• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 08:41 PM

I was not home all day and when I got back I had to go split kindling wood, to get the fire going. So, you ask why the fire went out in the first place? It is rather simple... nobody wanted to go outside to get firewood! I had also just split a bunch of kindling wood the other day, knowing I always need it since everybody always lets it go out. Well, that was burned so that nobody had to go and get real firewood. To add insult to injury, not only was my kindling burnt... but the ash I had off to the side was gone too! I always keep about 5 pieces of nice knot-free ash logs to the side, those are the pieces I split into kindling. Since it was gone, I had to split the stuff that had all of the knots in it.

As it is now, I am the only one who is consistent at keeping the fire going while home, the only one that brings in firewood, the only one who wakes up twice a night to feed the fire, the only one that splits kindling, the only one to clean out the ash, and the only one who can lite the fire without smoking up the whole basement. This got me thinking... who takes over these chores at your houses?

Ok, my little rant is over. :D

#2 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 08:51 PM

Don't have a wood stove here, but I would be pretty hosed if I came home to that. I think I would throw all the firewood outside and put the fire out before I left the house again.

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,653 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 08:53 PM

No wood here!  Too much work to get the wood ready each year and now I guess lots of work to keep running good, according to your post I'm reading!   LP, most work I have to do is read the gauge and Pay for it. Someone else does the filling, the delivering, the cleaning.....oh, wait, no cleaning. Guess I DO have to clean up boiler and keep it going each fall, that's enough!

• Michiganmobileman said thank you

#4 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 08:53 PM

It's divided up pretty evenly here. Dad and I cut,split, and stack it. My little sisters and I haul it from the woodshed to the porch(with a Cub Cadet, of course) Mom is usually the one that keeps the stove going and fills the woodbox. Dad takes care of the ashes.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:01 PM

I stack the wood, fill the woodbox, chop the kindling etc. I usually make and maintain the fires when I'm home. My wife does the fires when I'm at work. We are only using the fireplace as supplemental heat, not as a main source of heat, so if there isn't a fire it's not a big deal. 

Maybe you need to have a little family meeting about this issue. Perhaps when others realize that you are doing all the work you can get some help with it. 

#6 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:02 PM

My wife will and does with out complaint keeps the fire going. I do cut split and stack. We both haul wood inside.   I hope the next place is on propane... My desire is to slack like JS5020..  :smilewink:  :thumbs:

#7 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:03 PM

We have a pellet stove here, same story. No one will load it, they don't have a clue how to start it or when it needs cleaned out. They also have a high tolerance for dry bearing squeal or just too lazy to walk over and turn it off

#8 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:09 PM

This winter we are using wood as the primary heat source for 2 houses and the garage/shop.  For our primary residence the majority is bought cut, split and delivered.  We burn about 2 1/2 cord, Wife ande I stack it, and move it to the front porch and we both load the stove.  Usually my

job to clean out the ashes.  The folk's house has a wood stove that we all tend as needed, the wood is from here there and everywhere, did buy a splitter to speed things up a bit.  The shop stove is used as needed and I burn all kinds of "stuff" along with wood, in that one.

#9 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:35 PM

NO wood here.

Dick

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:55 PM

..Maybe you need to have a little family meeting about this issue. Perhaps when others realize that you are doing all the work you can get some help with it. 

Are you going to tell them?! Cause I know that none of them would take kindly to a meeting about this! Besides, I would not be surprised if they already see that I do all of the work.

#11 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:00 PM

I cut, split, stack, haul, stack, haul, start, feed, clean out ash, etc. Wife feeds the fire when I'm not home, and keeps the floor/stove area clean.

#12 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:02 PM

Are you going to tell them?! Cause I know that none of them would take kindly to a meeting about this! Besides, I would not be surprised if they already see that I do all of the work.

Let the fire go out, put on some long johns and a parka, then wait.  :bigrofl:

Edited by nra1ifer, December 29, 2012 - 10:02 PM.

• Amigatec, farmerall and Team_Green have said thanks

#13 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:03 PM

I take care of it throughout the day as I am here.  My wife is up earlier for work so she takes care of it early morning and sometimes during the night, if she hears the oil furnace running.

As far as bring wood in, we both bring in a few pieces at a time but try to keep a few day's worth in the house in case of bad weather.  Once a week or so, I try to get my daughter and son in law to load us up good.

I ordered some from a craigslist dealer as it sounded like a good deal.  Most folks here cut the wood to long to fit in my little Jotul 602, so it's hard to find wood.  The guy said, yeah, I usually cut it longer but can keep it short for you. He took my $120 today and dumped it in my yard.  The kids came to stack it for me and guess what?  Over half of it is well over 16 inches long and 16" is the very max.  The manual says 14 1/2 inches if I remember right.  I know that if I try a piece 16 and one half inch, the door won't close.

I ordered a truck load from someone else and should have it tomorrow. Got my fingers crossed that it fits and is dry.

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:23 PM

I do it all here.  When I am out, someone will fill it but most times I can to call or text them a reminder.  All women here except for me.  They will help me haul it in if they need me to drive them to the mall. :rolling:

#15 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:50 PM

I take care of the wood at camp.  No wood at home.

I stack it, I split it for kindling, bring it inside, light the fire and tend it.  It is not a primary heat source under normal conditions, so it goes out overnight usually.  If there are any coals in the am, it is no matches.  If not, only one match.  I like the work, at my own pace that is.  

If anyone else does anything, it usually is not replacing any wood from outside to inside.