#1 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,915 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:24 PM

Started on the 42" snowblower (Bolens model 1330) for the Bolens - Iseki G152 this evening.

It needs some tweaking to the guide/skid pads. They won't let the blower's cutting edge drop all the way to the ground.

Bolens 003.jpg

The auger paddles have been beat up pretty bad. There is a half inch gap from the paddle to the housing when the auger is spinning. It throws dry snow about 10-12 feet. Very unimpressive.

Bolens 005.jpg

There is a 10" (or so) #40 roller chain sprocket on the end of the auger. It is slightly tweaked. I may just switch that out to something smaller to increase auger speed.

Bolens 003.jpg

I am going to try to build a new chute for this. After looking at some pics and doing some measuring, I'm thinking about 28"-30" tall. I will re-use the existing deflector.

Bolens 010.jpg

The existing decals and warning stickers are in fine shape, no need to replace them.

Ahrens Christmas 2012 074.jpg

The snowblower has a serial number of 0100121.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,915 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:32 PM

I am also going to add wings to widen the blower out to 48-50" or so. Like these:

78ti79557.jpg

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,915 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 05:55 PM

Okay, now I'm having fun. Both lock collars on the shaft are froze on.

13852_lg.jpg

They are in between the end of the auger and the side panels. Without those loose, I can't get a puller on either bearing on the ends. I also can't get the sprocket on the end of the shaft coming from the gearbox off. The hub of the sprocket is a TaperLock. That doesn't wanna go anywhere either. I ran one of the bolts through the removal hole and got nothing.

What fun.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 06:02 PM

Sounds like your making some good progress. Wish I knew more about these so I could help/ offer you some pointers :D

#5 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,176 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Okay, now I'm having fun. Bot lock collars on the shaft are froze on.

13852_lg.jpg

They are in between the end of the auger and the side panels. Without those loose, I can't get a puller on either bearing on the ends. I also can't get the sprocket on the end of the shaft coming from the gearbox off. The hub of the sprocket is a TaperLock. That doesn't wanna go anywhere either. I ran one of the bolts through the removal hole and got nothing.

What fun.

I'm not familiar with the model # of your attachment.  ....However, many of the Bolens (and other brands) snow blowers share the same style of construction.

Have you removed the 3 bolts holding the flanges to the blower housing?  .....Can you spring the sides of the blower housing out enough to remove the auger with the bearings still in place? 

Most of those lock collars were not like the pic you posted.  ....Instead, they were an eccentric collar that locked the inner bearing race of the self-aligning bearing to the auger shaft so that the shaft would not spin inside the inner race of the bearing. 

Once the set screw is removed from the collar, the collar could be rotated (in one direction only) to release it's grip on the shaft.

....Then, the bearings would usually come off the shaft without needing a lot of force.  ....Of course, if rust is a factor, then more force is needed.

• Cat385B and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,915 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 09:56 PM

Bruce, thanks for the info. I got 2 outta 3 of the set screws out. I got one of the eccentric collars to rotate. I broke a cheap 3 jaw puller off after that trying to pull the bearing. I'll let it soak overnight, and try again in the morning. If it don't go then, then I break out the files, saw blades, torches, and grinding wheels. Time is money around here.

:bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :hitting_self_roller:

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,915 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 05:47 PM

Well, dis-assembly went just as expected. I had to pick up some parts today.

I wrecked both bearings on the auger. They were froze on there (as the Germans say) gutentight. The sprocket on the end of the auger was bent already. (no, really!) The bearing on the pto shaft from the gearbox didn't survive the procedure. (honest, the air hammer seemed like a good idea at the time) The sprocket on the end of that same shaft looked at me funny. (or.......it could be a bit bigger to increase auger speed, one of those two)

So, two sprockets, two hubs, 3 bearings, 3 sets of flanges, and a 7" grinding disc later, we're back on track. I also stopped at the steel supply store. I picked up some plate to work on the gearbox for the broom, and some tubing and angle for the same. Also picked up some flat stock to build a new chute. Gonna give that a whirl after supper, see if the kids can learn some new words.

• Alc, JDBrian and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 05:54 PM

I just got a JD49 single stage thrower and will be digging into it next spring. I'll probably be dealing with all these same issues. I've read that increasing the speed on the 49 really helps it toss the snow further. About a 10% increase seems to work well. Some people have gone further but then there is more of a chance of breaking something. 

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,915 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 05:40 PM

Out with the old chute, in with the new one:

chute 002.jpg chute 004.jpg

Still have to trim up the excess and grind the welds. Then drill for the spout deflector bolts and adjustment holes.

#10 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 06:21 AM

Cat, I'm doubting the snow will make it to the end of that shute? Especially wet stuff.
Mine had pretty tight tolerances and I was turning the pto shaft at 2500 rpm plus and it still didn't blow the snow very far ... and boy does it suck up the horsepower!!!!! Even after slowing things down to proper speeds with the correct pto rpm. This was why I went 2 stage.

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,915 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:08 AM

I was considering putting the new chute on my Homelite to try it out, but that would take the fun out of it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with your blower, Keith. It sounds like it really did not work worth a darn. No wonder you went to a two stage, I would of also. It certainly sounds like you tried all the tricks to get it to work better.

When I tried this one out it plugged twice, because it came from a 55 degree garage into 10 degree snow. After that, the main issue I noticed was the large amount of snow stuck to the housing behind the auger, underneath the chute. When I got into some deeper stuff and turned the deflector down, I was getting about 10' of distance on it. It didn't seem to be lacking power. Hopefully closing up the tolerances, increasing auger speed and balance, and getting the metal smooth, painted, and waxed is going to change things.

#12 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:46 PM

In your first picture is that a tiller on the back for breaking up the ice,or for added propulsion! Blower looks good!

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,915 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Got the last of the primer done today. Wet sand tonight and throw some black on it starting tomorrow.

This took way too long. :wallbanging:  I bet I have 25 hours invested just repairing/welding/grinding on this dumb thing. It better work good when I'm done.

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 06:54 AM

Some pics would be nice!

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,915 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 07:57 AM

Some pics would be nice!

Pictures it is then.

Bolens snowthrower 004.jpg Bolens snowthrower 005.jpg

Bolens snowthrower 006.jpg Bolens snowthrower 007.jpg

Bolens snowthrower 008.jpg Bolens snowthrower 010.jpg

Bolens snowthrower 011.jpg Bolens snowthrower 013.jpg

Bolens snowthrower 014.jpg Bolens snowthrower 015.jpg

• KennyP and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, fmc, 1330, 42 blower, snowthrower