• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:14 PM

During the warm weather, I would pressure wash the tractors about once a month to get all of the mud and dirt off. Today, while clearing snow off of the '75 I wiped the side of the hood with my finger and I noticed that the snow, sleet, and mix of rain has loosened up what I previously thought was stuff that would not come off. I thought all of that stuff would never come off! Maybe it will! So now I have one, VERY important question: has anybody tried to wash a tractor in the dead of winter?

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yes, last year, I pressure washed an MF12, and then put it out on the ice to sink it. :smilewink:

• daytime dave, MH81, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#3 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:37 PM

Yes, last year, I pressure washed an MF12, and then put it out on the ice to sink it. :smilewink:

LOL!!

Geno

#4 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:47 PM

Was that the red one that people on this site tried to guess when it would fall through the ice or am I thinking of another site?

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:52 PM

I haven't tried it, but I do use snow to "abrade" the soot off of the pots we use to make maple syrup.  Works better than oven cleaner.

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Was that the red one that people on this site tried to guess when it would fall through the ice or am I thinking of another site?

Yes, that's the one. And we're about to start it again.

http://gardentractor...st/#entry238640

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'm about a week and half out from pressure washing the Bolens G152 to get it ready for paint. I plan on soaking it with degreaser, leaving it run while I do it, and zipping it back into the heated garage as soon as I'm done.

Wiping snow off from metal always makes it look clean. Until it dries. Amazing how much crud is flying around when you blow snow.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Maybe someone should invent a Snow Blaster.  Like a Sand Blaster, only with snow...

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 10:57 PM

I'm about a week and half out from pressure washing the Bolens G152 to get it ready for paint. I plan on soaking it with degreaser, leaving it run while I do it, and zipping it back into the heated garage as soon as I'm done.

Wiping snow off from metal always makes it look clean. Until it dries. Amazing how much crud is flying around when you blow snow.

Cat is that wise ?  I was always told that a diesel pump was built with such close tolerances that they could sieze if you washed them when the engine was hot?

Would like to hear other opinions! I remeber working as a detailer in a Cadilac Garage and when the boss came in in his diesel caddy I refused to pressure wash it until it was cold.

He hired me after I put a new engine diesel in an Eldorado and he was impressed that a shade tree mechanic knew how to do it? It was the first diesel I had worked on, but it was basic nuts and bolts?

• MH81 and Cat385B have said thanks

#10 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 12:01 AM

Yes jd Daniels you are correct. Washing or splashing cold water on a hot injection pump can cause it to seize. The rotary pumps are far more susceptible to this than the inline pumps but still a good idea to avoid it. Just a side note ( I used to rebuild injection pumps and injectors) the tolerances are soo close ( called a class fit ) that if you take those two pieces apart, clean and dry all the fuel and oil off. Then touch the surface with clean dry hands and leave it over night the oils and acids from your skin will etch the parts with your finger prints and you will not be able to reassemble them. Long story short they are very tight tolerance. Ps hitting an injection pump while running can also cause it to seize!
  • JD DANNELS, IamSherwood and Cat385B have said thanks

#11 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 04:47 AM

During the warm weather, I would pressure wash the tractors about once a month to get all of the mud and dirt off. Today, while clearing snow off of the '75 I wiped the side of the hood with my finger and I noticed that the snow, sleet, and mix of rain has loosened up what I previously thought was stuff that would not come off. I thought all of that stuff would never come off! Maybe it will! So now I have one, VERY important question: has anybody tried to wash a tractor in the dead of winter?

Just once :smilewink:

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 09:52 AM

Yes jd Daniels you are correct. Washing or splashing cold water on a hot injection pump can cause it to seize. The rotary pumps are far more susceptible to this than the inline pumps but still a good idea to avoid it. Just a side note ( I used to rebuild injection pumps and injectors) the tolerances are soo close ( called a class fit ) that if you take those two pieces apart, clean and dry all the fuel and oil off. Then touch the surface with clean dry hands and leave it over night the oils and acids from your skin will etch the parts with your finger prints and you will not be able to reassemble them. Long story short they are very tight tolerance. Ps hitting an injection pump while running can also cause it to seize!

Thank You! It is good when someone who knows confirms what we supose. Together we may have just saved Cat a bunch of money and heartache.