13 replies to this topic

#1 jd265 OFFLINE  

jd265
  • Member No: 9989
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hi All,

While using the JD 1150DE snow blower during this last storm I caught a small rock on the right side auger, this did not shear a pin but just stopped the auger.  I went to the garage to remove the rock, not a big ta-do, went back to work moving the white stuff and I noticed the performance in moving snow was lacking, 

Assuming I had actually sheared a pin I shut the machine down and tried to rotate the auger, neither side was free which tells me the pins are fine however, both augers rotate 180 degrees...!  Then after starting again and stopping the machine, the augers will not rotate that far rather just rock back and forth a bit as they usually would, indicating the usual gear lash...

So, I will look for a Tech Manual to see if I can see what might have happened in the gearbox but in the meantime, does anyone have any input as to whether I have done any serious damage in there...?

There is no unusual noise coming from the machine...  certainly if something was broken in the box I would hear it, no...?

We had a couple of decent snow storms this past week, I hate moving snow but I live here so I'll get over it...

Lemme know where to tpost this if it should not be here.

Thanks,

Rob

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 05:29 PM

I don't know what would cause those symptoms. I know that sometimes a shear pin will break and get lodged in the auger shaft. It will still work normally. It can be a real bear to get them out when this happens. Do they have parts diagrams for the Walk behind blowers on JDParts.com. If so, the diagrams might help you determine what's going on. 

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm not familiar with the machine but my first thought is a sheared pin that is wedging itself. Doing the 180 rotation puts me in mind of the pin coming around and catching the nubs on the other side. It would about have to be on one side of that shaft or the other. What drives the auger shaft? Gear, chain, or belt? Is there a cover that comes off easy for inspection?

#4 jd265 OFFLINE  

jd265
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 08:01 PM

I know that sometimes a shear pin will break and get lodged in the auger shaft.

I thought of that breifly but decided no as the auger would not go all the way around as if it would if the pin was complely gone but I will check it out first thing in the morning, it's making more sense...  The diagram of the gearbox from the link you sent tells me that nothing else can be busted in there and still work at all.

Great resourse on the JDParts.com..  appreciate that.

Thanks Brian,

Rob

• JDBrian said thank you

#5 jd265 OFFLINE  

jd265
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 08:16 PM

I'm not familiar with the machine but my first thought is a sheared pin that is wedging itself. Doing the 180 rotation puts me in mind of the pin coming around and catching the nubs on the other side. It would about have to be on one side of that shaft or the other. What drives the auger shaft? Gear, chain, or belt? Is there a cover that comes off easy for inspection?

Doug,

Gear driven...  detail here.

Weirdest thing that the auger rotates 180 and stops and it is both sides...!   If the pins are ok then I will open the box, the pc #20 appears to be the front inspection cap, too cold to go back out into the garage right now for a look... :(

http://jdpc.deere.co...__UN11JUL95.gifhttp://jdpc.deere.co...__UN11JUL95.gifhttp://jdpc.deere.co...__UN11JUL95.gif

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Rob, JDParts is a great service IMO. If you register with a dealer you can then get cost and availability on all your parts. I order parts on line and usually can pick them up at my local dealer in 3 - 4 business days. There is no charge for this service. They will also ship to you but then you pay shipping fees. I hope this helps you sort out the problem before the next snow storm.

• jd265 said thank you

#7 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 09:17 PM

I take it #4 is the auger shaft, #1 the impeller, and power comes into the box through the impeller? That #19 bolt behind the cap looks like a good item to come loose and let that gear walk on the shaft maybe.
  • jd265 said thank you

#8 jd265 OFFLINE  

jd265
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Well this is getting rich...

I went out to get some heat going in the garage and took a few minutes to poke around the front of the JD...

