• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Does anyone use or have they used a Dyna Glo kerosene heater-23,000 btu. I am looking at a used one, just wondering that are worth the money.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, January 02, 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#32 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 07:53 PM

. I could market blankets the same way.

"put on one of these and drop the setting 10 degrees. It will pay for itself in the first 2 days"

Haven't they done that with the "Snugglies"?

• JRJ said thank you

#33 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 02, 2013 - 08:22 PM

Haven't they done that with the "Snugglies"?

Yep,

"Just send 19.95 and if you act now we will double your order. Thats right you get 2 $5 robes to put on backwards because they work better that way"

• JRJ said thank you

#34 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 08:22 PM

Kenny, with the radiant heat that bad boy puts out you just have to point it in your direction and it will warm you directly rather than the air. It should work well in the tractor port. 30kbtus is equivalent to about 9kw of electric heat. 

• KennyP and JRJ have said thanks

#35 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 08:39 PM

A couple of years ago, my brother couldn't afford to get his HVAC system replaced over the winter.  He used a kerosene heater all winter long to keep the house warm.  It did produce a lot of moisture.  I don't recall him having problems with CO, but I think he did install a CO detector.  I would not have been happy living that way, but he and his family survived.  This was a NC winter, so it probably only ran overnight, not 24/7.

• tractorman604 and JRJ have said thanks

#36 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,953 Thanks
  • 3,326 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Kenny, it should be cold enough to get a report soon on the radiant heater. It's 32 outside now, supposed to be in the mid 20's later tonight, snow fluries in the morning (go figure in Texas) and I am sitting at 67 in the shop on medium.

Good luck with your heater.

• KennyP and JRJ have said thanks

#37 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 08:57 PM

The best thing I did to help heat my shop was to put a ceiling up. My shop is 12X20 with an A frame roof and no insulation. When I had a heater in there and going all the heat went upto the roof (12 ft at the peak) so none of the heat was where i needed it. Fall of 2010 a bought enough 1/4 OSB to put in a ceiling. Once that was up, I fired up the propane heater. Its one of the 30KBtu tank tops. Within 30 minutes I was starting to shed my jackets. Later on that fall I insulated the ceiling with roll insulation. The walls are stillnot insulated but the heater will run on high until its warm and then I can put it on low to keep the temp stable and comfortable. The wind still blows through some of the cracks but I can definatley work in the shop when there is snow on the ground.

I think the total cost of the OSB was under $40 and one buddy to help me hold it while I screwed it in place.

Edited by coldone, January 02, 2013 - 08:59 PM.

• tractorman604, boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#38 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 09:39 PM

I've used forced air kerosene heaters in my shop for quite some time now. Even as a kid we used them. The one I use now will heat my shop to 60's in about 15 minutes. It plugs to a thermostat which then plugs to the wall. That way I can set it and forget about it while working. Just have to keep the front clear. I've learned that if you start to smell the burnt kerosene then you need to check and clean or replace your air filter. Lack of air intake is the #1 cause for a stinky kerosene heater. Eric Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

#39 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 09:51 PM

The best thing I did to help heat my shop was to put a ceiling up.

The best thing I did was put up a ceiling fan. Bring something in to thaw out now and it takes less than half the time when the fan is on high. On medium it works great to keep the heat down where it is needed. In the summer it creates a nice breeze. The one in the back shop my Son found in a pile of junk on clean up days. 

#40 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 03, 2013 - 07:33 AM

Does anyone use or have they used a Dyna Glo kerosene heater-23,000 btu. I am looking at a used one, just wondering that are worth the money.

Dick

That's the one I have and I'm happy with it. I'd recommend getting a spare wick.

#41 Watchdog ONLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Since we have wandered away from kerosene a few times, I thought I'd share what I use and am accumulating the parts to build.

My shop is pretty small (14 x 22 inside) it is insulated, but not well and the damn squirrels have wreaked havoc with my attic insulation.  I use a smal oil filled electric unit set on medium with a block heater timer on it.  It comes on at night when hydro is cheap and keeps my shop at about 52 degrees, which keeps everything from frosting up.  When I plan to go out, I set it on high the night before and I can work in shirt sleeves.

If it is something unplanned and I can't wait for the electric heater, I have a 30, 000 btu propane heater.  It'll warm the shop 15 degrees in 15 minutes, but it stinks! So once everything is nice and hot you need to roll up the door for a few minutes so you can tolerate the smell.  It'll cool off a few degrees, but it is still plenty warm to work.

My plan is to build a boiler heater.  A pig farmer I know uses one to heat a tractor shed 20 x 40 with 20 foot ceilings.  He uses a piece of well pipe as the chimney, which passes through a 40 lb propane cylinder full of glycol.  The chimney heats the glycol, which is then pumped into the radiator from a Honda Civic.  There is a thermostatically controlled fan behind the radiator to push the heat out.  The woodstove sits outside so there is no open flame in the tractor shed, and he burns all kinds of crappy wood that he gets for free.  It takes abot 1/2 an hour to get the heat pumping, but it'll warm that tractor shed up in less than 20 minutes.  As well he has a bottle of waste oil fed into the woodstove, which works off a ball valve.  When he wants to build heat faster he opens the valve dumping the oil onto the fire. It's pretty impressive to see.

So far, I have a decent woodstove, the propane tank and an old cast iron radiator heater from an old house.  Just saving my pennies for a pump.  They are a little pricey. I should be able to get the well pipe or something close from the scrap yard.

Jeff

• tractorman604, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#42 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:45 AM

This is what I like to read, a man with a plan to work in comfort. Good luck with your project.

Dick

• Watchdog said thank you