. I will remember that should the chance to revist the dealers arises. With the cost associated with a new garden tractor, reviews should be conducted to help potential buyers make a good choice.
What criteria should be used to classify it as a GT? Since no list has been made, this is a starting point of sorts. I dont have connections at each or any mfg to ask for a unit to test, so we are limited to numbers available such as frame thickness, transmission data, ect, combined with an in person visual of the tractor being considered.

Reasons behind the rank
Engine=because they are all good. I liked the sound of one over the others, but that is just my ear.

Deck= the material is over 1/8 inch thick, enough to weld to if it needs a patch. it is the only one that was designed with wheels that rotate 90 degrees to allow for rolling and not dragging during removal.

Frame= it looked like it was part of a car frame and thick. I did not have calipers to check it nor all of the units side by side to go over and over.

Price= self explained

Versatillity = what GT would perform the given tasks that make it a garden tractor and allow for other areas of operation should the owner decide they need a machine to venture into.

Dealership Availability= coast to coast, self explained

Transmission = need more data to review

Avalable attachments = self explained

Resale = self explained

Ease of attachment hook up front= need a unit or owner to comment on this

Ease of attachment hook up rear= need unit or owner to comment

Fuel usage = how many gallons per hour is used pulling a 400 lbs roller or plow? is this a good test?

Available financing= JD, CC, Sim all have it. Ing you have to find someone that will finance the purchase at a decent rate.

other areas that may be important that should be included such as warranty or attachment cost for example???
I will see about getting some pics. Any owner of a given tractor could and should post this. I will take my calipers next time.

#9 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 12:36 PM

The dealer is important. A good JD dealership is a big asset when you have problems. Their parts network is second to none

That's the truth.  Their prices seem to follow suit.  :smilewink:

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 03:36 PM

:wewantpics:     and      :welcometogttalk:

#11 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 09:34 PM

I am convinced that in the area of dealer avaibility and marketing John Deere wins it hands down.

I think the comparison between the Deere and the Simplicity makes sense, they are simular in performance, comfort and versatility John Deere does offer more branded implements at JD pricing but both have the same type single point sleeve hitch "available" and can use the same implements interchangeable, including numerous aftermarket offerings. The available suitcase weights on the Deere is a nice option. That said, no mower gives the quality cut of the Simplicity with its suspension from the front axle and full width rear rollers and it's QuickHitch system will have you up and mowing while you are still struggling with the Deere. The Simplicity also has a tighter turning radius which is the holy grail of mowing machines.

Why the Ingersol is included in your comparison is a mystery because it is a serious, old school, no holes barred garden tractor. Only simularity to the others is it has a seat and 4 wheels. Likewise it is not fair to compare the CC as it is $2000 less than the nearest competitor in your survey. Neither the Ingersoll nor the CC are marketed to the same market sector as the Deere or Simplicity.

As for fuel economy, don't expect any of the verticle v twins to be gas sippers. jmo

Edited by skunkhome, January 14, 2013 - 09:35 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john deere, cub cadet, ingersoll, simplicity