Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Ford Tractor With Pinto Engine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,155 Thanks
  • 1,156 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 06:44 AM

http://greensboro.cr...3445405191.html3Kc3Ib3Fb5Lf5F65Hecbu2e63e43f11091e96.jp

This Tractor has a Pointo Engine, Factory. suppose to have been only 240 of them ever made. Runs great and inside of engine looks new. The engine is also perfect for someone who needs ans engine for a Pinto car. Im asking $500 for just the engine or $700 for the whole tractor.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:17 AM

That would be cool to have. I can't say it's factory, why would they use a Bolens rear end in it? The frame may be Bolens, not familiar enough with that brand to know. Not a bad price for a neat 'toy'.

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:39 AM

That would be a fun ride. But??? special Ford??? Hmmm.

#4 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:50 AM

That would be a fun ride. But??? special Ford??? Hmmm.

Yeah, Hmmmmm.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:52 AM

It's not a Ford but a modified Bolens with a Ford engine. I still don't believe it could have been a factory Bolens setup. Surely someone on here would have one given the number of Bolens collectors we have. Why would any factory put a 50+hp engine in a GT

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:00 AM

It's not a Ford but a modified Bolens with a Ford engine. I still don't believe it could have been a factory Bolens setup. Surely someone on here would have one given the number of Bolens collectors we have. Why would any factory put a 50+hp engine in a GT

I do have to say it is set up well. Yeah, a bit over powered. But it would pull good until you broke the rear end.

#7 IamSherwood ONLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:07 AM

It makes no sense, that the guy tries to sell it, using that BS story. Why not just

tell the truth, and say it's a hoot to drive.

Or, maybe he fell for the story, and now he's just regurgitating it.

#8 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:44 AM

I wonder what the back of the engine to driveshaft looks like ? Pretty neat , Al

#9 tinbender7 ONLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:52 AM

That would be cool to have. I can't say it's factory, why would they use a Bolens rear end in it? The frame may be Bolens, not familiar enough with that brand to know. Not a bad price for a neat 'toy'.
I was told by the guy that put the flathead V8 in the Ford LGT 165 that the Ford rear end tutns the wrong way for a car engine and the Bolens turns the right way. I would still like the have it, it is probably as powerful as the V8 that I saw. Would be aFun to drive.

Edited by tinbender7, December 27, 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#10 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 09:04 AM

Definitely an early Bolens Large Frame with a transplanted engine.  Doesn't look to be a bad job, but not "factory".

If you look closely, you will see that there is no provision for driving the PTO which is located in the front axle of the large frames. That would make it useless for mowing, tilling, and anything else that needs the PTO.  Even a front blade or snowcaster would be out of the question, as what looks like a battery box hanging down in front to the front axle prevents mounting of them.

I guess you could put a sleeve or 3-pt hitch on it for plowing,discing, etc, as all it's good for is pull type implements or maybe tractor pulls.

Depending on the engine, it may not be 'way' over powered.  The early 1.6L was rated at 54 Hp.  I've heard it said that the Bolens drive train was tested at up to 45 Hp.  If that is true, then 54 Hp, would be a bit more, but not all that much more.

wiberj would be the person that could narrow down which Large Frame that it started life as.

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 09:14 AM

Factory........... hardly!  How stupid can the guy be with"Bolens" clearly on the diff?  

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 09:56 AM

Factory........... hardly!  How stupid can the guy be with"Bolens" clearly on the diff?  

The difference between genius and stupidity is that only genius has limits!

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,584 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 10:03 AM

When I worked in the salvage yard we moved a BUNCH of Ford 4 cylinder engines from Pinto's, Rangers, Mustangs, and Fairmonts.  That was our best selling engine.  Can't say as I have ever been around or even seen an early model with a 1.6L but I know the 2.0 and 2.3 were overhead cam engines with an external drive camshaft  cog belt. 

That may be a Ford engine but I don't think its a car engine.  Might be a Ford industrial engine.   Dad has a skid steer with a Ford industrial gasoline engine that looks similar. 

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 11:35 AM

Just a thought, all the industrial Ford engines I've ever seen had updraft carbs and a different style exhaust manifold.

#15 JD DANNELS ONLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 11:38 AM

Depending on how the motor is set up and tuned it may not be greatly over powered. As Kris said above, The Ford Industrial with Gouvenor cut that engine down to between 30 & 40 hp. Used in Skidloaders, Sweepers and many industrial applications it was a very reliable engine.That engine was used in English Fords for 20 yrs before they were ever seen stateside. There was even a Formula Ford Racing series based on that engine.

I find it hard to believe it is FORD Factory application unless it was an Experimental model set up before they went to Shibara for their compacts. When I worked at Farmhand a lot of oddities got out of the Experimental engineering shop. Those guys were not above using another makers parts(gear boxes etc) if they knew they could get one just like it from a manufacturer With the companies logo on it if they went into production. I know the first Harvesters we built were Detroit powered and used GM Transmittions.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 27, 2012 - 11:45 AM.