#16 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 04:37 AM

I''ll take a Blizzard over an Ice storm any day. and in the last 72 hours we've had BOTH. Kenny your freezing rain is headed this way-hope it doesn't make it. I have shop power line down and 2 big limbs on the porch roof from Christmas. I don't need more.

Edited by Toolpartzman, December 28, 2012 - 04:46 AM.

#17 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 04:45 AM

I just turned on the porch light and looked out the door. We got maybe some frost out of it. Sorry to hear about the ice, Lee!

#18 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 05:18 AM

We had 2 big ice storms in 2 years here. I live about 1/2 halfway between Muskogee and Tulsa, the first one hit Muskogee and the second one hit Tulsa. Somehow we missed both of them. We had lots of snow but no ice.

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 05:41 AM

I would rather have a lot of snow than freezing rain.We always seem to loose our power when we get a lot of freezing rain.

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#20 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 07:44 AM

This is a 86-year event here, this AM still 113,000 without power.

......More Ice comin......:

#21 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'm glad you mentioned that, Kenny. Made me go look at the forecast for Bentonville...... looks like a good night to stay in by the wood stove, and work from the house tomorrow morning, if possible.

Paul, I've spent the last 2 nites in front of the shop wood stove and its OK for the first hour. Then when outside temps hit 19 degrees, funs over.

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 07:52 AM

Good luck, stay inside & keep us posted.

#23 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 07:58 AM

The freezing drizzle missed us here in KC. Hope it missed you as well Kenny.

#24 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 08:34 AM

Paul, I've spent the last 2 nites in front of the shop wood stove and its OK for the first hour. Then when outside temps hit 19 degrees, funs over.

Lee, glad you had something to keep you warm. When the big storm hit here a few years ago, I hooked up a small gas heater next to the kitchen stove. We were without power for more than a week. That stove saved our butts, cooked on it and all.

The freezing drizzle missed us here in KC. Hope it missed you as well Kenny.

It missed here, Terry. Just got a good frost!

#25 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 08:55 AM

If this mess ever ends, I'm going shopping

1 Generator

1 Toilet seat heater         Maybe Both

:rolling:

#26 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 09:09 AM

I picked up a 5000 watt genset a while back. Need to get it out and fire it up. It's not much, but it'll keep the fridge going and a few other things.

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 09:38 AM

30KW pto generator for the parlor, Dad & Josh both with 5500 watt generators, and I have a 5500, 4000, and my Weldanpower welder/generator, so we're set if things go down.

#28 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 09:41 AM

Black ice.....   nothing good about it, unless you're in an empty parikng lot and a teen.   

• boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#29 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 10:00 AM

Black ice.....   nothing good about it, unless you're in an empty parikng lot and a teen.   

Yes your right and Iowa is Famous for it(that's in the dictionary under Dubious Distinction). I left the house at 6:45 and got to work at 8:10(45 miles). I never slipped a wheel, but sat still for quite a while while they cleared up a couple roll overs.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 28, 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#30 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 10:27 AM

I picked up a 5000 watt genset a while back. Need to get it out and fire it up. It's not much, but it'll keep the fridge going and a few other things.

Will it power your well pump? That's usually the heaviest draw unless you have an electric hot water heater. Have a siphon hose that you can use to acquire more gas as needed.

I picked up an old Sears 7500watt generator several years ago for $250. The guy said it had problems but ran well. The engine(18hp 2cyl B&S) ran great. I bought it for the engine. Being overly curious I troubleshot and repaired the wiring and got it working correctly.

We lost power for more than a week during and after the Hurricane last year. My 4kw ran for one day and died(recoil seized and tore up the whole mechanism). The backup 4kw ran for several hours and just died(intake valve keeper slipped). I got out the 7500 and wired it into the house and it ran for 10 hours a day for 5.5 days. It used 1 gallon of gas per hour but I could run everything except the electric water heater. On the third day I experimented. I turned off every thing and then turned on the water heater, it worked okay. After 45 minutes the tank was hot. I switched off the water heater and put everything else back on. We all took showers. It was well worth it. I fixed the two 4kw generators this year. In my basement I have 13 generators, ranging from a 2kw that is an original attachment for my Chor Trak two wheeler to a 25kw powered by a 1948 Continental 6 cylinder. Like my tractors I got carried away with acquistions. I can't pass them up, especially when half of them were free because they didn't work, just like my tractors.

I believe in being prepared! Weather conditions seem to be getting more extreme and our modern society is very fragile. I remember an ice storm in DEC73 where even the state University was without power for finals week. A poor State Trooper was stuck in his car for 24 hrs because everything was extremely icy. These kinds of things can be mitigated by having a few of the right supplies such as a coffee can of sand in the car to add traction as needed.

I recommend everyone have a woodstove and a cord of wood in their basement. Heat rises so the entire house will be warmer. Add a generator that can handle your well pump and you can be semi comfortable. If it can handle your water heater you will be comfortable. Have two weeks of food in the house and several days worth in the car. Keep a sterno type stove and a small pot in the car with a box of instant oatmeal packets and you'll get by. Add candles, a pair of insulated coveralls, winter boots, an insulated coffee cup, cocoa mix and a windup radio and you can be comfortable. I have in the house and in the car alot of supplies incase of who-knows-what?

Kenny, I urge you to use Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas. I have found it to make a big difference some times. I also run the tank out of gas when done with the engine. The storm is supposed to hit us and the temp will drop tommorrow. Good Luck to us all.