sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 12:09 AM

Motor fires right up in a cold start. Seems to be running fine till I use the fel or backhoe, wants to stall when it is loaded. I knew this when I bought it, felt it was due to it sitting up for awhile.

Air cleaner has been replaced, will get the fuel filter replaced tomorrow. Poured sea foam in it and ran it for a while tonight.

I am figuring it is starving for fuel, so filter and the carb is where I am going to start.

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 12:15 AM

Well a couple of things off the top of my head would be check for air leaks around carb intake are.

Also If the motor seems to run good when it sits or while you drive. It could very well be a problem in the hydraulic pump circuit. Are there any filters that may be plugged?

I know there may be other things but I am having a tough time thinking right now. (tired)
  • sacsr said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 06:45 AM

Have you checked the governor linkage for problems. I would do a general tune up on it. Weak spark in one cylinder or some other ignition related problem could also be causing a lack of power under load.
  • sacsr said thank you

#4 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 09:15 AM

My 2 cents worth.. I usually start by pulling the spark plugs and checking the color on them. while they are out it is fairly easy to check compression and spark.

Everyone has a different approach however this will give you a fairly quick snapshot as to the engine condition.

Sticky valves, bad head gasket, ignition timing/weak spark or carbon build up is usually the cause of stalling under load in my experiences.
To check for a fuel problem pull the choke a bit and see if that helps.
  • sacsr said thank you

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for all the good info. So far I have replaced the fuel filter (dirty and the nipple was bent so the diameter of the hole was much smaller), new plugs, in process of changing oil. I will replace the hydraulic filter when I get the replacement hose tomorrow.

Plugs looked pretty good...

I dont have the tool to check compression.....anybody have a suggestion on which one to buy?? Kohlers makes one that is over $100....I would want one that i could use on all my GT's....wisconsin, kohler, tecumseh, etc. I saw several on ebay for around $40 to $55......

Just with these changes (along with a new air filter).....there has been a reduction in how much the motor struggles under the load. Still not where I want it. I am going to check and clean all the electrical connections today as I have the time.

Hopefully I will be digging some holes by this weekend.

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:16 AM

I have a compression tester that i got 20 years ago from NAPA I think. it was less than $50 but that was 20 years ago. It still works great and can do multiple plug sizes.

I think the auto zones and advance may carry them also.

• sacsr said thank you

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 07:31 PM

Okay I picked up the compression tester from AdvanceAuto today. I read the directions but unclear about what electrical connections I need to disconnect or change??

Edited by sacsr, December 26, 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 07:34 PM

You just have to make it so it doesn't start up while checking the cylinder you are testing.

I would just take the + lead off the coil if you can, If it has electric fuel pump you can disconnect the wires to it.

• sacsr said thank you

#9 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 07:16 PM

Well the reading on the cylinders were : 1- 147-150 and 2- 157-160 .....one cylinder is definitely "better" than the other.......this too much of a difference??

I did read on some of these motors it is hard to get an accurate measurement because these engines have an ACR (automatic compression release) mechanism on them.

New plugs both looked pretty good....tannish in color.......no oil......

Have put in new oil and hydraulic filter today......still getting the heavy draw down when I operate the fel or the backhoe.....maybe not as bad but still there.

The service manual mentions a leak down meter is a better fit for this engine. Anyone familiar with an after market tool to do this?

thanks,

Edited by sacsr, December 27, 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#10 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 11:10 AM

Ran the motor and all the hydraulics this morning. Seeing less stalling when I am using the fel, backhoe, etc. I am now thinking some of it may have been due to it sitting up and the valves etc had not been used in a while, maybe as long as several years. Any chance they were just sticking a little due to no use??

All seems to be doing better at this point......raining tomorrow so will probably not get to take it down to my land till sunday afternoon.......will see how it does then.

I am replacing most of the grease fittings today and installing new tierods for the front.........want to have it in as good of shape as I can before hauling it 25 miles to use it.

Good news is when I called Terramite about the tierods, they gave me the NAPA part numbers, so was able to purchase them locally. Nice of them to offer that info!

#11 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 12:25 PM

It could very well be from just sitting and things getting a little sticky.  As for your compression numbers, they look healthy and the difference that you see between the two, isn't enough to worry about.  Is there a pressure gauge in the high side of hydraulic system?  If so, what does the gauge do when you opperate an attachment? 

• sacsr said thank you

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 12:48 PM

Scott, I think more running will get things purring along.  Give it some time running & get back with us.  Also, as pointed out, your hydraulics may be some of it.  Try letting it run several minutes before using any hydraulics to help warm the oil from the recirculation.  The pressure relief can't function well when the fluid is thick from being cold.

• sacsr said thank you

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 12:57 PM

How would you treat this if it was a regular GT with mowing deck and giving the same symptoms? You would eliminate the deck to begin with and then see if the engine bogged down under a different load. Like with a plow in the ground.

At the moment we dont know if its the hydraulics giving problems or the engine. Could we put it under a different load, something like pushing againts a big stump? If it boggs down then, I would say start at the engine. If it dosent then I would start checking the hydraulic circuts to see what the problem might be.

I am sure someone will have a better idea of how to put the engine under a different load.

• sacsr said thank you

#14 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 09:16 PM

It could very well be from just sitting and things getting a little sticky.  As for your compression numbers, they look healthy and the difference that you see between the two, isn't enough to worry about.  Is there a pressure gauge in the high side of hydraulic system?  If so, what does the gauge do when you opperate an attachment? 

No pressure gauge anywhere on the system. I do think my replacing all the filters and oils, new plugs,etc and my using of all the different controls......it is now running much better than when I first brought it home.

Edited by sacsr, December 28, 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#15 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 09:20 PM

How would you treat this if it was a regular GT with mowing deck and giving the same symptoms? You would eliminate the deck to begin with and then see if the engine bogged down under a different load. Like with a plow in the ground.

At the moment we dont know if its the hydraulics giving problems or the engine. Could we put it under a different load, something like pushing againts a big stump? If it boggs down then, I would say start at the engine. If it dosent then I would start checking the hydraulic circuts to see what the problem might be.

I am sure someone will have a better idea of how to put the engine under a different load.

Good idea, I can not think of another way to load it up except by trying to push it up against something as you suggested, will try that and see what they does.

Replaced bearings in one of the wheels, and will clean and repack the other tomorrow if the rain lets up.