• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 12:17 AM

Hey everyone ... I posted awhile ago about tire options for winter and i said "I don't want to run chains" i have my Ag tires Loaded with washer fluid factory weights and a weight box

washer fluid was 100+ pounds 

factory weights at 45 each 90

and the weight box with 100 pounds

so there is almost 300 extra pounds on the tractor once the blowers on there there is almost 500 well i tried the Combo when we got a Massive snow storm Thursday Well i Couldn't get out of the yard i found some Ice i did got out front (on pavement with almost 1 foot of snow) i got thru some of it i worked most of the day (it was difficult getting places as the roads were not plowed evey one With out 4x4 got stuck !) i did all the drive ways No problem (with drifts 2-3 feet high) well to night i touched up out front with the blower (i was going to take it off and put the blade on) and my brother asked Ty can you blow a path to my "fort" i said sure i started into the path started to spin dropped the blower tryed to blow it and spun some more next thing i know its up to the axles so i get my big chain throw in under the tire comes back some try it again just spits it out so i try to go forward i go WAY farther than expected and im REALLY stuck so i asked dad for the truck keys .. "what do you need the keys for" i got the tractor stuck like Really stuck and im going to pull it out i get i all set up with the chain he comes out "That chain better not scratch my Chrome tow hooks" IM like LOL :) ya i was just checking that We got it Out turns out i hit a bit of ice (again)causing the tires to lose traction and that caused me to get stuck on this path leading me to have to pull it out  i got in the back yard and put the blade on and i cleaned up the Mess i did the front and had the blade angled it caught causing the tractor to Spin side ways and down there i am Again Stuck with the New led head lights just Blasting in the front windows i got it unstuck and in to its home (the tractor shed) i had thought i dont need massive Traction but if i put small hex head screws (like 1/8x7/16) into the lug of the tire not every lug like one screw skip a lug one screw.... do you think it would work for the Little bit of ice just the only think is i dont what to Screw up my tires .. LOL didyouseewhatididthere has any one tryed such a thing ? the tires are tubed BTW i know they do that with dirt bike tires but i dont want a massive stud (like the Screw in studs) as i drive on drive ways and metal is Really hard on Asphalt and could i take them out in the spring and put them back in come next winter

Edited by 8tyman8, December 29, 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#2 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 05:49 AM

Small hex heads give excellent traction.  Ice racers use them on their tires.

They are hard on paved surfaces though, which is why they aren't allowed on road vehicles.  Even standard studs, which have a lot less sharp edges, can only be used during the winter months.  Still, for the limited amount of time and travel you'll be doing, and the light weight of a GT, I doubt they'll do much harm.  

I'd try it somewhere it doesn't matter much and see what happens.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,509 Thanks
  • 7,373 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 06:07 AM

I used to use studded snows on my car but they turned out to not help that much. I just keep a set of the cable "chains" in the car now. For my little tractors, I use chains. If it is icy, I use chains on my big tractor too. Chains tend to give a big bite into the snow. If your chains have the ice bars welded onto the links then they will grab ice pretty well. Little points from a few studds don't grab much.

Which tractor are you using? Why don't you want to use chains. I pick up old car chains for $2 per set at tag sales. The ones from small cars I can cut down to fit tractors. I make stretchers from old truck tire tubes. Learn the correct way to put chains on and they are easy and very helpful. I agree with your concerns about the screws damaging the tires.

When it gets light here, I've got to work on two of my tractors.  We're expecting 8"+ today. Good Luck

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 06:17 AM

On ags the chains will tend to fall between the lugs which will cause less chain contact with pavement, but in your case might be just right to gain traction.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:17 AM

AG tires are pretty much useless on ice. Worse than turfs. I had conventional 2 link chains on AGs and they worked fine. You need to keep them tight. Some of the cross chains will tend to fall between the links but there is still enough there to work. 4 link chains would not be very effective. Check tirechains.com for alternatives. They make v bar chains as well as conventional. 

You might want to check with ATV shops. I've seen some locally that had studded tires and they appeared to be a special stud, not a hex head bolt. I still think chains are your best option. For the cost they are good insurance and you can remove them easily for the summer unlike studs. It's pretty much a fact of life that you need chains for some conditions. I have a 4wd tractor and the 4wd is great for getting you unstuck when there is traction but on ice it is just 4 wheels spinning instead of 2 and doesn't help near as much as a good set of chains. 

• MH81 said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,688 Thanks
  • 28,330 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:25 AM

I had high hopes for the tires I put on the sears this summer, unfortunately, they aren't doing as well as I'd hoped.

My problem is they are oversized for the tractor and not enough room for regular chains with any margin for error. I may have to go back to the unfilled turfs and chains.

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 08:22 AM

I agree, chains on turfs, is the only way to go on ice.

Ty, what tractor are you running there? Tire size?

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,240 Thanks
  • 29,695 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:14 AM

The screws used for tires are special hardened, but normal screws would last long enough I'd think.

Here's some that specify for ag tires even:  http://www.kenjones....?XGID=ICE_STUDS

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,222 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 02:56 PM

I have seen tire chains for ag tires for larger tractors. The ones I saw had short chain from each side of tire. Thes 2 chains from the inside and 2 chains from the outside were all linked togeteher with a seperate piece of chain.

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,502 Thanks
  • 6,372 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 04:25 PM

Yeah, the ag tires need the ones with diamond or triangle? shape that stays on outsid of lugs to stay in pattern. They cost about twice as much though. $200 to $300 easily for even smaller big tractor tires. Haven't seen those for GT's like that. Gonna have to look at the link above for the screws, sounds interesting. Oops! 100 of the smaller studs were almost $100 and tool was $15. I'll have to pass on those. I'm sure 100 wouldn't do a pair of bigger tractor tires.

Edited by glgrumpy, December 29, 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 04:51 PM

These otta keep you out of trouble. :thumbs: