Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How Do You Keep Your Snowblower From Clogging?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 268 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 12:36 PM

I have experimented with ground speed, and amount of "bite" and it definitely makes a difference. It is a single stage "thrower" and I find you need to keep it well fed to get it to throw a good distance. Distance is important to me because I don't want snow banks at the end of my driveway making it difficult to see traffic when pulling out onto the road. I also clear a couple of my neighbors drives and they have limited places to put the snow. Overall I am very pleased/impressed with the mf620 and don't have any problems except for the end of the drive when the road crews load it up with slush. We had one hell of a storm the other day and I only had time to clear just enough to get people out (I was three hours late to work Thursday). Yesterday was clean up day and I was moving snow up to 3ft deep that had the appearance and texture of a root beer snow cone. They really go overboard with the road salt around here. The silicone spray solved the problem for my driveway but wore off at the neighbors. I'm sure with all the suggestions made here I'll be able to master the slush. Thanks Guys.

• MH81 said thank you

#17 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,289 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 04:28 PM

Two things, WOT helps plus adding rubber to auger where it meets the chute so space is as little as possible.

Also should add that I'm assuming belts and bearing/chain are all in good shape. Many years ago I had a brand new single stage and it worked as good as any two stage, but a lot of this older equipment is worn, and just needs a little TLC to be as good as new. The rubber trick really works great on worn augers, as the price to replace them if even available is very high.

• broken2 said thank you

#18 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 244 Thanks
  • 774 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 07:33 AM

I noticed that the slower speed likes to clog it up too, powering into a big bite seems to clear it out pretty good too.

Good fresh paint and a coat of wax will work wonders!  I was so mad when it dawned on me I took the time to paint the chute really good, but never touched the main head.  (I have another blower head that is ready for paint)  The problem was that there is a good 8" or so of chute on the blower head that kept clogging up.  I will admit, all I could dig up was some spray furniture polish!

• broken2 said thank you

#19 IamSherwood ONLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 6,713 Thanks
  • 7,000 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 07:50 AM

I watch a guy last year, do it the wrong way.

He had a wooden 2 x 4 about 4 ft long laying across his lap.

Every so often, he'd stop, grab the 2 x 4, and give the chute a wack.

I sat there in my truck, watching this, thinking that I should go and say

something to him. But then figured, what's the point. He probably

kicks the tractor when it runs out of gas too.

• broken2 said thank you

#20 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,578 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:38 AM

As Alan mentioned in his post, I use paraffin wax that you would use when canning the old fashioned way. I didn't have the time to do a restoration on my blower before I started using it. I cleaned the rust off of the inside of the chute with a wire wheel on my grinder and cleaned the surface with naphtha. after that dried, I heated the metal with my heat gun and melted the wax onto it. It has lasted through the two times that I have used it and seems to be still there. I imagine that it will need to be redone at some point though. I also noticed that despite the wax, I still get a little build up that has to be removed when I'm through, but I clean it up so that the turning mechanism doesn't get frozen in place between uses so it's just part of that. As everyone else mentioned, a full blower seems to work much better. I should mention that it's a single stage and I've never used a two stage.

• broken2 and MH81 have said thanks

#21 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,484 Thanks
  • 1,467 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:49 AM

Safety note.....  Whatever you do to keep the chute clog-free,  please, please don't try to un-clog it by hand.  I had a friend lose a couple of fingers while trying to clear a snowblower chute.

• broken2, MH81, caseguy and 2 others have said thanks

#22 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 94 Thanks
  • 263 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:55 AM

I watch a guy last year, do it the wrong way.
He had a wooden 2 x 4 about 4 ft long laying across his lap.

Every so often, he'd stop, grab the 2 x 4, and give the chute a wack.

I sat there in my truck, watching this, thinking that I should go and say
something to him. But then figured, what's the point. He probably
kicks the tractor when it runs out of gas too.

i saw a yesterday with a piece of plywood across the blower, just using it as a redneck type plow,
  • broken2 said thank you

#23 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 626 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 10:32 AM

This stuff is awesome!  Unless you dig up rocks with your blower, it should hold up well through at least one season.  We use it in our silage dump wagon & truck beds & REALLY makes a big difference in how the silage slides out.

I am on my second season after having painted our two- stage blower with EZ-Slide. It is holding up well, except at the impeller tips. I kind of expected that, as we have a gravel driveway.     Overall, I have a lot less chute clogging with the graphite paint versus the old paint. Well worth the effort. :thumbs:

• broken2 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#24 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 268 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 10:37 AM

Safety note.....  Whatever you do to keep the chute clog-free,  please, please don't try to un-clog it by hand.  I had a friend lose a couple of fingers while trying to clear a snowblower chute.

When my sister was still married to her ex-husband he got his hand caught in his cub cadets blower. He was at the end of the driveway when it clogged, he just idled it down but didn't disengage it. Then the idiot jammed his hand in there and it actually stalled the tractor. He couldn't get his hand out and was frantically waving his free hand at passing cars trying to get them to stop and help. He said they all just kept waving back at him.

• Titus said thank you

#25 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 244 Thanks
  • 774 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 12:52 AM

Our neighbor at our last place was injured pretty bad clearing a clog from a blower with the motor off...  It clogged up and she was freeing it up without it even running when the auger rolled, and it did a number on a finger.  Many stitches and a ride to the ER from one that was not even running!  You really have to watch them...  I think I am going to build a PVC pipe de-clogger that will fit in the seat tool box on the Massey for mine.

#26 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 15,600 Thanks
  • 22,056 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 01:05 AM

I think I am going to build a PVC pipe de-clogger that will fit in the seat tool box on the Massey for mine.

PVC is certainly cheaper than fingers.  Good Idea.  The first year I ran my blower, i carried a stick with me.  Only used it once.  Put it in the shed after spraying the chute with PAM and haven't needed it since.

One side note, If it is a chunk of ice or a rock that is holding it, they can let go all of a sudden... if the stick/pipe/whatever is in there, it can become a projectile.  Just another reason to shut down or at least not to put your head in front of it...

• FirefyterEmt said thank you

#27 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 244 Thanks
  • 774 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 01:29 AM

Oh yea!  without a doubt...  With the tractor, there is no excuse at all!  I can see a walk behind, because some of them must have the engine shut off, but not even disengaging the blower attachment??!!  Not that it's ok with a walk behind, it's just that I can see why someone would leave it running.

#28 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 06:28 PM

I would think most of the mentioned products would work, at least the first time installed. I would think most of them would wear off after a bit. I would think the secret would be to increase the engine rpm's and slow down drivng a bit and not such big bites.

Dick

#29 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 3,505 Thanks
  • 5,703 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 09:26 PM

I saw it somewhere here on the site, using a spray bottle with Rain-X.  I tried it today at dad's.  I sprayed down the chute and impeller and it worked like a charm on the two stage on the 318.

• MH81 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#30 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 15,600 Thanks
  • 22,056 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 07:52 AM

Just thought I'd :bump: this, going into the season and all...
  • IamSherwood and Newpaws493 have said thanks