• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alcolvr OFFLINE  

Alcolvr
  • Member No: 20622
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 08:25 PM

After a long search I finally found and bought a snowblower  #842-240711 to fit my 20HP Onan powered Craftsman 2 tractor. If this latest snowfall is any indication of what to expect, I guess this snowblower will certainly get a workout. I used my 48" blade for this recent snowfall and pushed thru 11" deep snow. It was hard work for the old tractor. Plowing is basically brute force and blowing snow is less stress on the tractor's frame and running gear. I expect this blower should really make the snow fly!

• MH81, tractorgarden and iron Mike have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 10:29 PM

Nice find,

I think that's real close to the one I have on my Sears.  It's a single stage unit, right?

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 10:37 PM

Glad you found a blower for your sears. I think you will like it, Be aware of weight the blower plus the weight of the snow that builds up on top can get awful heavy. Be sure to keep front axle and wheels well greased. Have a great day from Shawn in Punxsutawney.

• iron Mike said thank you

#4 Alcolvr OFFLINE  

Alcolvr
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:32 AM

Yes, single stage. I have to say with all the talk of 2-stage blowers that the single stage models are just as good but work best with the higher HP tractors. I saw an old interview of an executive from Haban who built the blowers for Sears. He said the 2-stage blowers were NO better than the single stage and that the reason for making them was wasnt much more than a sales gimmick. He built them so I suppose he ought to know. I believe that video is called the Joe Haban Story. It was very interesting. As for grease, I have just greased her axles & kingpins for the second time since I put the plow blade on. As the old saying goes, grease is cheap and parts arent! I still have to go get my blower. Waiting for some decent road conditions. That's odd, want to get snowblower but cant because of snow! LOL! 

• iron Mike and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:50 AM

Glad to hear you getting the blower you've been after .  I never had one with the gravel drive I think I would mess it up more then I do plowing lol . But if it ever gets paved that's going to be something I'll want , Al

#6 Alcolvr OFFLINE  

Alcolvr
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 09:40 AM

My driveway is gravel but it's well compacted and by now frozen (16 Degrees as I type this). I have a thin layer of snow left on it because my front blade has no real downpressure on it and doesnt scrape down to the bare gravel surface. I will set the blower height enough above the driveway surface so as not to pick up any stones. My driveway is level so a little coat of snow on it is not a problem and when the weather warms it melts quickly in the sunlight.

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 05:40 PM

2 stage blower is Much better than a single stage blower.Wait till you try to blow a bit of wet snow with a single stage.All they do is plug up.I have a 40" single stage Haban blower on my tractor now.

The thing is that with a Dual stage blower,you need a few more Horses under your hood to keep the impeller spinning fast enough to eject the snow.

I sped my blower up a good bit (Changed the size of the PTO pulley)and it Helps but it will still plug up in wet snow.I have an old mid 70s MTD 960 with Cast Iron 16hp briggs single cylinder and 4speed with granny gear.

I'm going to cut up a tire and try riveting 2 chunks to the kickers.It may be just enough to keep it from plugging up. 

Those big 2 stage blowers work awesome with a big old Onan or Opposed twin briggs.

Edited by EricFromPa, December 30, 2012 - 05:42 PM.

• iron Mike said thank you

#8 Alcolvr OFFLINE  

Alcolvr
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hi EricFromPa , If wet snow proves to be a problem with the single stage blower it would be nice to have a "plan B", that is my 16/6 Sears on standby with a blade mounted. Problem with that is I still need to install the replacement 18 HP IC twin and find a blade for it! Oh well, next winter maybe.

You mentioned your MTD 960 with a 16 HP Cast Iron Briggs. I have a 1964 Simplicity Landlord that I would love to stuff one of those old 16 HP Briggs into. They are getting fairly scarce especially in nice condition. There are lots of folks who say the torque from the big old singles is better than many newer engines with higher rated HP.

#9 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 10:14 AM

I'll second the opinion that 2-stage blowers work better than single stage units. My 2-stage will really make the snow fly. 

#10 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 06:35 PM

There are alot of the old Gilson tractors still around.you can pick one up really cheap.The older 60s-70s and very early 80s Gilsons have the big Single Briggs 14-16hp engines.Problem with the Gilson GTs is attachments.They are very hard to find attachments in usable condition.

My MTD 1400 with 40" blower never runs out of power.Even after I sped up the blower.I changed the pulley from 4 1/4" to 6".The engine barely grunts even with the blower plugged up and pushing snow around like a plow.This is in 13" of wet snow to.

I just picked up another 14hp briggs single down at the scrap yard,but this one has a recoil starter on it.It came off of an old golf coarse reel type mower with scully.I also got the dual wheel adapters off of it.I need to find another set of 23x8.50x12 AGs for my other rims before I use those.Or sell them on ebay,they are selling for around $100-150.I paid $35 for the engine and the adapters.Also picked up a Cub Cadet 169 and a JD 175 while I was down there for $150.Both are complete and I have both running within a couple hours.The hydro pump may be kaput on the cub but It's gona get restored.The JD 175 is allready sold to my brother for $250.I did pretty good with this haul.