tec to a magnum

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky66 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10919
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 12:52 PM

Has anyone swapped out the Tecumseh in an older Sears for a Kohler Magnum 10? I have a Magnum motor kicking around and am tempted to grab a Sears SS12 (I think thats what it is) with no motor. Any clearance issues? Advice?

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,692 Thanks
  • 28,336 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 01:07 PM

If memory serves from previous conversion threads, it will need to be lifted about an inch and there was some difference in the output shaft size. If the motor is missing altogether, then you'll need to find a different pulley anyways...

Are you planning on running a mower deck, snow blower or sickle bar? If not, then all you have to do is find a drive pulley. I can measure mine for you if you decide to try it and tell you OD and Width.

As near as I know, Sears used a STD taper belt, just funky lengths, which is not much of an issue anymore, especially if you're putting the engine where you want it.
  • iron Mike said thank you

#3 Sparky66 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10919
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 02:58 PM

I doubt I would need or want to use a deck or any other PTO powered attachment. This particular tractor doesn't come with any attachments. It would just be a cruiser/tow tractor for now. Plus I'm bored and need a project to keep me outa trouble :D  .

Thanks for the input.

#4 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 04:05 PM

I read all I can about re-powering because I know it will be easier to find a new engine than it will be to find one like the one I have. 

On my 67 suburban 10, the bracket that holds the clutch idler and spring is bolted to the engine.  If I were to repower with something else, I would need to get a few measurements and make a bracket that attaches to the frame or the piece that holds the gas tank.  If I don't get mine running, I may need to go through that process. 

• MH81 and iron Mike have said thanks

#5 Alcolvr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 20622
  • 5 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Would like to put a Briggs Vangard twin in my 1978 16/6 and not have to struggle rebuilding a Briggs horizontally opposed twin that i think is a flawed design to begin with. They have a nasty habit of valve seats coming out which happened to mine and other things I dont like about the particular model I have is no pressure fed oil system, plain bearings on crankshaft and no cast iron liners in the cylinders. If I can find a good used Vangard, I would rather go through the problems of fitting it up to my tractor than fight with the old engine. Has anyone here sucessfully installed a V-Twin in a mid seventies Sears?

#6 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 12:21 PM

When I had the st10 torn down for paint I put a 12hp kohler on it just to see if id would fit. It was close but it cleared. Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2
  • iron Mike said thank you