Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:07 AM

Only certain rifles need to have barrels changed out and theAR comes in single, 3 round bursts or full as the selector switch shows. I have a S&W M&P thats this style also a Rock River Arms. The point is, it can be converted. Wether a law changes or not, criminals will alwas obtain guns. Drugs are illegal, right?

#17 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:08 AM

I don't what's so great about either an AK47 or an AR15. The AK is not that accurate, and the AR likes to jam.

Not trying to single you out, I have just heard similar arguments recently.

Whats so great about a $500 bottle of wine?

Whats so great about a $$$$$$ sports car?

whats so great about $1M house?

Whats so great about a brand new John deere? :D

Its not about whats so great about it, its about personal preference and the ability to have what you want. I have an AR because I wanted it at the time. No, I am not going to give the common reasons of home defense, personal protection, collecting, zombie apocolypse, or even hunting. I bought it because I wanted one and there is no reason that I shouldnt have it. I am not a criminal, I have no intentions of harming anyone with it, I just wanted to own one. I have no need for it, but I do enjoy shooting it.

• fishman, Amigatec and Team_Green have said thanks

#18 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:15 AM

Its not about whats so great about it, its about personal preference and the ability to have what you want. I have an AR because I wanted it at the time. No, I am not going to give the common reasons of home defense, personal protection, collecting, zombie apocolypse, or even hunting. I bought it because I wanted one and there is no reason that I shouldnt have it. I am not a criminal, I have no intentions of harming anyone with it, I just wanted to own one. I have no need for it, but I do enjoy shooting it.

Ditto

#19 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:16 AM

Well said

#20 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:54 AM

I own a Glock for the same reason, I have seen people not like them because they don't have a safety lever on the side. Or the plastic they are made out of.

#21 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 11:39 AM

I own a Glock for the same reason, I have seen people not like them because they don't have a safety lever on the side. Or the plastic they are made out of.

I went and got a PTR-91 PDW the other day for the same reason. Probably never would have gotten one like that, but that's one of my personality traits, I guess.

Attached Thumbnails

• PTR91PDW.jpg

#22 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 11:42 AM

I own firearms.  More than some people, less than some.  I don't own any machine guns, silencers or sawed off shotguns.  In the 1930's laws were enacted to help keep them out of law abiding and criminal hands.  I've done ok without one of them.

I have hunted with a semi auto rifle and semi auto shotgun. They have been made of fine blued steel and beautiful wood.  I could hunt with an AR15 or AK47 type of gun in NY if the semi auto rifle is only capable of holding 6 or less rounds.  I guess I would have to have a modified magazine in that case.  

I own an AR15 because I wanted one.  It was legal to buy one and I did.  I enjoy shooting it.  The rod and gun club I go to recently adopted rules severely restricting rapid fire at the range.  No bump firing, no fast as you can magazine dumps, The neighbors had been subjected to war like sounds for several years until the restrictions were put in place.  I still shoot there, wanting to be a good neighbor and abide by the club rules.  ( I dumped a couple of magazines there over the years too)  I don't miss not being able to do that.  I would miss having that range more if it were to close.  A range one county over had to close because a neighbor threatened to sue because errant rounds from yahoos not shooting safely sent rounds into close proximity to the neighbor.  The members there miss that range.

I think a citizen of legal standing should be able to purchase a firearm if they want one.  I will be able to defend my home with my Henry .44 magnum lever action or my AR15.  I will continue to hunt deer with the Henry.  

I think the social issues that have produced these mass killers, or ignored them, need to be better addressed.  Mental Health is a difficult and often overlooked issue in society.  None of these individuals were firing on all cylinders.  What created them?  Could they have been intercepted before they acted?  Obviously they were not.

People kill people with guns, knives, clubs, poisons and especially cars.  All methods have the same result.  When driving while intoxicated accidents and deaths got to a certain point, laws got tougher, groups formed and fewer people were losing their lives to drunk driving.  People still drink.  I do.

