• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:01 PM

I just got back in from the last of the blowing for the day. I decided this was way to much work, period.

Back story; this year, I put a set of ATV tires on the Sears SS12. They are 25" and kinda look like AGs.
Last year I had the original 23" tires with no fill, but did have 65 lbs per side wheel weights and the chains. It did OK, but I knew it could do better.

FFwd to this winter, when the snow finally did come, I was very confident that the weighted ATV tires with the Wheel Weights would do what I needed. Wrong, wrong, wrongitty wrong.

Tonight, I got just what I had to driveway wise, then decided to see what I could do. I bought 200 sheet metal screws, meaning to stud these tires... Just couldn't do it. Running screws into a tire on purpose is against my insticts and would just would give me another reason for needing therapy.

Because the tires are oversized, there was only about 1" of clearance with the fenders as up as I can get them. The set of 2 link ice biters I have were so close to touching in there I knew something bad would happen... I finally found a set of 4 link car chains that needed some TLC, but the cross chains were twisted in such a way that they had a lower profile.

They are on finally (ever put chains on by trouble light? You know why I said "finally") and the snow is all moved. I even went into the snow bank across the road and was able to move it back where it should be. Much more fun, no slipping, and a big smile.

So, from now on... winter =chains around here. Less stress that way.
  • wvbuzzmaster, backwoods and marlboro180 have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Yep, I learned that a while ago. There is no replacement for chains. Not weight, not a dif lock, not 4wd. Nothing I've tried makes as much difference. If I get my 3000+lb 2320 stuck it's not a good time. I have a set of chains for it. They weigh about 60lbs each. I wimped out and didn't put them on today but I probably should have. We are going to get nailed by a nor'easter tonight and tomorrow. Sounds like at least 12" of snow and wet snow/ice pellets towards the end of the storm. I'll probably be out in the garage putting them on tomorrow morning. And yes, I've used a trouble light to put them on as well. I've struggled with them trying to get them as tight as possible but in the end I found that using tensioners to keep them tight is much easier. 

• MH81 and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:26 PM

I put my chains on a couple of days ago and found that it is much easier to do when the wheels are off the tractor, a lot easier to get them on tight.

I think the best way is just set yourself up with 2 sets of tire + rims

Winter tires - loaded turfs on rims with chains that you can bolt on wheel weights if needed.

Summer tires - Whatever tire you use in the summer on rims, if needed, loaded and wheel weights.

Glad to hear you got your driveway plowed.

• MH81 and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:29 PM

So, there's still almost 0 clearance under the fenders. Pull the fenders off?

Yes, I gotta agree with you there. Put screws into perfectly good tires, just

doesn't make sense here either.

• MH81 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:52 PM

Glad to read you got it worked out.  Yep, chains are necessary.  awesome donuts without 'em  tho, if ya can get up enough speed/traction to do it!

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:52 PM

I have a spare set of wheels just for the winter and the chains stay right on them all the time.  They are liquid loaded OEM turf's with 2 link chains.  The summer tires are my Deestone AG's on two tone wheels (unloaded).

This year, after looking at my bungee straps, I think I need to replace them for next year...  Any thoughts?  I have these round bungee cord straps with 4 plastic hooks that came with the chains.

I agree though, to move snow... you really have to be chained, 2 link... not the 4 link ones too!

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:57 PM

This year, after looking at my bungee straps, I think I need to replace them for next year... Any thoughts? I have these round bungee cord straps with 4 plastic hooks that came with the chains.

I agree though, to move snow... you really have to be chained, 2 link... not the 4 link ones too!
I work at an appliance store, so this is how I get enough, but I use dishwasher door springs. They are about 7" long, I run them across the tire from 10:00-2:00 and 8:00-4:00. I always get the inside a little to tight or perfect an put these on the outside where I can get to them if I need to. Might check with your local appliace store and see if you can get a few off the haul away units they scrap.
  • wvbuzzmaster and farmer john have said thanks

#8 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:14 PM

I don't use any bungee cords or springs and I don't have a problem with the chains coming loose. ???

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:15 PM

Chains are hard to beat in snow and on ice! But, for when you get stuck in snow (with any tires) the best thing to use to get out is ash! I always keep some from the woodstove laying around... just in case. :D

#10 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:23 PM

No way could I put screws into a tire.  I hear that the hex heads work, but I could not do that.  I had something in a tire of my 82 Chevy last year.  I didn't remove it because I didn't want to change the tire so I drove to a tire place.  They worked on it for awhile and finally removed a piece of metal about 4 inches long.  It looked like it may have started out as a railroad spike.  The tire never leaked and still doesn't.  I have had leaky tires and have seen others that were, nails, screws and once, a tiny piece of wire that appeard to have been a T-50 staple in it's former life.  No, I could not put screws into a tire on purpose.

I would put chains around my tires though.

#11 motobreeder ONLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:34 PM

I have a 2-stage blower on a Cub Cadet 2206.

I bought my 2-link chains from the local JD store - it's OK - they aren't painted green and now that they are starting to rust they match my CC.

Haven't tried chains on lug-treads, but find they work great on turf tires.  I think the flat surface of the turf tires keeps more of the chain in contact with the ground.

The tires are weighted with a mix of RV anti-freeze and water.  Figure that if the wheels dump on the lawn, the RV stuff is safer.

For this year I picked up a couple 50lb wheel weights that fit on the inside side of the rims.  I'm having no problems with traction this year.

Like someone else here, the inside side of the chains are adjusted just right or the next link in.  On the outside side, I just snake a bungee cord around the chain to keep it tight.

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Chains and some weight has always worked best in my book.  

#13 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 11:03 PM

has anyone had any luck with the rubber tire grips they sell ,i hate to say chains because they are not. years ago at work on the night shift we made sets for guys out of car tires then bolted them together, inflated the tire on  tight the guys loved them but im retired now

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 11:28 PM

I remember the first time I put studs in my dirt tires on my dirt bike to ride on the ice. I didn't think I would ever be able to do it.

#15 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 12:51 AM

... This year, after looking at my bungee straps, I think I need to replace them for next year...  Any thoughts?  I have these round bungee cord straps with 4 plastic hooks that came with the chains. ...

http://www.tirechain...DEN_TRACTOR.HTM

I bought a set of these when I got the chains for the HT20D.  They work just fine.