• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,745 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:08 AM

Thanks! I've never been close to a snow blower so those pics are a learning experience for me.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#17 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 03:50 PM

One more coat of paint late tonight or tomorrow morning. Then it will get set aside for a week to cure before I re-assemble.

Couple of things I've learned with the HVLP gun. Like olcowhand suggested, enamel hardener on every coat of color.

I have also learned I'm going too thin on the coats. Fine to be thin on the first one, maybe the second, but I wasn't getting full coverage on them. Paint was kind of speckled, I could see spots. I thought it was rough, but using steel wool on it just removed it. The coat this morning I tried going thicker, and it is really looking good right now. I read on here about how others deal with fixing runs in their paint, and I thought to myself I've never had a run. Must be doing something wrong. So here is what I'm talking about:

Too thin:

Bolens snowthrower2 003.jpg

Better:

Bolens snowthrower2 002.jpg Bolens snowthrower2 007.jpg

#18 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 11:42 AM

This morning I shot the 4th (and hopefully last) coat of paint on the snowblower. Looks good from what I can tell at least.

Found something out by accident. My HVLP gun is supposed to run between 50-70 psi. I run the compressor at 50, on the gun I have the air mixture turned up almost to max, with the paint needle set pretty low. When I started painted, I thought it looked good on the coverage and the pattern. As I was going along, it kept getting better. I had 6 ounces mixed up, and halfway through it I realized the compressor was turned off. It had 30 psi in it. So I turned down the regulator to 35-40 psi, and was much happier with how it went on. I guess little things you pick up on as a person gets more experience using one. :thumbs:

Big thanks to everyone that contributed to all the painting tips and techniques threads here. :thank_you: I would of never attempted a purchase and use of a HVLP gun without reading on this site. To those on the fence about it: You probably have a compressor already. It doesn't take a big compressor to keep up with this style of gun. My gun was a HF cheapy. $15. Ten bucks for paper filters to strain the paint. $10 bucks for Naptha to thin the paint. $18 for enamel hardener. $25 for new filters for my air mask. Gloves I already had. (last two items for working around and handling the paint when it has the hardener mixed in, nasty stuff)

So, $78 to get started on gun spraying vs. using rattle cans. But it gets better. $7 ? now for a can of spray paint. 12 ounces. Get almost 3 times that much in a quart, for $16. But thinning it down and adding the hardener extends it even farther. I'm not sure I would of gotten the snowblower painted with 4 cans of spray. I doubt it. I used almost (2 ounces shy) all of a quart to paint this. It seems to me a spray can doesn't go far. So every time I throw paint now, I save money. Just set-up and clean-up take longer.

Oops, forgot to add a pic:

Bolens snowthrower3.jpg

#19 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 03:02 PM

I got done throwing paint on the broom frame, so I started re-assembling the snowblower. Need the pto shaft to dry, then I will hook it up in the morning and see how it does.

Assembly 002.jpg Assembly 003.jpg Assembly 001.jpg

#20 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:54 PM

Stuffed it in the shed today without putting the wings on, they're not done yet. I also did not spin it up and try it for two reasons.

1. The pto knuckle almost hits the pin mount tube I welded on there for the Sweester. Don't wanna wreck nothing. I ground it down another 1/4" after I dropped it off.

Finished 004.jpg

2. I thinking about selling this when I'm done with it. I'll try the blower out to make sure it works well, but the paint needs some more cure time. Yeah, that's it.

Finished 001.jpg Finished 002.jpg Finished 003.jpg

• Texas Deere and Horse and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#21 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:35 PM

Cat, This SB turned out really nice. Did you copy the frame to use on the Sweepster or just going to switch back and forth?

#22 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:46 PM

Just swap implements, the frame stays on. That frame for the snowblower was the correct height for the Sweepster, so I added that bar underneath in the first pic with a 3/4" hole drilled through it, and added some pipe to extend it a bit to stiffen it up.

#23 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Cat, I'm doubting the snow will make it to the end of that shute? Especially wet stuff.

.. and boy does it suck up the horsepower!!!!!

Keith was right, my chute design stinks. The snow flies out around the bottom, and I don't have enough curve in the chute. I will have to take it apart and redo it quite a bit. Enclose the bottom more, extend the sides out farther, and when it's loaded with snow, I can't rotate the chute. Little adjustment needed on the worm screw.

test run 006.jpg

When I first started, I had forgotten to install the set screws on one of the sprocket hubs. (oops) So the auger stopped dead right away. So installed those, but remembered it is supposed to be on a keyway also. Pull it apart, install key, re-assemble. Now it works.

The speed up improvements and re-doing the paddle cups really helped. Like Keith said, it really sucks up the horsepower though. I waited for the worse time to try it out, it's 36 degrees and sunny here, so the snow is really heavy and wants to stick.

It blew the snow (what stayed in the chute, I should say) about 30 feet. Straight up, though. :wallbanging:  On the best pass, I think the snow was sailing about 40 feet up, and landing 20 feet away. When I tipped the spout all the way down, it went about 12-15 feet straight out. Very happy with how it blows snow, very disappointed in my design to send the snow where I want it.

test run 004.jpg test run 003.jpg

Also very unhappy with the wife, she took a few pics before I got into the deeper stuff. I will have to take my own video, I guess. As they say, what you see here is nothing. I even had a truck slow way down and watch for a bit from the county road. Should of ran him out a business card for the forum.

• skyrydr2 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#24 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 05:47 PM

Its all in the length and angle. You actually need the snow to slide across its surface, not bounce off it per say.
  • Cat385B and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#25 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 02:36 PM

I modified the chute and it's now working better. I enclosed the bottom 7 inches, and made the sides wider for the next ten inches up. Now when the snow goes up the chute it's in one solid stream instead of looking like a party favor exploding.

test 2 001.jpg test 2 003.jpg test 2 002.jpg

I also cut the sides of the chute in two places, took out a pie-shaped sliver, bent the back down to close the gap, and then re-welded it.

test 2 005.jpg test 2 007.jpg

Now I need to grind down the welds and then repaint it. Then we'll probably not get another flake of snow until this fall. :wallbanging:

#26 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 02:51 PM

It doesn't like snow deeper than the blower, though: (I plugged it)

#27 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 03:39 PM

That blower steals some power doesn't it !!

#28 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,927 posts

Posted March 28, 2013 - 10:47 PM

After doing some measuring, the blower threw slush snow with standing water under it onto the deck of the treehouse. Which was 20 feet to the side of my pass, and the floor of the treehouse is 16' up. I'm still grinning.

The repainted chute is hanging in the garage. Re-assemble and put into cold storage tomorrow.

It's done snowing, right?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, fmc, 1330, 42 blower, snowthrower