• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 11:35 PM

I decided to make a sketch of the joints where the yoke ends would attach to the axle.

The blue is the part that will be welded solid to the front axle, in the decided location. This part will be shaped and of a different size depending on the location. Going through that piece will be a partially threaded shaft, with a "U" shape on the top (orange); the threaded portion of the shaft will have a castle nut (gray) with a cotter pin to hold it in place. The "U" will be where the end of the yoke (green) attaches. The yoke will either be attached by a pin or a bolt. This design will give the yoke the freedom it needs to move with the axle when it pivots.

My sketch does not show grease fittings, bushings, or the cotter pin that will hold the castle nut in place. I did not want to crowd the drawing with things that I did not need to explain the design.

Also, now that I am thinking more, does the yoke need to have all this movement from the axle? Or can I just mount the ends of the yoke solid to the axle?

Attached Files