2 replies to this topic

#1 INDIANHEADMAN OFFLINE  

INDIANHEADMAN

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1147
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted September 02, 2010 - 11:03 PM

I started reconditioning a John Deere 60 since it was John Deere"s original Harry home owners lawn tractor and thought it would be a nice part of garden tractor history. What I did not count on was the Tecumseh's electrical system with the diodes/fuses. I have found a used replacement but still I have nothing when I turn the key. Well I checked ground and power from battery:confuse: but still nothing, so I thought," we'll post the problem and maybe someone will read, and maybe the majic of GTalk will take over :blush2:. I can only try; Let's see what happens now:confuse:.

#2 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted September 03, 2010 - 12:02 AM

Try Weekend Freedom Machines Do a forum search for the 60 or 70 models. I have a 70 and have found a whole bunch of info on there, especially about the difficulty of these Tecumseh engines.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 03, 2010 - 06:43 AM

I started reconditioning a John Deere 60 since it was John Deere"s original Harry home owners lawn tractor and thought it would be a nice part of garden tractor history. What I did not count on was the Tecumseh's electrical system with the diodes/fuses. I have found a used replacement but still I have nothing when I turn the key. Well I checked ground and power from battery:confuse: but still nothing, so I thought," we'll post the problem and maybe someone will read, and maybe the majic of GTalk will take over :blush2:. I can only try; Let's see what happens now:confuse:.

A diode is just like a check valve for electricity. It only allows electricity to flow in one direction. basically it filters out "noise" in a DC (battery powered) system. Do you have a meter and/or a schematic/wiring digram?