On a preliminary check the augers just rock back and forth and now do not spin 180 as they did previously but when I reach in to turn the impeller by hand which normally would in turn move the auger shaft, the impeller just spins with the shaft and the auger shaft does not spin and I now can move the augers 180 back and forth... so something has come undone in the gearbox... :(

Back soon,

Rob

#9 jd265 OFFLINE  

jd265
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 03:55 PM

All righty then... The ring gear is toast. I believe it was a coincidence that the rock jammed the auger and stopped the assembly which lead to the discovery that the augers would rotate as far as they did... The gear is showing signs of having been wearing for some time, lots of shiny slivers in the bottom of the gear case and a couple of chunks. Gear lube level was good.

The gen-u-wine JD shear pins are fine, slight sign of distortion as if they tried to let go, they did not though.

I called the local dealer, voice mail, I gotta believe they have left for the party...

Any input as to whether I should change both gears, the one on the shaft (pinion) looks fine.

We have no major snows forecast for a few days so here's hoping I can get a part soon and get her back together.

Thanks all.

Happy New Year...!

Rob

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Sorry to hear that Rob. I hope the parts are in stock. Is that one of the models with the cast iron gearbox? It looks like the 2 gears have the same number on the diagram no. 28. If so they are probably sold as a pair. I would think it's best to replace both of them. 

#11 jd265 OFFLINE  

jd265
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 07:00 PM

Sorry to hear that Rob. I hope the parts are in stock. Is that one of the models with the cast iron gearbox? It looks like the 2 gears have the same number on the diagram no. 28. If so they are probably sold as a pair. I would think it's best to replace both of them. 

Hey Brian,
Nope, cast aluminum and the ring gear is brass while the pinion is steel. The diagram is actually a bit different than the gearbox on the machine.
I agree still that it is probably best to replace both as a matched set.. Plus, as you mention, they may be sold as a set. I'll bring the shaft with the pinion to the shop and ask the guys there too...

The rest of the box seems fine, I wonder if it was an alignment issue since new... No matter, it will be repaired and ready to do battle soon.

Best,
Rob

#12 jd265 OFFLINE  

jd265
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Oh, it gets better...!

I went to the dealer this morning, gear, shaft and bearing in hand (the bearing replacement just because it feels a little tight) to order the replacement gear and I was not surprised to hear Ben the parts guy tell me that I would prolly have to order both gears together, well as the session wore on he informed me that the shaft is not available at all...!

This is a 2001 model JD blower... I have purchased parts from JD on much older models in the past. Seems that this particular model was build by Ariens and they had a falling out with JD some time back so the individual parts are not being supplied rather I can purchase the entire differential... Both shafts, gears, seals, housing... All of it. Well at least I can get that.

Ben did go on to say that perhaps there as the issue of the shaft, gears and related parts would all be as much as the gearbox assembly and that may be why JD sells only that way... I dunno. I also thought of going to the local Ariens dealer to see if the gear and shaft were available separately but I actually do not want mess around with that and take a chance of not getting one part or another.

So, lessons learned... I seldom, well, never research where JD goods are made, perhaps I will but I doubt it... LOL...

Thanks for the tips guys.
Rob

#13 jd265 OFFLINE  

jd265
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 10:23 PM

I picked up the gearbox and shaft assembly yesterday, rear bearing and new belts just to do it. The gearbox is the the cast iron box with more substantial gears that was available in the DDE... Good upgrade. I will install the assembly tomorrow, we had to ski today... :)

#14 mrf1002u OFFLINE  

mrf1002u
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10345
  • 95 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 04:26 PM

JD265,  glad to hear you will get her going.  I have to agree with JDBrian; sign up for JD Parts.  It is absolutely useful.  Especially when you want a price or are researching older parts.  You also have access to all the parts catalogs, even for stuff from the 30's.  Many of the parts catalogs you see for sale on ebay are available for free at JD.

If you can't find a part in stock at JD.  R.N. Johnson is good at finding obsolete JD parts.  http://www.rnjohnsoninc.com/