I lock up my guns and when the kids were young, I locked up the liquor.  It was the responsible thing to do and still is.  I will continue to enjoy the liberties given to us in this country.  I will do my part not to infringe on others rights as they do the same for me.  

I hope this country makes logical choices tempered with sound reasoning and informed input.  

• nra1ifer, MH81, Bruce Dorsi and 2 others have said thanks

#23 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for the info.. I was just unsure of the full auto or semi auto.. 

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 12:35 PM

Guys, I have been a gun owner and hunter for longer than I can remember. I vote 2nd Ammendment often. Brought up respecting them and using them as the tools they are... For both hunting and as a method of enjoyment. I take pride in hitting the mark the same way i take pride in turning a good furrow.
I have a close friend who is licensed to own full auto. I have been around them for several years and while not an expert, I do know enough to be concerned with a couple of the topics broached in this thread.

Conversion of a semi to full without proper authorization is a felony. I know that was the point, that criminals can and could, but I want to state that we might want to be a little less "file here and spring there" and a little more "I own this because"
I don't want this to get into a do it yourself discussion.

Considering the hot button topic guns are right now, the fact that this could turn into a flame war of differing opinions, and that this has a potential for turning into something we have to moderate... I ask all participants to keep it in check, mind your P's and Q's, and think about who else may be reading. This forum is open to the public at large, google searches will hit on it, and non members can read it. Let's keep it reflecting the high quality persona of our membership as a whole.
  • olcowhand, powerking56, DougT and 11 others have said thanks

#25 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 12:57 PM

Guys, I have been a gun owner and hunter for longer than I can remember. I vote 2nd Ammendment often. Brought up respecting them and using them as the tools they are... For both hunting and as a method of enjoyment. I take pride in hitting the mark the same way i take pride in turning a good furrow.
I have a close friend who is licensed to own full auto. I have been around them for several years and while not an expert, I do know enough to be concerned with a couple of the topics broached in this thread.

Conversion of a semi to full without proper authorization is a felony. I know that was the point, that criminals can and could, but I want to state that we might want to be a little less "file here and spring there" and a little more "I own this because"
I don't want this to get into a do it yourself discussion.

Considering the hot button topic guns are right now, the fact that this could turn into a flame war of differing opinions, and that this has a potential for turning into something we have to moderate... I ask all participants to keep it in check, mind your P's and Q's, and think about who else may be reading. This forum is open to the public at large, google searches will hit on it, and non members can read it. Let's keep it reflecting the high quality persona of our membership as a whole.

You have that right it could turn and fast.. I was at a friends place for Christmas eve last night..His wife and her friend brought up this discussion of guns. They both went on about no one in this modern time needs a gun.. My buddy asked me to hold back.. but once the two girls got rude and calling all gun owners a bunch of crazies things got interesting.  

• nra1ifer and Amigatec have said thanks

#26 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 01:12 PM

You have that right it could turn and fast.. I was at a friends place for Christmas eve last night..His wife and her friend brought up this discussion of guns. They both went on about no one in this modern time needs a gun.. My buddy asked me to hold back.. but once the two girls got rude and calling all gun owners a bunch of crazies things got interesting.  

I'm glad you reminded them that THEIR opinion was not the only one that could be voiced!

• Team_Green said thank you

#27 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 01:14 PM

Oklahoma passed an Open Carry Law this year, and the Anti's had all kinds of things to say. The times that I have OCed no one ever noticed.
  • Team_Green said thank you

#28 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 01:37 PM

Oklahoma passed an Open Carry Law this year, and the Anti's had all kinds of things to say. The times that I have OCed no one ever noticed.

You guys have passed a few great laws and have really dug in your heals to be a great state..  I have been very impressed.  I love the drivers licence test will ONLY be printed in english..  Be proud of your state Amigatec...

• Amigatec said thank you

#29 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 03:22 PM

There are add ons for AR15s.

Edited by MH81, December 26, 2012 - 07:15 PM.
Edited for content

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 03:25 PM

If I see one more comment on 'full auto' here, this thread is history!

• daytime dave, fishman, Amigatec and 3 others have said thanks