41 replies to this topic

#16 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Coldone said, " Nobody around here sells clear K1 anymore. Walmart, lowes, home depot sells the 2gal jugs of "heating" kerosene for $20 for 2gallons. My new heater is now setting out back useless because I cant pay $10gal to run it. I use propane now."

That's cheaper than the pre-mixed 2 cycle fuel they sell for line trimmers at these places.  I paid $4.50 for about a quart but my line trimmers set more than being used and they still ran each time I used them this summer.  They are usually all varnished up.  This fuel seemed to be coleman type gas with synthetic 2 cycle oil and stabilizer.  Coleman fuel is about $16 per gallon now too.

I have been wondering what to use for heat because my building is only about 8X16 with a 8X5 addition on the side.  I am afraid of gas in the tractor and tillers and cans setting there.  I think I could use any small electric heater or 2.  If I had an eden-pure, I would have that in the house.

Edited by robert_p43, December 27, 2012 - 10:06 AM.

• tractorman604 and JRJ have said thanks

#17 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 27, 2012 - 10:36 AM

There isnt any "magic" in the electric heat boxes. Its 1500 watts of electric heat from heat lamps and a copper plate. The copper plate does not make it more efficient, it will release some heat after the t stat shuts off the lamps. That may sound like free heat but it will steal more heat when the lamps are turned back on. An oil filled electric radiator type heater will do the same thing at 1/4 the price.

The scam on the eden pure is that you run it in a small room and turn down the t stat for the rest of the house, thus saving you money on your heating bill. I could market blankets the same way.

"put on one of these and drop the setting 10 degrees. It will pay for itself in the first 2 days"

Edited by rat88, December 27, 2012 - 10:37 AM.

• olcowhand, tractorman604, JDBrian and 2 others have said thanks

#18 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 11:58 AM

I could market blankets the same way.

Or long johns and wool socks!

• JRJ said thank you

#19 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 03:23 PM

There are only so many BTU's in a kilowatt of electricity. The Eden Pure is sold on the same principal as a board stretcher. My Son found out the hard way about the Eden Pure BS.  

#20 JDBrian ONLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 04:25 PM

An oil filled electric heater, as mentioned above, would be a good choice. Those heaters uses a large surface area at a lower temperature to radiate heat. This would be safer if you have gas fumes around. You still have the potential for a spark from the thermostat however. In some large shops and warehouse outlets like Costco I have seen radiant heaters mounted on the ceiling with reflectors to send the heat downwards. 

#21 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Think we own 5 of those oil filled heaters. They are great around kids as they won't burn anybody. I bought them years ago when Menards was clearing them out and now when anyone we know needs heat for some reason they just come over and get them. Our living room is farthest from the furnace and has two large picture windows. We have one of the oil heaters in there set at 2 and medium and it does a great job as does the one on the front shop. One of those things that out performs expectations and they seem to last forever. . :thumbs:

Edited by Cvans, December 27, 2012 - 06:50 PM.

• tractorman604, sacsr and JRJ have said thanks

#22 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:56 PM

The quartz radiant heaters "feel" warmer and work better at close range but they are a higher fire hazard. They work better in a drafty shop but squirting fuel can be dangerous and antifreeze will kill them like a drop light. Elements for these are about as high as a new heater.

#23 Michiganmobileman ONLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:24 AM

A word of warning on the kerosene heaters and any other fuel burning heat source that does not have a vent (chimney).  Besides the risk associated with Carbon Monoxide, these also produce huge amounts of moisture while burning "because for every gallon of kerosene burned in an unvented kerosene heater, 1.1 gallons of water is produced."  About the same amount for a gallon of LP gas, about half as much from a cubic meter of Natural gas.  

This makes for a more comfortable humidity level for us people but the extra moisture is not nice to our tractors, tools, etc.

For these two reasons unvented heaters are best used in your airy, drafty shop buildings.  When these are used in an enclosed tight space such as an insulated garage or shop, I strongly suggest that you open a window or a door slightly to allow fresh air in and some of the moisture out.  

Be comfortable but be safe guys!  

And while I am on the pulpit here,

IF YOU HAVE ANY FUEL BURNING APPLIANCES  IN YOUR HOME AND YOU DONT HAVE A CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE BUY ONE AS A LATE CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO YOURSELF AND YOUR LOVED ONES AND GET IT INSTALLED NOW!!

Sorry for yelling, but here have already been several deaths here in Michigan this season from CO poisoning.  In my mind a CO detector can be as much of a lifesaver as a smoke alarm (you got at least one of those too dont you???).  They are not real expensive, and a human life (or even a pets life) is worth much much more.  

My two cents, sorry to stray off topic.

• olcowhand, tractorman604, HowardsMF155 and 5 others have said thanks

#24 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 11:06 AM

For my 1st winter of use, I didn't have my hanging propane furnace vented in my shop.  Thinking it was airy enough, I wanted to squeeze every pinch of heat from the unit.  Seems my shop was tighter than I thought, and started feeling sick every time I was out there for more than just a few minutes.  I promptly put a vent through the roof and all is safe now.  

So as Greg said, DO NOT take chances and vent well!

• tractorman604, Cvans, Michiganmobileman and 3 others have said thanks

#25 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 06:21 PM

I have a 30 X 40 post frame (pole-barn) building. I only have 1/2" foil covered styrofoam insulation.

I got a used high efficent gas furnace from a HVAC fellow (for free). The air for the combustion is pulled in from outside.

#26 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 10:14 PM

For my drafty tin 12 X 24 shop I have a small propane heater. I tarp 1/2 of the shop off, and placed a small fan on top of the heater. Keeps it a nice 68 deg inside with low 40's outside. I normally leave it on the medium setting as the Hi setting will burn a $12.50 tank in 8 hours.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1070582.JPG
  • P1070584.JPG
  • P1070585.JPG

#27 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 06:29 PM

I went to HF today with my 25% off coupon to see what I could find. Found this:

image_6319.jpg

It was on sale for $70~.($119 online) With the coupon, around $52. Been wanting one of these for a while. 32,000 BTU. Should help out under the tractor port. I have 2 tanks this will work on!

• tractorman604 said thank you

#28 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Looks good, that is a few more BTU than mine (20k). I did a search for the MASTER series, I guess they don't make my stiyle any more. This is the closest I could fine to mine.

Mr.Heater/HeatStar20K BTU Propane Vent Free Radiant Heater

31lra3W3F-L.jpg

This is a propane fueled, vent free, radiant heater that produces 20,000 BTU’s of efficient, comfortable heat. This safe, clean-burning heater has a low-high heat control, low oxygen shut off sensor and burns 99.9% efficient. This unit does not require electricity and is easily installed as a wall mount unit or as a free standing unit with the included feet kit.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1070605.JPG

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 07:02 PM

This has low, med., and hi settings. Use in a well ventilated space! With 2 sides open open the tractor port, I think that qualifies it.

• tractorman604 said thank you

#30 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 07:26 PM

That should work well Kenny, not sure how well with an open walled shop. Mine has the 3 settings also, and I think an O2 sensor. I can watch the tarp move that divides my shop so I know there is ventalation in here. We had a big discussion a couple years ago on the propane shop heaters. The only thing to really watch for is if you do tank exchanges and get one that the valve leaks. I had that happen, and bought 2 new tanks and have them filled now.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1070607.JPG

• tractorman604 and KennyP have said thanks