caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 01, 2010 - 08:28 PM

I had the opportunity to tear into the stuck engine on the C-105 today. As you'll see in the pics below, I found...a mess.

DSCN1676.jpg

DSCN1675.jpg

DSCN1677.jpg

As if the smell of mouse pee wasn't a dead giveaway, I discovered three desiccated mouse carcasses in the middle of all that rubble.
Once I got it all cleared away, I discovered that the aforementioned mouse pee had caused some serious corrosion behind the flywheel and THAT'S what was seizing the engine. It turns free now!! :yelclap: I don't have a battery to start it with, but I hooked up my charger. The starter works and there is spark! I couldn't spin it fast enough to start it, but I think it will run. :bounce:

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted September 01, 2010 - 08:34 PM

Holy Crap that was one big nest!

Reminds me of the time when I started up an old Briggs and mice started running out LOL.
That was a big nest as well

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted September 01, 2010 - 08:37 PM

I laughed very hard when I saw those pics !!! Glad it goes round now. GOOD SAVE ON THE TRACTOR but.... Did you save the Mice?

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 01, 2010 - 09:01 PM

Reminds me of the time when I started up an old Briggs and mice started running out LOL.
That was a big nest as well

Funny you should say that. My FIL had an old corn sheller that he put in the front yard for decoration. I was unfamiliar with this piece of equipment and walked up to ask him what it was, grabbed the handle as I posed the question and gave it a spin. No sooner had I gotten the words out of my mouth than a mouse ran up the chute and scampered up the front of me and jumped off of my shoulder. (here we need a smiley with REALLY wide eyes!) Ever since then we call it the mouse dispenser. :bigrofl:

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted September 01, 2010 - 09:07 PM

Funny you should say that. My FIL had an old corn sheller that he put in the front yard for decoration. I was unfamiliar with this piece of equipment and walked up to ask him what it was, grabbed the handle as I posed the question and gave it a spin. No sooner had I gotten the words out of my mouth than a mouse ran up the chute and scampered up the front of me and jumped off of my shoulder. (Posted Image) Ever since then we call it the mouse dispenser. :bigrofl:

:rofl2:

I added the smiley :D
  • caseguy said thank you

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted September 01, 2010 - 09:10 PM

Dang, that a a mouse condominium! Never seen one quite so stuffed!

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,607 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 01, 2010 - 09:48 PM

My FIL used to use an old Case to cut trails on his hunting farm. It had a turned up exhaust manifold and we would always set an old car muffler we found along the hiway on its manifold to quiet it down somewhat. When not in use the muffler was slipped off and laid horizontal on the floorboard so a tarp could be placed over the tractor. One time I removed the tarp, put the battery in and set the muffler on the manifold. I turned the gas on and hit the starter. The old Case sprang to life and after it idled a minute I poured the coals to it to make sure it was firing on all four. Pretty quick some black chunks came flying out of the muffler. We were trying to figure out what the flying objects were and upon close inspection I found they USED TO BE baby mice that had thier ears, feet and tails burned off and they were charred black.

anybody like thier mouse well done???

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 02, 2010 - 04:33 AM

:ditto:

#9 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted September 02, 2010 - 05:53 AM

That's quite a nest you found! Those mice sure must have been busy. I don't know what draws them to build in the engine shrouds but they sure like to build in them.

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 02, 2010 - 06:35 PM

My FIL used to use an old Case to cut trails on his hunting farm. It had a turned up exhaust manifold and we would always set an old car muffler we found along the hiway on its manifold to quiet it down somewhat. When not in use the muffler was slipped off and laid horizontal on the floorboard so a tarp could be placed over the tractor. One time I removed the tarp, put the battery in and set the muffler on the manifold. I turned the gas on and hit the starter. The old Case sprang to life and after it idled a minute I poured the coals to it to make sure it was firing on all four. Pretty quick some black chunks came flying out of the muffler. We were trying to figure out what the flying objects were and upon close inspection I found they USED TO BE baby mice that had thier ears, feet and tails burned off and they were charred black.

anybody like thier mouse well done???

Isn't that the only way to have 'em?

#11 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 02, 2010 - 06:46 PM

Just another update. The Wheel horse LIVES! :dancingbanana::yelclap::dancingbanana::yelclap::dancingbanana::yelclap::dancingbanana::yelclap::dancingbanana:
I stole the battery out of my 314 and spent some time cleaning the carburetor. I added a couple gallons of fresh fuel to the little bit of turpentine that was in the tank, gave it a little squirt of ether and she fired!! It ran a little rough and slow until the fuel lines were cleared of the old fuel and the PB Blaster burned out of the cylinder. I let my youngest drive it around the yard for a few minutes and took a couple of pics with my cell. He really enjoyed it and so did I! I think once all the older fuel is gone it'll be a wonderful runner. It drives nice too. I don't own any video equipment so I guess my word will have to do.
P.S. MH81 has nicknamed it the Hobby Horse since my other ones' nickname is the Work Horse!

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted September 02, 2010 - 06:50 PM

J I let my youngest drive it around the yard for a few minutes and took a couple of pics with my cell. He really enjoyed it and so did I! I don't own any video equipment so I guess my word will have to do.

We'll gladly accept those pics!

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted September 02, 2010 - 06:53 PM

We'll gladly accept those pics!

I don't have the right cable to get the pics off of my phone yet, but I have to go to the Verizon store tomorrow anyhow, maybe I'll pick one up!
Update:
My wife has a much better grasp on technology as a tool than I do. She showed me how to e-mail the pic to myself from my phone...So here it is!

Seans test drive.jpg

He was as happy as a lark!

Edited by caseguy, September 02, 2010 - 10:29 PM.

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted September 03, 2010 - 04:48 AM

Congrats on getting it running :thumbs: