Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

How Do You Keep Your Snowblower From Clogging?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,362 Thanks
  • 8,697 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 08:04 AM

Moving south used to be a viable option, but Texas is out. Maybe Florida?

My chute still has decent paint, so I just waxed it up with a cleaner/carnuba wax from Meguiars.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#32 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 08:15 AM

I was just thinking yesterday, "time to hang the thrower on the 1650"
I'll spend some extra time, and clean and paint up the chute while it's in
the shop. I'll wax it up real good too.

#33 broken2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 05:23 PM

Two things, WOT helps plus adding rubber to auger where it meets the chute so space is as little as possible.

Also should add that I'm assuming belts and bearing/chain are all in good shape. Many years ago I had a brand new single stage and it worked as good as any two stage, but a lot of this older equipment is worn, and just needs a little TLC to be as good as new. The rubber trick really works great on worn augers, as the price to replace them if even available is very high.

This year I cut up some rubber mud flap and bolted it to the auger of the mf12/620 thrower as suggested. The center "thrower" part of the auger was pretty beat up and bent over, about 1/2" gap between it and the blower housing. I mounted the rubber so it is just brushing against the housing and will wear to fit.That little bit of rubber completely solved the problem. I didn't even clean up the back of the blower or spray anything on it, I went right to the end of the driveway and tried to plug the thrower up. I have used it 4 times this season so far with no clogging at all. It also seems to throw farther and draw less power from the tractor.

• DH1 said thank you

#34 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 07:43 PM

I spray mine with EZ Slide before the season starts.

• Member No: 61844
  • 37 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted August 29, 2014 - 10:20 PM

Old thread, but almost time again. I wax it real good first, in the fall. Then I use a product called Snow Jet. Get at HD or Lowes. Sutff works amazing. Once you try it, you won't use anything else. I have tried Pam. I call that stuff junk compared to Snow Jet. It's 9.00 a can. But it is well worth it to me. It keeps the entire blower clean. BTW, I use it on my, 42" single stage wheel horse.

• MH81 said thank you

#36 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,782 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 06:52 PM

I would definately recommed the graphite based paint, not only on the chute but the augar too.  The trick to this is to be sure the metal your putting it on is clean.  First time around put on 2 coats and it will last all winter.  As mentioned abouve, works great on the push blade also.  Next spring clean your mower deck up real good and put two coats on the under side.  Sledom have to wash it out but won't last all summer.  Recoat before it is compeltely gone.

#37 propane1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,894 Thanks
  • 3,122 posts

Posted November 02, 2014 - 06:19 PM

I spray tremclad gloss clear on my blowers, seems to work good. I put two or three coats on ,then thru the winter when blower is dry and warm I put one coat on it again. Noel.

#38 fxdb96 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 56857
  • 118 Thanks
  • 105 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 06:39 PM

I am planning on sandblasting, painting, and putting 3-4 layers of clearcoat... Just out of a spray can

#39 Delmar OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,257 Thanks
  • 2,384 posts

Posted November 09, 2014 - 07:53 PM

I found a 4-way blade for the 318 this summer, and sold the 2-way blade I had.  I gave the front of the blade a good wire brushing/sanding/cleaning and then several coats of rattle can John Deere yellow paint, so now it ought to be good to go with a little bit of waxing!