• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 12:22 AM

Fill me in.. are there full auto? or are they all semi auto like so many hunting rifles? If the big difference the mag capacity?  

#2 fishman OFFLINE  

fishman

• Member No: 5368
  • 19 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 01:21 AM

Mag. Capacity is a big issue. But they are talking about semi-auto. Any semi-auto with more then 10 round mag. So it's not just AR-15 platform it could & will be all rifles from 22lr to what ever. The thing I just don't understand is I've never seen a gun hurt anyone. They just lay there entill someone picks it up. I really don't like what the government is tring to do, but I work in a gun shop & they are really helping us out sale are through the roof. Not just semi-auto but all guns. Sorry I went on so long hope I answered your question.
  • boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 07:12 AM

Plain and simple its from whats called the Brady Act. Started in 1994 because of a mother that lost a child from an "assault" rifle.  (he was shot multiple times in seconds)  That is the brief of the story.  Now on that, most guns can be turned from semi to full auto with little more than a spring kit.  You can purchase them at some gun shows depending on the state.  most states will not allow the sale of "full" auto.  Semi just means it will fire as fast as you pull the trigger without having to re-cock or shufle the action. Full auto will fire as long as you hold the trigger back.  I have been teaching firearms as far as shooting, taredown, clearing buildings, home defense, tactical spot on close quarter, you name it....for some time and its like this : if guns kill people, then spoons make people fat and cars drive drunk.........

• tractorgarden said thank you

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 07:28 AM

Converting an AR15 to full auto takes quite a few parts. The bolt is different, the lower receiver has to machined out, the full auto sear, and safety switch have to be added. And I believe the barrel is different, due to the extra heat from full auto fire. I have fired both semi and full auto, and your accuracy with full auto is not very good and wastes a lot of ammo. That is why the M16A2 is 3 round burst.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,546 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 08:28 AM

The problem, as I see it, is that many people want to blame an inanimate object rather than the perpetratetors. These "brain dead bleeding hearts" insist that children can never be spanked, everyone be taught that they are entitled, and its never the perps fault when they do something wrong. If the guns aren't blamed their fantasy theory of life is shattered. In many ways its like ninety years ago when alcohol was outlawed. It didn't work, but sure caused alot of problems for many years even after it was repealled.

Our leaders will do what they think is popular and not care what is real nor correct. I do think that this is smoke to cover the confiscation of all guns. The brain dead think that the bad guys are going to obey the gun laws. Look at New York City, their very strict gun laws don't work.

I live in a rural area with police atleast 30 minutes away. We have very little crime, most houses have a gun or two. Would I have to dig out my old Boy Scout bow and arrows?

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 08:45 AM

Now on that, most guns can be turned from semi to full auto with little more than a spring kit.  You can purchase them at some gun shows depending on the state.  most states will not allow the sale of "full" auto. 

I thnk its important to point out how illegal this is. What are the reprocussions of unlawfully converting you semi into full auto. What are the reprocussions of having both the weapon and the full auto kit in your posesion. I know in NC we can own class 3 weapons and items but they have to be registered and all the proper taxes and forms must be in place. But if you have the kits and they are unregistared then you face some severe penalties (prison time).

After spending many years hanging out in gun stores and being in the gun culture, I will admit that there are some very sane people that I think shouldnt own guns.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 08:55 AM

Black Rifle refers to rifles originally meant for military use. Generally they will be autoloading and have high capacity magazines.
There are very few auto firing riifles in use in the States, to own one requires an extensive background check. It also requires that you pay a large fee to license it ($5000) I think.
When I was a boy, John Wayne Randolph Scott Gary Coooper and Jimmy Stewart were using six guns and lever action Winchester ans Marlin rifles. So thats what we wanted and for the most part bought.
The following generation grew up with Rambo, Green Berets etc.
Marketing by Gun Makers has not helped either. I own a Savage 10 FP, that was listed in their catalog as a Police/Sniper Rifle and it is all black and chambered for .223(chambering for AR15). It is a bolt action rifle and other than the black stock is no different than their varmint rifle. Their is nothing inherently wrong with a black rifle its more about the stigma created by the Media,Entertainment industry and STUPID ELECTED OFFICIALS that want to build their rep by hanging their hat on mighty thin air.
If I thought more laws would prevent an incident like Newtown, I would accept it. But history has proven that bad guys dont follow the law. There are enough laws on the books and the real problem is Law Enforcement either can not or will not enforce them.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 25, 2012 - 09:05 AM.

• wawcub47 said thank you

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,630 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 09:17 AM

Something I don't understand is people running out to purchase guns right now while the "still can".   First off,  they should have already had enough guns to defend themselves,  but that aside,  if the gubbernment outlaws semi-auto's with a magazine capactiy of more than three [or whatever] those guns will have to be turned in for destruction.  I doubt very seriously elected officials will outlaw thier sale without also outlawing ownership.   

#9 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 09:33 AM

those guns will have to be turned in for destruction....... 

Good Luck with that!!!

• Gtractor, tractorgarden and robert_p43 have said thanks

#10 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 09:35 AM

I don't what's so great about either an AK47 or an AR15. The AK is not that accurate, and the AR likes to jam. If I'm going to buy a gun to hunt with, I would pick something like 30-30 or a 30-06. Just my opinion.

#11 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 09:48 AM

Kid you'll shoot your eye out!!

image.jpg

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 09:54 AM

Something I don't understand is people running out to purchase guns right now while the "still can".   First off,  they should have already had enough guns to defend themselves,  but that aside,  if the gubbernment outlaws semi-auto's with a magazine capactiy of more than three [or whatever] those guns will have to be turned in for destruction.  I doubt very seriously elected officials will outlaw thier sale without also outlawing ownership.   

Past practice has not shown that to be true. The 1994 bill that made high capacity Assult rifles illegal made an exception for those that had been sold prior to the bill being enacted to be legal and you could own them. You just could no longer buy them.
And as I understand the bill that Diane FEINSTEIN is about to submit also excepts those that have been sold since the 1994 ban was repealed. I have no need or even want an assualt rifle, but resent the government telling me I cant own one. I do own and have hunted with autoloading rifles for over 40 years. Im gonna raise a fuss if they tell me I can no longer own what has been a trusted tool for that many years.
Adolph Hitler said the first step in concouring a nation was to disarm the citizens.
  • Gtractor, tractorgarden and robert_p43 have said thanks

#13 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 09:59 AM

The purpose of the 2nd Admendment, was so the people could protect themselves from the Government. The States created the Fed Gov and not the other way around.
  • nra1ifer, JD DANNELS, tractorgarden and 1 other said thanks

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:01 AM

Kid you'll shoot your eye out!!
[img]http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/public/style_images/GTtalk/attachicon.gif[/img] image.jpg
Yep yesterday I was in the Bass Proshop with the wife. I told her some things have not changed. When i saw a lady walking out with a Red rider BB gun.

#15 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:04 AM

The purpose of the 2nd Admendment, was so the people could protect themselves from the Government. The States created the Fed Gov and not the other way around.

Thank you very much