• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,628 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 05:10 PM

Weather gurus are saying we may get freezing rain/drizzle tonight into tomorrow, I don't want ice!!!!!!!!

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Yea that sucks Kenny. I hope they are wrong! The weather seams to be crazy all over the place!

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 05:27 PM

Freezing rain is the worst. I hate to hear that hissing sound it makes as it comes down. We get it fairly often and it can turn the roads and sidewalks into a skating rink. If you have to drive in it be very careful and avoid it if you can. 

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 05:28 PM

Weather gurus are saying we may get freezing rain/drizzle tonight into tomorrow, I don't want ice!!!!!!!!

Well, ya missed the first round. Then ya poked fun at the rest of us. What were you expecting?

• Cvans, Amigatec and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 05:31 PM

Well, ya missed the first round. Then ya poked fun at the rest of us. What were you expecting?

:poke: LOL

#6 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 06:04 PM

Well-  You just have to join in the fun pal!

It was a red-letter day here in WNY!! We got about a foot of snow and it was HEAVY!! As I always do every year I pushed the snow back as far as I could to leave room for the rest of the year and of course made a mess of the yard!! Everything was going great in the GMC 2500HD until I got down to the end of the driveway.. Yup- I beached it!!crybaby.gif banghead3.gif

So the front end of the truck was resting on a pile of snow because I didn't have the plow down enough.. What was I to do?? Time for the JD 4310 to get going I thought!! So I got the thing going and warmed up then started moving snow out of the area around the truck.. My truck's rear wheels were both digging holes in the year from the repeated attempts to extricate it from it's snowy perch.. Once I got all of the snow I could grab with the bucket moved away from the truck I lifted the rear end via the trailer hitch and moved it about a foot..

That ALMOST worked but then it dug itself back in again..crybaby.gif Back on the tractor again.. I moved the truck another foot so it was on the road a bit and the 3rd time WAS the charm!! I climbed out of the ruts and got going again!! trink39.gif

I parked the truck a while and played on the tractor for a while pushing snow piles way back and around so we won't get huge snow drifts when the next storm hits.. About a half hour later I was done with our driveway. trink39.gif

Our new neighbors driveway was a mess and there were huge snow piles everywhere from the day's plowing so I took the JD over there to flatten things out for them. I was almost done and I guess I got down the hill a little too far as all four wheels were spinning...crybaby.gif banghead3.gif banghead3.gif banghead3.gif

I said what the hay and just blasted down the hill attempting to get back up to the road that way.. OOP's- no dice! Now I beached the tractor too! banghead3.gif

So I got the neighbor and hooked the tow strap up to the tractor.. He drove the truck along side on the road and I hooked it up.. I told him to GO and when the strap tightened the rear end of the truck came right sideways in the road and I think his eyeballs were as big as saucers!! Stop.gif sidelaugh.gif sidelaugh.gif

The tractor moved a bit but still no go.. As I had the strap hooked on the bucket I tilted it and lifted the boom and got enough movement to get the 'lil boy a moving again.. It then walked right out so I unhooked things & went back to work.

I saw some more snow coming as I sat inside after a fun-filled day sipping a hot cocoa as I promised I'd never drink anything stronger!  

The best advice I can give ya is this-  Move any vehicles parked under trees incase the sleet sticks and starts snapping branches like we had here back in 1991..  http://rochesterhome.../?nxd_id=237346

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, December 27, 2012 - 07:40 PM.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 06:05 PM

Yep, he gotchya there Kenny!   :bigrofl:

• Cat385B said thank you

#8 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 06:17 PM

I'm glad you mentioned that, Kenny. Made me go look at the forecast for Bentonville...... looks like a good night to stay in by the wood stove, and work from the house tomorrow morning, if possible.

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yup, that was a good one.  Left yourself open to that one.   :rolling:

• Cat385B said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,628 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:00 PM

Well, they quit scrolling it across the screen. It's normal for us to get ice storms. Yes, I did leave the door open for it, but as dry as it  is here, it will probably dissipate before it reaches the ground! Low is forecast for only 29*, not that cold.

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:21 PM

Man it is tough all over! They are predicting 1 1/2 inches of snow here tonight. So I will probably have another 1 1/2 hour commute in the morning. They were pulling cars out of the ditch in western Iowa this afternoon due to black ice.
I got Service Disruption notices from UPS, in Louisville Ky. yesterday. They have a distribution center in that area that services the entire S.E. Today it was Arkansas and Indiana. Tomorrow I expect to get notices forr the entire NE. And now Kenny tells me I can expect the same in Oklahoma? And my customers will be very understanding when they do not get their shipments with a long weekend coming up?(not a chance).
Yep Winter is soo much fun!

WNY Tractor Tinkerer, thanks for the laugh!!! Not laughing at you but with you cause i have been there so many times and you may very well have given me a preview of what my Saturday will be like?

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 27, 2012 - 07:28 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,347 Thanks
  • 39,628 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:38 PM

JD, the local channel isn't playing it up too big as yet. More of a light winter mix. But I still remember that 8" of "Partly Cloudy" we got.

#13 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:46 PM

I would have snapped some pix but I probably would have thrown the camera!!  I came close to beaching the truck again as it started sliding sideways down a steep hill!!  I caught that one and got it straightened out before things got too out of control..  All in all it was a trying and long day here @ the homestead....  Now the dog is sitting here whining because mom is in the shower like he always does.. What a baby! :hitting_self_roller:  :loosing_it:

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:52 PM

JD, the local channel isn't playing it up too big as yet. More of a light winter mix. But I still remember that 8" of "Partly Cloudy" we got.

Yeah Kenny I understand. I am guilty of giving the weather guys a bad time. But truth be told they can just give us their best guess on something they have no control over? They are saying our snow will be north of I80(I live 3 miles north of 80) but i doubt the storm clouds know they can not cross the highway?

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Now the dog is sitting here whining because mom is in the shower like he always does.. What a baby! :hitting_self_roller:  :loosing_it:

Teresa's little dog does the same thing!  Like she's been gone for days or something!

• Amigatec and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks