Klopfenstein MF16

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 512
  • 1 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 05:49 PM

Hey Guys

I was out playing in the snow today with my MF16 and ran into a couple issues that I wanted to run past you.  The snow was pretty heavy yesterday but I have never had an issue with it before, until now..

From what I can tell (without fully dissassembling it yet) the teeth on the "jack shaft" have been rounded off and the drum freewheels (with minimal resistance).  It looks like this is a welded shaft with the sprocket on one end...has anyone else ever run into this?  I was hoping it was a shear pin or key or something....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 05:58 PM

You could probably cut off the existing sprocket and get a new one welded back on. If it's like the JD I have, the factory shaft and sprocket assembly is really expensive if it's still available. You could also get a piece of shafting and a sprocket and make up the entire assembly. I'm not sure on parts availability for the MF attachments. 

• Klopfenstein MF16 said thank you

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 08:01 AM

If it's item #1 your talking about, it looks like the pulley is keyed to the shaft.

mf16 520 blower jackshaft.JPG

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 10:31 AM

Will, I think the sprocket on the other end of the jackshaft may be worn out. The key could also be broken which would be a cheap fix provided nothing else is ruined. 

#5 thgilder OFFLINE  

thgilder

• Member No: 105
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 04:09 PM

Well this is weird but I ran into the same problem today. I removed the jackshaft assy and the sprocket at the end has been totally rounded off, no teeth left at all. I was hoping that anyone here might know where I could get another shaft. I have looked everywhere online today with no success.  The snow thrower is the MF 520

#6 Klopfenstein MF16 OFFLINE  

Klopfenstein MF16

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 512
  • 1 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Okay...I think I have a resolution.

"iamsherwood" yes its item #1

"thglider" did your sproket look like the pictures attached (sorry for the mispelling)?

I was pleasantly suprised to find that the entire jackshaft assy can be removed from the blower in about 10min.  I was expecting it to be much more of a project.  Anyway, as you can see in the pics, the sproket (or so it was..) is welded to the end of the solid 3/4 shaft.  As far as I can tell, this is, or was, a 13 tooth sproket #40 chain (if someone has another count please share).  I located a 1/2 bore 13t #40 from Amazon (shown in pic).  I plan to remove the old sproket from the original shaft by grinding the weld and tapping the sproket off the end.  Next, I will turn the end of the shaft down to accept the 1/2" bore sproket.  By turning this down, I hope to ensure that it will be true and centered when rewelded.  I am thinking this will take care of it for another 30 years or so..ha ha...what do ya guys think??Amozon Parts.jpg Shaft w welded sprocket.jpg Sprocket.jpg Welded End.jpg

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Your plan should work perfectly.  It would appear the OE sprocket was the "sandwiched" type sprocket, which don't hold up as well as a solid cast sprocket in most cases.  The replacement should last a long long time.  The biggest enemy of sprockets though is a worn out chain.  Be sure to get a new high quality chain, or the sprocket will suffer an early end.  An O-ring chain is the best, as they have small o-rings that hold the chain's internal lube in, and they last 4 times or more longer than std roller chain.   

• IamSherwood said thank you

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:24 PM

What a mess that "sprocket" is. Surprising it was still doing anything.

Well, at least you don't have to deal with a buggered up keyway.

Thanks for the info on the O ring chain Daniel. I had no idea.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:28 PM

Dang! that is some serious sprocket wear for sure!  Your idea will work perfect, but I would sure look at all of the sprockets on that chain drive, I would think you have little luck the rest are ok.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the info on the O ring chain Daniel. I had no idea.

O-ring chains is the only way to go with motorcycles/ATV's....except for driveshaft which is way better.  They make special lube for o-ring chains that goes on like penetrating fluid, really thin to get past the o-rings, then it thickens.  I bought my 1st can of it 35yrs ago and thought I got a bad can of chain lube.  Thinking it was bad anyway, I sprayed it all over the chain to at least do something.  A few minutes later my hands were sticky as glue!  THEN i read the can!  :hitting_self_roller:  For a snowblower in the wet environment, the o-ring chain is the way to go,.

• JDBrian said thank you

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:27 PM

I'm afraid to look at the chain and sprockets on the 49 thrower I bought. It may be in the same condition. 

#12 pianotuner OFFLINE  

pianotuner

• Member No: 7799
  • 55 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 09:33 AM

From the other site.

Here's the link you gave me. The large sprocket and clutch plates on Patton Acres have been on there ever since I saw them a year or more ago. It's not a great price, but also not terribly bad for NOS considering the sprocket size and rarity of finding them new.

Personally, I gave up on hunting for "Massey" parts. I found that same tiller was used for 3 or 4 different brands, including the JD 33 tiller. That's how I landed on an eBay ad for all the sprockets, hubs, clutch plates, etc. that I needed. Somebody tore apart their 33 and it's a direct fit to our tiller. I was pretty psyched to get all that!

If whoever is asking needs measurements or tooth counts, I can help out easy enough. I have the stuff still in the box on the shelf. What forum is that on? GTTalk? I'm on a few different ones but I only really use this one.

http://unclehenrys.com

http://pattonacres.c....s-c-18_45.html
user_online.gifreport.gif quote.gif

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,692 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Sprockets are not what I consider to be a 'rare' item. Narrowing down a search on Grainger's site to just #40 sprockets, with a standard round bore, gave me 56 results: (including a 1/2" bore, 13 tooth sprocket)

http://www.grainger....st=subset&xi=xi

#14 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Another good source for for sprocket and hub are the make your own from TSC or Fleet farm.  Many implement dealer also carry the make your own one.