• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 moparharn OFFLINE  

moparharn

• Member No: 1973
  • 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 04:58 PM

After plowing out the neighborhood and some family, I have decided that the driveways I am doing are too small for the PK, and I need to be able to put snow in specific areas when clearing tight courtyards and such.  The PK worked great, especially the backblade, but I was on pins and needles with my stiff neck worrying about backing into tight places.  If it does not sell that would be fine with me as I love this tractor, it is just not the right unit for what I want to do. Actually, for where I want to do it. If it had a dual trans I would just buy a blower, even still a smaller tractor would be nice. It is going to be hard to find a smaller tractor that has PK quality, but I will start looking.  Bill

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 05:24 PM

When I read this thread's title, I was very worried! I am relived that it was not a bad experience with the tractor, but still unfortunate. I am sorry to hear that it does not suit your needs. Good luck finding a smaller tractor of the same quality... you will need it! :D

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 05:34 PM

Sorry to hear you have to part with a nice tractor like that. I'm not sure what your budget is but for a business moving snow a Kubota BX1800 or the older versions which I think were BX1500 are hard to beat for a small tractor. With power steering,4wd and diesel they are strong and well suited to commercial work in tight quarters. 

#4 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 05:47 PM

Get a Jim dandy like mine. All it is is a smaller pk and you can put a duel tranny in it too

#5 moparharn OFFLINE  

moparharn

• 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 06:00 PM

I live in the eastern suburbs of Detroit.  The Kubota idea is a good one.  A Jim Dandy would be nice , but it does not give me the hydraulics and back blade capability that my PK does. The cops pulled me over today for driving in the street with chains on. I was legal except for the chains. I need to check the law on this. I know one thing, no 2wd drive tractor plows worth a dang  without chains.  Bill

#6 bigcountry48 OFFLINE  

bigcountry48
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10316
  • 101 Thanks
  • 207 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 06:24 PM

If your looking for something really small, get an allis chalmers b series with a snow plow or thrower. Allises are my favorite, and would make a great small snow tractor for cheap!

#7 moparharn OFFLINE  

moparharn

• 4 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:13 PM

I had a gorgeous B10 (show quality, with a three belt blower. What a PITA with the three belts. It kept stalling and burning the belts. If it did not burn them it threw them off. Drove me crazy. I ended up putting a newer single belt simplicity blower on and it worked pretty good. I really want a turn key, low maintenance, go and use it blower/tractor. My back is too sore to kept wrenching on these older tractors. I guess until my next back surgery (if it is successful), I need to keep it simple and effective. The Simplicity/Allis is a good tractor, but a shaft drive 16-20hp plus tractor is what I am thinking about (or diesel).  Bill

Edited by moparharn, December 27, 2012 - 07:15 PM.