Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Ultimate Snow Removal Machine!

snow removal lgt145 lgt165 v plow briggs & stratton snow blower snow plow hydraulics

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 12:01 PM

A 1980 XS1100. That brings back memories. I knew someone who had one of those. We referred to it as the Excessive 11. It was the biggest Jap. bike you could get at the time if memory serves. 

• Doug G said thank you

#17 Doug G OFFLINE  

Doug G
  • Member No: 17264
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 03:08 PM

JDBrian, you're right.  In it's day it was the fastest production bike.  I latched onto one with just 14k miles on it.  I striped it down to the bare frame, had it sand blasted & powder coated.  It looks & runs great!

That is my goal with my LGT tractors.  If I can strip them down and clean em up to give them new life, maybe I can get 30 more years out of them.  They just don't make equipment, vehicles, and machines like they used to.  On top of that, they charge more & give us less.  Ouch!

Edited by Doug G, December 26, 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 03:36 PM

At the time those bikes were way out of my league. That would be a really nice project putting one of those back into top shape. With only 14k on it you really had a great starting point. I have a JD 317 that I am restoring now. I have it in pieces and the frame is painted and ready for me to start reassembling parts. I am really looking forward to putting it in top shape, and like you said, using it for a good long time. JD still makes a real GT but the x700 series is touching 5 digits price wise and it wouldn't be as much fun to just go out and buy one even if the money was there. Picked up a snow thrower for it the other day and I already have a 54" blade that will work with it so I'm starting to get the attachments to make it earn it's keep. Keep us posted on your progress and I'm sure many here would like to see some XS11 pictures!

• Doug G said thank you

#19 Doug G OFFLINE  

Doug G
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Brian I will see about loading some XS11 pics. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Your 317 sounds like a great project. I would really need a bigger yard to require a new nice 5 digit Deere. They do make niçe tractors. Keep me posted on it's going. I'm anxious to see pics. I plan to work on my 145 this weekend & start the cleaning process. It's definitely time consuming.

#20 Doug G OFFLINE  

Doug G
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 10:10 AM

If anyone has any input or plans for fabricating a V-Plow from scratch I would greatly appreciate it.  Skyrdr2 has provided some valuable input on the hydraulics necessary.  I plan on adding the notes to my To-Do List for my LGT-145.

dmorrill22 has a great thread on the fabricated straight blade that he made. I can only hope the V-plow turns out as nice.  http://gardentractor...made-snow-plow/

#21 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Watchdog is assembling a blade here: http://gardentractor...ow/#entry255296

As for a V blade, look at a BOSS V blade snow plow to get ideas. Always thought this type of setup on a GT would be cool. Simple hinge in the middle, ram on each side. So many ideas, so little time.

• Doug G said thank you

#22 Doug G OFFLINE  

Doug G
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 10:37 PM

Thanks Bmerf, I'll be checking it out. I'm pretty much going to need to get my hydraulics set up, only after I get the 18 hp Briggs installed. I'm just needing some extra spare time to get to work on it. Once the holiday season clears up. Once it's up & running I hope to install a separate hydraulic setup pretty much like Skyrydr2 has. I've seen some rather interesting quick connect systems & I would like to be able to make all of my appliances universal, easy to attach & remove. I hope to get some pics loaded soon.

#23 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 06:08 PM

... I'm just needing some extra spare time to get to work on it.

I understand the time issue completely. I even took tens days off before all the Holidays and still couldn't find time to wrench on the 195. Plenty of wrenching, just not on a GT. Hope everything slows down a little for you.

• Doug G said thank you

#24 Doug G OFFLINE  

Doug G
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 08:22 PM

Thanks Bmerf, I was able to tinker a little today with it & my goal is to get to work on it Friday. I plan on doing some disassembling to start the cleanup. I hope to have some pics to upload & share come Saturday. Wish me luck!

#25 Doug G OFFLINE  

Doug G
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Okay, it's been a couple of weeks since I have posted anything. Since I last wrote, I have been working OT with my full time job & there's not much spare time to play. Just to keep those who have been following along upto date. I'm pretty sure I have have everything I need for the 18hp Briggs except for the shaft stub. I was able to acquire a used dual pulley pto that was on the same 422437 engine. I had a difficult time locating the dual pulley setup & I wanted to be sure to have the option. So, once I can get a chance to get to the machine shop I should be able to get the shaft stub made & make some free time to get the old Briggs installed. I'm just that much closer. Thanks for the input from everyone here. I appreciate it a bunch!

