Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Snowcaster.....things Don't Add Up....what Am I Missing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:20 AM

A fine good morning to you all. I was thumbing through ebay this morning and ran across this snowcaster. Several things caught my attention so I thought I'd get your take on things:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a7cf3caf0

sc 1.JPG

sc2.JPG

1) It seems like a fairly steep price. I'm used to seeing snowcasters run $250-$350. Am I missing something?

2) It would appear it's missing the bearing on the drive shaft near the drive pulley. Is it there but just hidden?

3) I'm accustomed to the S/N plate on the left hand side (facing the snowcaster) not on the right hand side down near the chute. Which is the customary place for the S/N plate?

4) The chute turn rod bracket has been modified; appears to have had a second piece added to raise the turn rod. Is this typical or a "personal" modification due to adding the cab? (In any case it gives me an idea for fixing my turn rod problem on my '71 444)

5) What do you surmise the eye bolts on the chute and chute deflector are for? 

6) It may just be a blurry picture but the auger mounting hub doesn't appear to have holes around the edge for adjusting the clearance between the auger and the housing. Am I just seeing things?

Well there you have it. Thanks for clearing things up for me.

#2 mac102004 OFFLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 225 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:40 AM

1) Yep, it's a steep price.

2) It does look that way to me, unless it's painted black.

3) This is a much newer snowcaster than yours, I can't say with 100% confidence, but I wouldn't be suprised if it got moved sometime during production of these blowers.

4) I can't tell if it's a personal modification or not, but Case/Ingersoll did sell an extension for the support bracket. It's for use with the cab that is installed on that tractor.

5) Remote chute deflector?

6) Again, not 100% confident, but I think the design of those hubs changed over time also. You could check the parts diagrams for SB48 and see.

Remember. this blower was likely made 15-20 years after yours.

• Moosetales said thank you

#3 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 09:01 AM

I found a pic that answers a few of my questions......

2) bearing is mounted on an inside bracket not on the main support beam (if that's what it's called).

3) yup, the S/N tag was moved to the right of the chute

SB48.jpg

Based on the pic I'm guessing the hubs check out also. Regarding the price, there was a NIB SB48 for sale on Craigslist back in September 2012 for $1500. Not sure if it sold or for how much so I'm not sure whether or not $600 is fair or not. What a difference a couple decades makes in design and price. :D

#4 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 09:30 AM

Found a side pic of the snowcaster. Hubs are correct.

SB48 side view.jpg