#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Got my Plastic King out for some little plowing in drifts. NE Idiana got a small dumping,  yet blew hard and lots of drifts.  Tractor has wide ags, no chains and didnt spin till I was on some older ice from couple days ago snow that melted into ice coating. Grabbed OK in snow and lawn, sidewalk area I did. Was hard starting, had to charge batt and use Start fluid to make it go. While plowing and under load it gave some funny spits out exhaust. Seemed better as it warmed up. This is one of those KT17 twins which are known to be bad. Mine's still holding up tho!  I just did little on sidewalk and drive where flat, didn't go downhill on my drive. Was cold and Windy and about froze. Good enough for now. Some pix below. Couple are fuzzy, hard to take pix when shivering and holding the phone whild driving tractor, ha! :smilewink: 

Attached Thumbnails

• First Snow plowing 2012 007.jpg
  • First Snow plowing 2012 008.jpg
  • First Snow plowing 2012 011.jpg
  • First Snow plowing 2012 004.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and Arti have said thanks

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 09:10 PM

I had my first snow outing on the PK too.  My day was more frustrating than anything.  Oh, the PK pushed snow like a champ but it's in the habit of shutting down after its working for a while.  It floods out is what it does.  I had this carb rebuilt so I'm thinking the only thing it can be is dirt getting into the carb.  It starts right back up most times so I know its not the coil.  I never run filters on my tractors but I guess I will have to get one on this one and see if that fixes the problem.  I supposed there's an outside chance it could be electrical but I'm thinking fuel.

Looks like yours is doing a fine job.  Wait till the real snows come!  I think we only got around 6" here but what makes it bad is the ice that came with it.  It's heavy stuff here.

#3 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 09:23 PM

It's very possible that your developing ice in your Carburetor. When you shut the engine down it warms up and will restart. On my simplicity I ran a duct (flexible exhaust pipe) from the muffler shield to the air filter and that ended the problem for me. 

Your Power King is a very nice looking tractor.

• Alc and David Brown have said thanks

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 09:27 PM

It's very possible that your developing ice in your Carburetor. When you shut the engine down it warms up and will restart. On my simplicity I ran a duct (flexible exhaust pipe) from the muffler shield to the air filter and that ended the problem for me. 

Your Power King is a very nice looking tractor.

I would go for that explanation except for the fact that it started doing this in the summer.  No ice then.

If you are complimenting the PK in the pictures in this thread, that's GL's tractor, not mine.

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Looks good GL! Thanks for the pictures!

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 09:44 PM

I would go for that explanation except for the fact that it started doing this in the summer.  No ice then.

If you are complimenting the PK in the pictures in this thread, that's GL's tractor, not mine.

I guess this being winter I hadn't thought of summer. When I was working for Texaco we were told that any time the outside temperature falls bellow 70 degs. ice can form in the carburetor.

Sorry was Complimenting glgrumpy on his tractor. 

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 10:10 PM

I guess this being winter I hadn't thought of summer. When I was working for Texaco we were told that any time the outside temperature falls bellow 70 degs. ice can form in the carburetor.

Sorry was Complimenting glgrumpy on his tractor. 

Ok, I guess I hijacked the thread.  Sorry GL!  Didn't mean to!

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 06:42 AM

I had my first snow outing on the PK too.  My day was more frustrating than anything.  Oh, the PK pushed snow like a champ but it's in the habit of shutting down after its working for a while.  It floods out is what it does.  I had this carb rebuilt so I'm thinking the only thing it can be is dirt getting into the carb.  It starts right back up most times so I know its not the coil.  I never run filters on my tractors but I guess I will have to get one on this one and see if that fixes the problem.  I supposed there's an outside chance it could be electrical but I'm thinking fuel.

Looks like yours is doing a fine job.  Wait till the real snows come!  I think we only got around 6" here but what makes it bad is the ice that came with it.  It's heavy stuff here.

You might check the float level too. It may be border line on being too high. Might be a little rich also. A fuel filter is always good to have. I drained the tank on the FF and got a bunch of junk out of it. The little screen was collapsed and half full of crud. I removed it completely and installed an inline filter.

• David Brown said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:55 AM

David, my thinking on the float level is it may 'slosh' a bit when you hit a bump and suck extra fuel in, causing it to flood and stall. By the time you start it back up, the extra has burned up. If it's running a bit rich to start with, that compounds the issue.

• David Brown said thank you

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:08 AM

David, my thinking on the float level is it may 'slosh' a bit when you hit a bump and suck extra fuel in, causing it to flood and stall. By the time you start it back up, the extra has burned up. If it's running a bit rich to start with, that compounds the issue.

Well, maybe.  The weird thing is, there's no rhyme or reason to what its doing.  I have to be on this thing working it for a good while (an hour or so) before it starts to give me problems.  I'm bumping and running into snow banks and everything the whole time before.  This is why I'm thinking dirt.  It takes a while for the dirt to float around and make its way to the fuel line.  It really doesn't run rich.  In fact, the tractor has never run better since I've owned it.  The carb rebuild did wonders for it although whenever this happened in the summer I had to tow the tractor back to the shop, take the bowl off the carb and dump it out before it would start again.

I really need to start my own thread for this.  I feel bad for GL.  I'll install a filter and see how it works.  If I still have the same problem, I'll start a new thread.  Thanks.

Edited by David Brown, December 27, 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,356 Thanks
  • 39,637 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:11 AM

GL, sorry for the hijack! I enjoyed the pics. Stay warm and have some good seat time!

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:50 AM

Looks like your plowing a nice amount of snow without chains , are your tires loaded ? Do those wider ag tires work better then narower ones in the snow ? Al

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:58 AM

Not sure if this would be the cause but I had a 1985 Ford pickup and every once in awhile if the humidity was high and cold out the carb would ice up , just enough to block some of the little vents/bleed ports in the opening and it would start running like crap . You would would pull over ,open the air cleaner and see little ice arond the throttle bore , after I saw that the first time I wasn't as worried when it happened ( didn't shut off like yours though ) , Al

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 04:08 PM

Alc,this is all that I have used the tractor for, so not a good testament yet!  They did seem to grab fine and not spin, cept on that one icy spot I mentioned. First run down sidewalk went fine, and did back over my "bank" that plow made when backing out and didn't spin then either.  I've had 24"ags on meta kings and they spin right away. So, maybe being smaller and wider is gonna be better. I'll let you know in bigger storm session.

• Alc said thank you

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:52 PM

I have heard that when choosing tires you want to "float on my, dig through snow" Basically, skinny tires for snow and wide for mud. I can tell you that wide tires are better for mud, but I can't say if skinny tires are better then wide for snow use.