• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • Member No: 22241
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 05:14 PM

So the column is locked up tight on my tractor. I pulled it off, and currently have it soaked with penetrating oil. I also pulled out the grease zerk and squirted some in there as well. Are there any other tricks that I should know to get this thing freed up?

Here are some pics. Hopefully I'm not in over my head, I've only been a Bolens owner for 1 day!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 05:38 PM

one trick you can try is to pump oil into the hole with the zirk out and use a 1/4 20 bolt threaded into where the fitting its to Hydraulically Push the oil into the pivot but you have a good start taking it apart instead of just reefing on it 

#3 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 06:03 PM

it runs and drives you just got to work on the steering. when you start working with it like snowcasting, tilling and get more attachment witch you will because your goin to want to be on it all the time...if you got it apart an can see where its stuck i would heat it with a torch an not a little berz-omatic i mean a real torch an get it hot an try workin it back an forth for a while

Edited by 1967bolens collector, December 30, 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#4 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 08:39 PM

I had the same problem with an old 1220 I bought a while back.  I tried PB Blaster etc for over week.  Then I tried on of those things you fill with oil and put on the grease fitting and hit with a hammer.  No luck with that.  Then I hung the tractor in my garage with a chain hoist.  I didnt want to dissemble the tractor to remove the steering gear.  I'm kinda lazy like that. Then I heated it with a propane torch like the kind you use for plumbing work. Oxy and Acet would have been better but I didnt have that at my house. So I heated it for about 20 min and I still would not free up.  I then used a long heavy punch and a large ballpein hammer and wacked a few times and it freed right up.  It would then take grease as well.  The tractor I was working on had sat in a lean to for over 20 years. So I would think this process should work for you as yours may not be stuck as bad as mine was. But heat is the key and the more the better.  Good luck

Jack..

#5 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • Member No: 22241
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Thanks. I did heat it but I just have the little handheld LP. I didn't think it was getting hot enough. I'll keep dousing it in PB blaster for a day or two, then take it to work Wednesday and get mean with it. It came with a snowcaster, blade, tiller, and deck. As much as it is snowing I'm getting antsy