#26 Doug G OFFLINE  

Doug G
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 09:55 PM

Six months later and I’m finally back at it.  Sorry for not posting for so long but, things have been real busy for me.

Great news though.  For the last couple of weeks I’ve been slowly but surely have been prepping to stuff the 18hp opposed twin Briggs into my LGT-145.  I pulled it apart and took it to the car wash to spray off the grime.  It surprised me that it cleaned up so well.

I also started wire brushing on the frame to get rid of some of the rust.  I’ve thrown on some primer too.  Just to keep things from going south before I even get started with the installation.

Last winter I purchased a gasket kit and rebuild kit for the carburetor.  Last Friday my dad and I put a new crank cover gasket on and I went through the carb.  The carburetor actually looked rather clean and the gaskets seemed to be in pretty good shape.  It’s a simple carb so I plan to use the old gaskets and rebuild it if need be.

Actually the shoe-horning process has only taken a day so far.  With the use of my dad’s engine lift and his spare garage we prepped the frame and took most of a day checking alignment and reviewing all of our options.  As suggested by skyrydr2 the left frame rail had to be hammer modified to get enough clearance for the starter.  It hurt to cut up the motor mounts but, it will be well worth the sacrifice once I hear the Briggs running while on the LGT frame.  The left motor mount needed to be cut enough to help clear the starter also.  Both motor mounts were first flattened and then at about half way down the bracket we put in an approx. 45 degree bend.  When the Briggs is placed between the frame rails it slides right down between the brackets.  Now, I’m trying to decide if I want the motor to sit on the brackets or hang from the brackets the way skyrydr2 does.  I will know more for sure come Wednesday.  I want to make sure the motor isn’t sitting on the cross member once in place. 

A friend took my old shaft stub from my dead K321 Kohler and cut it down and machined it to fit into a flange that I had acquired for just $5.00 dollars.  As of tomorrow the coupling from the Briggs flange to the LGT shaft drive should be ready to install.

My goal for Wednesday the 3rd is to finish the motor mounts, put some oil in the Briggs, and maybe, just maybe fire the beast up.  Needless to say no matter what happens I plan to provide an update along with some pics.

Happy Independence Day everyone.

Doug

• olcowhand said thank you

#27 Doug G OFFLINE  

Doug G
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Well, yesterday the 6th and Wednesday the 3rd, my dad and I tinkered with the shoe horning process.  The shaft stub is complete but, I'm not totally sure if I like the position that it has the motor in.  Early yesterday morning a good friend welded my motor mount  brackets.  We opted to mount the motor on top of the brackets.  This could still get changed. LoL

The motor sits just an inch forward more than I would like it to be.  The way the motor sits now the end pulley for the electronic clutch is directly over the front frame bracket.  Moving the motor back will place it 1/4 inch behind the front frame bracket.  My other option is to remove the pulley from the electronic clutch and have it moved back to clear the frame bracket. I have about 3/4 of an inch between the pulleys.  If worse comes to worse, I can utilize the pulley closest to the motor and just leave the front pulley free.  I would like to  use one pulley for a secondary hydraulic pump one day so leaving it free may not be an option.  

One other issue is the shaft from the motor to the hydrostatic tranny has been somewhat difficult to keep in alignment.  It barely clears the rear bracket and a steering box bolt.  This is another item I have to consider if I'm going to keep the motor above the mounts.

Needless to say not much room to spare.

• olcowhand said thank you

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 09:44 AM

Better to keep the driveshaft angles at a minimum.  You will get more vibration & require greasing the driveshaft U-joints much more often if you have steeper angles on the shaft.

Got any pics of how she currently sits?

#29 Doug G OFFLINE  

Doug G
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Tnx olcowhand,

I'm trying to make sure everything stays straight from the very front to the back hydrostatic drive. I have a few pics but, I need to try and get specific shots to show how it sits. We were looking it over before we quit yesterday and I was wondering if I had my coupling off just a bit. That would make a difference. I hope to load some pics in this week.

#30 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 03:25 AM

Doug, you need to "hang" the engine on the mounts. Also, cut off about an inch off the flange that slips over the shaft off the flywheel (I cut mine near the threaded hole and drilled and tapped a new one), this will allow you to move the engine back even further so the pto will line up. You are using the Ford factory pto pulleys correct?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snow removal, lgt145 lgt165, v plow, briggs & stratton, snow blower, snow plow, hydraulics