Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I Was A Little Late This Year, But Finally Got The 850 Ready For The Snow!

bolens 850 snowcaster snow caster blower

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 649 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 04:50 PM

the pink J.D its got decals that say jane deere or something? i think i know what 1 your talking about

#17 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5236
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Your 850 is looking good. I want to do my 1257 over and I want that beautiful "Burgundy" wheel paint. Can you tell me where you got it? Mine got left in the sun this past summer and the paint faded. I've owned mine for five years or so and really worked the crap out of it. Time to pretty her up. I'm also looking for a snow caster as mine is pretty well used up. thanks for your posts.

#18 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 10:29 PM

Your 850 is looking good. I want to do my 1257 over and I want that beautiful "Burgundy" wheel paint. Can you tell me where you got it?

Well, which paint are you talking about?  If you are talking about the front wheels, I haven't painted them on mine yet, so they are still the "original" paint.  (By "original" I don't necessarily mean the paint Bolens put on at the factory either, but just the paint that was on there when I bought it as I can't say for sure that they were never repainted.)  However, if you are talking about the rear wheels, I did repaint them, but not in a factory color either.  I was looking for the closest match I could find for the red color at TSC and decided upon MF Red in the Valspar Tractor and Implement Paint (which they no longer carry at TSC anymore and they only carry the Majic paint now).  However, the Massey Ferguson Red paint looks closer to like a Fire Engine Red I think than that deeper "Burgundy Red" you are talking about.  Maybe AC Red or some other type of red paint might more closely match the Bolens Red used on the wheels?  Not sure.  However, even though it is not "factory", I actually like the brighter red of the rear wheels than the darker red of the front wheels and at some point I will repaint the front wheels the same color as the rear wheels so they match.

Edited by MailmAn, January 02, 2013 - 10:42 PM.

• iron Mike said thank you

#19 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 10:40 PM

I'm also looking for a snow caster as mine is pretty well used up.

Do you already have a snowcaster now?  If so, what is wrong with it?  I obtained a snowcaster a while ago, but it was incomplete and I couldn't get it working with my tractor at the time.  So, I found a good deal on another complete snowcaster from a G-14 (the black one that is on my tractor in the photos).  So, my other snowcaster (which is red, possibly from like a 1050 or something similar?) is now just sitting in my backyard under a foot of snow.  It has a good gearbox, housing, auger, chain drive, etc. that could be cannibalized to fix another snowcaster.  It is fairly complete, but is missing the hitch assembly to mount it to the tractor frame as well as the chute control crank.  If it is something you could potentially use though, let me know and we could work something out.  I know you're a ways away up in Maine though...

Edited by MailmAn, January 02, 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#20 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5236
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 11:48 PM

Do you already have a snowcaster now?  If so, what is wrong with it?  I obtained a snowcaster a while ago, but it was incomplete and I couldn't get it working with my tractor at the time.  So, I found a good deal on another complete snowcaster from a G-14 (the black one that is on my tractor in the photos).  So, my other snowcaster (which is red, possibly from like a 1050 or something similar?) is now just sitting in my backyard under a foot of snow.  It has a good gearbox, housing, auger, chain drive, etc. that could be cannibalized to fix another snowcaster.  It is fairly complete, but is missing the hitch assembly to mount it to the tractor frame as well as the chute control crank.  If it is something you could potentially use though, let me know and we could work something out.  I know you're a ways away up in Maine though...

Yes, I do have a snow caster. The auger is totally worn out. Bearing seized and I monkey rigged it but the auger itself is worn thin and pretty banged up. Looks like someone ran into a stone wall. I would be very interested in your spare. Would have to see if it is affordable to get it here though. Thanks for your reply.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, 850, snowcaster, snow, caster, blower