• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 02:49 PM

I am getting back to the 317 restore and one of the first parts to go back in the frame will be the hydraulic valve. I got it out and cleaned it up and it looks in extremely good shape for a 33 year old valve. I'm wondering if the spools have been rebuilt as there are absolutely no wear marks at all on the actuator shafts where they come out of the valve body and attach to the linkage. Even when you pull the spool shafts out and look at the full travel of the shaft it looks new. This tractor has a lot of hours on it and it just doesn't seem right that these parts would look so new. This tractor is hard to figure out. It was obviously in some sort of accident that involved a roll over and I have had to replace just about all of the steering from spindle to steering wheel but it also had a lot of new parts like the entire PTO clutch and battery, ignition switch, stator and voltage regulator. The drive shaft was also newish. It appears that a lot of work was done to keep this going over the years. 

DSCF8327.jpg   DSCF8336.jpg

#2 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,707 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 06:45 PM

That's good!  :thumbs:  Just means that there was never any dirt or grit on the ends and that the linkages were in proper alignment. Most valves I've had apart look like new, unless the the linkages were misaligned or worn and put side pressure against the spool causing wear. I trust that you cleaned and lubed them up with plenty of new fluid when you pressed the spools back into place? Sucks to put all back together only to find that you cut an o-ring creating a leak.

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 09:35 PM

I would resist the urge to take it apart. There are no O-rings inside and the only thing that makes these valves hold is their extremely tight tolerances. One little scratch and they will start to leak by and settle. I was going to rebuild one and the technician at the local shop said there is nothing to replace in side the valve. Just keep it and your oil clean and it should last a long time.