41 replies to this topic

#1 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Just wondering if anyone heats there shop with those old kerosene heaters. If so do they work very well, and can you use them in a garage with the doors down.If you heat your shop throw some pictures up......Always looking for ideas Thanks :beerchug:

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 06:53 PM

Had fire once with one of those. Just the furnace burnt up and garage a little sooty, but saved. I have a Modine type gas heater hanging up on ceiling now. Much nicer! Clean, out of the way and powerful, works fast. Need a chimney, but just a gas one, not a cement one like the Kerosene is better with.

• tractorman604 said thank you

#3 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 07:20 PM

I use a waste oil heater. Class A chimney is required. Some maintenance but the fuel is usually free for the hauling so I don't feel guilty about heating a drafty uninsulated building .

• tractorman604 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#4 BushBoneYard OFFLINE  

BushBoneYard

• Member No: 6163
  • 36 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 07:54 PM

I got one as a gift last year, I use it only when I'm out of wood for the stove. It does a decent job of heating but there is a slight odor to deal with even with a correct clean flame height. It doesn't bother me downstairs as much as the wife upstairs.

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 08:15 PM

The front shop where I use mine is very tight so I have to leave the door cracked when using it or my eyes start burning. I normally heat it with electric to 50 degs. and if I need it warmer I light the kerosene heater. I kind of like it though as it reminds me of the one I heated my apartment with in Japan. 

Edited by Cvans, December 26, 2012 - 09:15 PM.

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 08:43 PM

I used one at the old house but I use Electric now.  The shop is pretty small so it doesn't take much to heat it up.

#7 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 10:41 PM

Had fire once with one of those. Just the furnace burnt up and garage a little sooty, but saved. I have a Modine type gas heater hanging up on ceiling now. Much nicer! Clean, out of the way and powerful, works fast. Need a chimney, but just a gas one, not a cement one like the Kerosene is better with.

A friend gave me a Modine and it works great. I did some rewiring w/ a switch so the fan runs continuous and the flame only is controlled by the thermostat or I can switch it back so the fan shuts off after cooldown. My theory is it uses less gas w/ the fan running continuous especially when first starting up in a cold shop as the fan turns off and on while the flame keeps burning.

Mike

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 10:59 PM

We use a couple to heat the garage up at the farm. They work well and the odor isn't bad once they heat up.

My little 8x12, I use electric. May have to rethink that with the expected increases over the next couple years.

#9 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 11:19 PM

I use a propane patio heater in my shop. It's 20x30 and quite drafty but I still mounted a C.O. Monitor to be safe. It works really well for me because I rent the house I live in so i can't install a stove, and it gets the heat up away from the kids where they can't accidentally get burned or let their curiosity get the best of them and mess with it. Lol. The adjustable heat shield is really nice for directing the heat too.

#10 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 06:51 AM

I remember during the late 70s or early 80s my my and dad used one in their house along with a lot of others at the time , I don't recall but I don't think the smell was too much a issue . Around here I don't even know anyone that uses them any more maybe because the high cost of kerosene , Al

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:17 AM

As Al said you might want to research the cost of energy for kerosene in your area vs. other alternatives. Sometimes electricity is actually the cheaper way to go. 1kwh is 3413 btu's  1 gallon of Kerosene is 135000 btu's assuming 100% efficiency. So to make the same heat as 1 gallon of Kerosene you would need 135000/3413=39.55kwh. at 10 cents/kwh that's 3.96$.  I have safety reservations about using any open flame heat in a shop that will have gasoline in it. 

• tractorman604 and Alc have said thanks

#12 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:43 AM

I don't care for the kerosene heaters, I think they banned the sale of them in Mass here some time ago, if your shop isn't too big I'd try one of those Eden Pure type electric heaters, my dad had one at their house, it worked pretty well....

#13 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:45 AM

My shop is 25' x 25' and pretty well insulated now. I heat with kerosene and have never had an issue. The tank holds 1.8 gallons and will last between 8 and 10 hours on high. There is a slight odor once in a while but it usually means the wick needs to be cleaned or the temp setting is too high or low. I do allow for a bit of ventilation if I'm working with gas or anything else that creates any fumes.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20121205_182104.jpg
  • IMG_20121226_192629.jpg

• tractorman604 and JRJ have said thanks

#14 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:49 AM

We used one to heat the house when I was younger (80s) and then I had one at another house That worked well (90s). So when I wanted something to heat my shop, I picked one up (2010). It would burn one tank full great, then on the second tank it would start putting out less heat and more odor. Eventually it would not put out any heat and just smoke, only a very small flame would be visable. Maybe a flame about 1/4 inch tall. I changed wicks thinking i had picked up some contaminated K1. Same results with K1 from a different vendor. I went through the wick cleaning procedure and tried again with K1 from a second different vendor. I finally called the manufacturer of the heater and I was told that you cant use dyed K1 at all. The K1 has to be clear. Nobody around here sells clear K1 anymore. Walmart, lowes, home depot sells the 2gal jugs of "heating" kerosene for $20 for 2gallons. My new heater is now setting out back useless because I cant pay $10gal to run it. I use propane now.

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 09:06 AM

Up here Propane is the most expensive fuel and most people don't use it for central heating but for cooking and supplemental heat. Natural gas is cheapest right now but there is very little distribution in this area due to low demand. As far as saving money goes it's usually more cost effective to insulate and draft proof so you use less of whatever heat source you choose. 

• tractorman604, HowardsMF155 and boyscout862 have said thanks