• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tractorbuds OFFLINE  

Tractorbuds
  • Member No: 15069
  • 13 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hi there. My son and I just picked up a tatty 316. It is a 1986 according to the s/n with the B43 Onan engine. We have got it running and she purrs like a kitten. The deck is really rough but runs smooth and quiet. 

However, the steering feels a little loose and I'm wondering if I could get some pointers are to where to look. The tie rods ends are all good. The sloppiness seems to be in the steering column itself or maybe the steering box. Again, it steers well, but the steering wheel seems loose and will actually pull up out of the column a little bit.

Your assistance and ideas would be much appreciated?

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 08:10 PM

More than likely I would expect the steering box/column needs rebuilt.  The service manual offers a procedure to tighten up the box but time and wear call for rebuild.  Do you have a service manual?  Are you familiar with www.jdparts.com?

#3 Tractorbuds OFFLINE  

Tractorbuds
  • Member No: 15069
  • 13 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 08:15 PM

I have a pdf file for service, so I will have to have a look at that procedure. From there I guess I will have to source parts or a good used box. 

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 09:22 PM

The 316 uses a different steering setup than any of the other JD GT's of that era. The steering wheel attaches to a drive shaft type arrangement that connects to the steering gear with a clamp. If the bolt is loose it may allow the wheel to slip on the shaft and also lift up like you are seeing. That's where I'd start. The gear itself can build up slack and cause a lot of the slop. Generally all the wear points will get a bit loose as a tractor ages and you'll need to go through the whole linkage to determine what needs repair or replacement.