11 replies to this topic

#1 bigcountry48 OFFLINE  

bigcountry48
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10316
  • 101 Thanks
  • 207 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 03:25 PM

I am looking to try and use oven cleaner to strip mt DB, and I was wondering if anyone had some pictures of before and after the oven cleaner? Also all tips and brand suggestions are welcomed, thanks a bunch and looking forward to your replies!

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 03:27 PM

Use an electrosis tank, you will have better luck.
  • bigcountry48 said thank you

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 06:34 PM

I tried oven cleaner on an expanded metal grill just yesterday.  Didn't do anything at all.  And it would depend on what type of paint, etc.  It's going into my E-tank now.

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 07:21 PM

Are you tearing the DB right apart?

If so, E-tank, and/or sandblasting are your best bet.

#5 bigcountry48 OFFLINE  

bigcountry48
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10316
  • 101 Thanks
  • 207 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 08:29 PM

The DB is completely dismantled, and will be painted and put back together by Friday. I know I said it would be a back burner, but I can't get the parts together for the B12, and this will be a quick and somewhat easy restoration. I am going to use the rustoleum series paint at home depot, has anybody had any luck with this brand? It will be the first time I haven't used valspar on the resto. Back to the stripping paint, I think I am just going to stick to the wire wheel and hand sander. After Friday all I will need to do is hopefully get the 5 hp  Briggs from Amigatec, and strip and paint it then start plowing!

Edited by bigcountry48, December 25, 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 09:05 PM

If you use oven cleaner be careful, I was using some this morning ( with mixed results) and inhaled some when the wind changed, I don't think I will use it again, I will use my pressure was to help degrease.... No more harsh chemicals for me!

#7 gsmith1951 OFFLINE  

gsmith1951
  • Member No: 21401
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 07:52 PM

yes i'v used rustoleum it works grate

#8 whst400 OFFLINE  

whst400
  • Member No: 10929
  • 25 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 11:03 AM

Using an E tank will not do a very god job of removing paint from sound steel. It will remove paint that is attached to rust, since it removes the rust from under the paint thereby releasing the paint.

Oven cleaner may do a fair job of removing some types of paint but it is caustic and if not completely removed will eat away at the steel. It also isn't cheap if you have a lot of paint to remove. If you are looking for a chemical paint remover why not actually use a chemical paint remover such as "Zip Strip", "Kleanz", etc.?

#9 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 11:08 AM

Using an E tank will not do a very god job of removing paint from sound steel. It will remove paint that is attached to rust, since it removes the rust from under the paint thereby releasing the paint.

Oven cleaner may do a fair job of removing some types of paint but it is caustic and if not completely removed will eat away at the steel. It also isn't cheap if you have a lot of paint to remove. If you are looking for a chemical paint remover why not actually use a chemical paint remover such as "Zip Strip", "Kleanz", etc.?

I've found my e-tank to do quite well even on sound steel.  The paint looks intact, but will scrape off easily with a putty knife.  But I will say, a good stripper works great!  I prefer Zip Strip myself.

• kwj427 said thank you

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 08:06 PM

I have used oven cleaner numerous times, but as mentioned above, it can be quite hard to breathe when working with it, as the fumes are impossible. My technique though, is heat the parts up first, then apply the oven cleaner. The oven cleaner only works it's best when applied to warm or hot parts, as the heat from the steel will help the cleaner cook and soften the old paint. After it's applied, allow it to sit and work for about ten minutes, then spray it good with a high pressure washer. In most cases, I get all of the paint off with just one application, but every now and then, I'll come across some parts that require two applications. If you can't heat the parts, then oven cleaner isn't your best method for paint removal. My suggestion would be the Zip-Strip also. Just don't spray the Zip-Strip on any belts if possible, as it will soften the belts, and cause them to break down in strength.  

#11 kwj427 OFFLINE  

kwj427

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 389
  • 56 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 08:41 AM

where can you buy the zip-strip?

thanks kenny

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 08:51 AM

where can you buy the zip-strip?

thanks kenny

Most any home supply or hardware store.  Walmart may have it too.