#1 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 05:59 PM

Hello,

My ride a matic is only driving the left rear wheel. I was plowing with it last spring, and couldn't keep it straight, it kept pushing the front end to the right. I managed to finish the job, and haven't been able to do anything with is since. Yesterday, I jacked the rear end up, and the right rear wheel just free wheels. It does not make any unusual noises or have any resistance while turning it.

When I have some time, I'll dig in the the rear axle. Any ideas what I may find in there?

I've had the tractor for about 25 years. My grandfather bought it new, and gave it to me when i was a kid. I painted it when I was 10 or 12, and it shows! I plan on doing a restoration on it someday, maybe in the next year or two.

Here are some pics.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  • antiquetractors and BraiteJizinee have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 06:24 PM

Welcome to GTT. Thats a nice tractor and an even better history. I'm not familiar with your tractor but you can probably download the manual from here. Has the right wheel pulled out abit?

• Kfs35 said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Welcome :wave:

Nice Looking Bolens!

Here is the owners manual for your tractor http://gardentractor...e-ride-a-matic/

Page 4 shows the operation of the versa-Matic drive and transmission.

These transmissions are pretty simple so repairing a broken/ worn part should be fairly simple.

#4 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Welcome :wave:

Nice Looking Bolens!

Here is the owners manual for your tractor http://gardentractor...e-ride-a-matic/
Page 4 shows the operation of the versa-Matic drive and transmission.

These transmissions are pretty simple so repairing a broken/ worn part should be fairly simple.

Thanks, doesn't look too complicated. I'll have to take it apart one of these days.

Bob

#5 motobreeder ONLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 10:13 PM

I think I have the same problem with mine (a couple years newer than yours).

I'm going to follow this thread to see if you find a solution.

Welcome to the forum - glad you found us.

#6 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Update. Tonight I pulled the hubs off. The right hub and pawl are both worn out, which is why it wouldn't drive forward. It would engage to reverse. Going to have to find some parts. Are the pawl/hub assembies fastened to the axle, or do I just need a puller to get them off? I can slide it back and forth about 1/8", but it won't come further by hand. I have a puller, just didn't have time to dig it out tonight.
  • motobreeder said thank you

#7 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 07:54 PM

Another update:

The hubs came right off with a puller. Turns out someone (probably my grandfather) had replaced the right pawl with a homemade one. It looks like he made it from 1/4" mild steel, and it just wore out.

I ordered new pawls for both sides and some other parts from Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors Friday. He had everything I needed except for the hub. The box from Bob came today! I'm pleasantly surprised how quickly they showed up! I can start putting things back together now. I'm glad I ordered new pawls for both sides, because after comparing the old with the new, I can see wear on what I thought was the good one.

Hank Watkins has a new (to me!) good used hub, so I'll be back up and running soon!

She should be good for another 50-60 years.

I'll throw some pics in the next post.

Bob
  • MailmAn said thank you

#8 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Here are the pics (sorry about the shadow, I don't have very good light after dark!)

The worn out homemade pawl
image.jpg

The less worn pawl from the other side
image.jpg

One of the new pawls from Bob's Garden Tractor
image.jpg

Worn out hub
image.jpg
  • Bolens 1000 and MailmAn have said thanks

#9 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 10:22 PM

I'm wondering if you can put some shims in there to make the pawl ride in a different spot. But since you got a different one coming maybe have to worry about it now. Anyways just a thought.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Glad you were able to get parts and find the problem area.

Be sure to post some pics when its together and running :D

#11 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:21 AM

I guess I don't know enough about Ride-A-Matics to see the problem there.  I know the new pawl assembly looks a lot cleaner, but even the old one looks fairly substantial, even though the end is a bit worn.  What part is this in the transaxle anyways and why does it seem to only use the very tip of that pawl to drive something (I'm assuming) instead of the whole thing?  Maybe I'm missing something here...

#12 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 12:41 PM

I guess I don't know enough about Ride-A-Matics to see the problem there.  I know the new pawl assembly looks a lot cleaner, but even the old one looks fairly substantial, even though the end is a bit worn.  What part is this in the transaxle anyways and why does it seem to only use the very tip of that pawl to drive something (I'm assuming) instead of the whole thing?  Maybe I'm missing something here...

Only the tips of the pawls engage the teeth in the hub.  The homemade one has the tip completely rounded off to where it wouldn't engage at all.  The NOS ones have nice sharp tips, compared to the old ones.  50+ years of ratcheting is a lot of wear!

The R-A-M uses this type of ratcheting hub as opposed to a differential. (At least the early ones, I believe the later models have a differential?)

Edited by Kfs35, January 08, 2013 - 12:46 PM.

• MailmAn said thank you