• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 11:01 AM

You want to use something real fine on points. (400-600 grit) After you do that, a little brake cleaner and a nice crisp bill or white business card is good for finishing it off. On new points, that should be all you need.

• Bolensnewbie said thank you

#32 Bolensnewbie OFFLINE  

Bolensnewbie
  • Member No: 22486
  • 4 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 09:33 PM

I took the cover off of the points and used a spark plug tester and tried it and it tested fine.  I put the cover on and tried it and it did not work.  Now I know that something was grounding it out.  I temporarily put electrical tape on one side of the cables and condenser and it worked.  Thank you all for your help, I would not have gotten this far without your collective knowledge.

Now, once I get the fuel system back together, I should be able to get this thing running.

#33 Bolensnewbie OFFLINE  

Bolensnewbie
  • 4 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 10:27 AM

I got the tractor started and running.  This was a monumental day for me and my father-in-law!  Thank you all so much for all of the help.

One last question, I am a little confused about the throttle and choke cables.  I think the throttle cable attaches to the right of the steering column and then the other end goes to the governor.  And the choke cable attaches to the left of the steering column?  I am not sure about the mounting position of these cables because they are missing.  Where can I get replacements?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#34 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 06:22 AM

I am not familiar with your specific tractor. There are generic throttle cables available at most stores that sell lawn mowers. Your local mower repair shop should be able to make up a custom fit cable for you. YouTube had a good video on how to make up one. Good Luck, Rick

BTW we would like to see pictures of your tractor working when you are done.  

#35 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,679 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 09:02 AM

These cables were sort of brand specific.

Is your entire assembly gone or do you still have the control housing?

Here's a picture of what they look like

Attached Thumbnails

• 000_0150.jpg

#36 Bolensnewbie OFFLINE  

Bolensnewbie
  • 4 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 12:48 PM

Ok.  I got the tractor timed properly and I just made my own choke cable, which seems to be working fine.  I drove the tractor around the yard and even though I changed gears, it seems to be moving kind of slow.  Is there a low gear range and high gear range on these?  I had to push the handle on the far right (see picture in previous post) forward to get the wheels engaged.  I am not quite sure what all of the handles do.  I know the PTO handle and what it does, but the other two I am unsure about.  As far as the gears go this is how I think they are set up:

R    2

1    3

Thank you all for the help.  I could not have gotten this far on this without your combined knowledge.

#37 Bolensnewbie OFFLINE  

Bolensnewbie
  • 4 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 12:50 PM

I am not familiar with your specific tractor. There are generic throttle cables available at most stores that sell lawn mowers. Your local mower repair shop should be able to make up a custom fit cable for you. YouTube had a good video on how to make up one. Good Luck, Rick

BTW we would like to see pictures of your tractor working when you are done.  

I will post some pictures once I get it all back together.  I am doing some fiberglass work on the fenders and have to finish painting the hood first.  This is turning out pretty good considering it was just a pile of parts someone took apart years ago.

#38 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 02:39 PM

I will post some pictures once I get it all back together.  I am doing some fiberglass work on the fenders and have to finish painting the hood first.  This is turning out pretty good considering it was just a pile of parts someone took apart years ago.

You can download the manuals from our manuals section for more inrormation on operating the tractor. Good Luck, Rick

#39 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,679 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted September 24, 2013 - 03:09 PM

The Hi/Low is the lever on the right

Attached Thumbnails

• Shift.png

#40 Bolensnewbie OFFLINE  

Bolensnewbie
  • 4 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 07:51 AM

The Hi/Low is the lever on the right

Thanks!  That picture helped a lot.  What would make the low work, but not the high?

#41 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,679 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 08:05 AM

Thanks!  That picture helped a lot.  What would make the low work, but not the high?

Are you sure your free wheeling pin is in? Sometimes people remove the pin and the friction alone will make the tractor move in low but in high it wont.

• MH81 said thank you

#42 Bolensnewbie OFFLINE  

Bolensnewbie
  • 4 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Are you sure your free wheeling pin is in? Sometimes people remove the pin and the friction alone will make the tractor move in low but in high it wont.

Yes.  I took it out while I was working on the tractor so that I could move it around, but maybe it is not seated good.  I will check that out.

#43 Bolensnewbie OFFLINE  

Bolensnewbie
  • 4 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 08:46 AM

Now that I think about it, I may not have locked the positraction back on the other wheel.  I will look at that too.

#44 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted September 27, 2013 - 02:06 PM

Now that I think about it, I may not have locked the positraction back on the other wheel.  I will look at that too.

You do not want to keep the "positraction" in the left rear wheel engaged all the time.  .....It was only to be used when loss of traction occured. 

Keeping the differential "locked" all the time will result in wear, and possible breakage, in the transaxle.

In normal operation, the red knob in the left wheel should be turned all the way out (counter-clockwise).

• Newpaws493 and Bolensnewbie have said thanks

#45 Bolensnewbie OFFLINE  

Bolensnewbie
  • 4 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 09:17 AM

You do not want to keep the "positraction" in the left rear wheel engaged all the time.  .....It was only to be used when loss of traction occured. 

Keeping the differential "locked" all the time will result in wear, and possible breakage, in the transaxle.

In normal operation, the red knob in the left wheel should be turned all the way out (counter-clockwise).

Good to know.  I will investigate further.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tractor