• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 09:55 AM

Is it just me or did the forums get updated/changed or did someone install an update to the forum software or something?  I'm just curious because it seems like they have been changing a lot recently and now within the last week it seems to have changed a lot!  It first started a couple months back I'd reckon when it seems like a lot of the smileys got replaced or just removed.  There are a lot fewer smileys overall I think and a lot of the smaller ones like this:  :wave:   :D   :smilewink:   got replaced with bigger, more stylized ones like this:  :cowboy_shooter:       :biting_nails:   :driving_big_tractor:

But, like I said, now within the past week or so, it seems quite a few more things have changed.  The quote boxes from when you quote a previous post look different and the text inside of them looks a lot smaller now.  They are also grayish now instead of greenish.  But the biggest problem seems to be, at least for me, that now I can't insert a photo or a link or any other content into a post!  I've been trying to write a post and include some pictures in it, but when I click on the Image button in the Full Editor, it just greys out my screen and I can't do anything.  I can't click on anything else in the window and I have to refresh my browser and then I lose all of my work!  It is very frustrating.  I tried restarting my computer thinking it was a problem with Windows, but it still keeps doing it.  I'm using IE 8 on Windows 7 and I had no problems with using the forums up until a few days ago.  I haven't tried it in Firefox yet to see if that makes any difference.

Is anyone else having problems with the forums as well or is it just me or just my computer for some odd reason?  I'd really like to update my progress with my Bolens', but I can't if the forums won't cooperate with me!  Thanks!

Edited by MailmAn, December 28, 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 10:06 AM

George did an update & there are glitches as usual.  Some have been fixed by the forum service, others are being worked on.  If they continue to be an issue, George will roll everything back to the way it was before the latest upgrade.

• MH81 and MailmAn have said thanks

#3 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 02:58 PM

Okay, thanks!  Good to know.  I'll keep an eye out to see if things get squared away at all.  BTW, who is George anyways?  I'm assuming he is a site admin if not THE site admin?  Hope to see things working smoothly again soon.  I'm going through GTTalk withdrawl now that I can't post anything with pictures, lol!!!

(Actually, I know I can still post pictures by entering in the BBCode tags for it manually, but I'm feeling lazy and I'd like to just click, copy and paste the image URL into the box and have my photo appear.  I must be getting lazy in my old age...  and I'm only 32!  Imagine how lazy I'll be when I'm REALLY old, ugh!...)

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 03:08 PM

Okay, thanks!  Good to know.  I'll keep an eye out to see if things get squared away at all.  BTW, who is George anyways?  I'm assuming he is a site admin if not THE site admin?  Hope to see things working smoothly again soon.  I'm going through GTTalk withdrawl now that I can't post anything with pictures, lol!!!

(Actually, I know I can still post pictures by entering in the BBCode tags for it manually, but I'm feeling lazy and I'd like to just click, copy and paste the image URL into the box and have my photo appear.  I must be getting lazy in my old age...  and I'm only 32!  Imagine how lazy I'll be when I'm REALLY old, ugh!...)

Yes, George is the Owner & Site Admin.

Are you using photobucket?

If you upload the pics to your computer the site will automatically resize them for you so you dont have to use links to post photos....

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 03:09 PM

George is our founding father/admin/mod/site owner, and computer guru.  His forum name is NUTNDUN.  

• MailmAn said thank you

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 03:16 PM

Where do you find the 'Image' button? I always use the 'Choose Files' button below. Upload straight from my computer.

#7 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 03:34 PM

Are you using photobucket?

If you upload the pics to your computer the site will automatically resize them for you so you dont have to use links to post photos....

No.  I have my own website and FTP server that I upload all my photos to and then use the add image button in the forum editor to embed all my photos in my posts.  That way it doesn't bog down your servers so much since it just loads the photos from my server, which doesn't get as much traffic.  Plus, then I have the photos in a central location for editing them or for linking them in other forums, E-mails, Facebook, etc...  I know I can upload them to the forum with the "Choose Files" button, but I generally don't do that.  I also have to resize the photos before I upload them anyways since they are so large when they come off of my camera.  I have a 12.3 MP professional Digital SLR camera that takes hi-res photos at 4032 X 3024 pixels and each photo has a file size of roughly 5-8 MB.  By touching up and editing my photos in Photoshop and resizing them when I save them, I can get the file size down to only a few hundred KB instead.  If I just uploaded the raw photos off of my camera, yes the forum would "auto-resize" them by making them smaller to fit in the post, but it would still be loading the same 5-8 MB file to display it smaller on the forum website.  Plus, it would take a LOT longer for me to upload the photos than it does if I just take the time to resize them and resave them in Photoshop before I upload them.

#8 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 03:38 PM

Where do you find the 'Image' button? I always use the 'Choose Files' button below. Upload straight from my computer.

When you are typing a post on the site, if you look above the text box where you are typing there are some tool bars with icons on them for editing your posts.  The add image button is on the second row that starts with the buttons for Bold, Italics, and Underline.  It looks like a generic picture of a tree and it is the 11th button in from the left.  The add a link button is two down from it and is the 9th button in from the left.  Hope that helps.

• KennyP said thank you

#9 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 03:52 PM

I haven't tried it in Firefox yet to see if that makes any difference.

BTW, I just tried it in Firefox and the add Image button seems to work fine.  I just embeded this photo with it:

51M38Jeep03.jpg

(That's a 1950's Military Jeep I designed in a 3D modeling program if you were wondering...)

So, it only seems to be an issue with Internet Explorer, which for some reason I usually use to access these forums in.  I already have way too many tabs and windows open in Firefox usually and I separate out things into different areas and GTTalk was just one of those things I delegated to using IE to view so I can alt-tab over to it from Firefox to check on stuff...

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,320 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 04:19 PM

Try copying the Web address and using the add URL button in your thread's reply box?  Just a thought

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 05:55 PM

There have been a few other issues with IE users.  Last I heard George was still trying to run down the problem.  Sounds like you have quite a nice setup.

• MailmAn said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: community, forum, update, ip.board, change, broken, upload, image