• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 08:18 PM

I was thinking, and would this be considered a true 4x4? It seems more like a front wheel assist to me. Although, I don't know what the difference between 4WD, AWD, and front wheel assist is.

#47 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 08:19 PM

Ryan, what you needed was to keep it a secret for about 2 more weeks lol.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#48 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Ryan, what you needed was to keep it a secret for about 2 more weeks lol.

If the secret lasted for that long, I was going to! But, I knew it would come out pretty quick. I was hoping that I could have the rest of the ATV sold and gone before anybody knew about it. :bigrofl:

#49 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 08:22 PM

Ryan:

4WD: front axle engages manually when needed, ratios are exact.

AWD: The 4x4 is full time and there is a differential in the transfer case.

Front wheel assist is as good as traction to me lol.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#50 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 08:28 PM

If the secret lasted for that long, I was going to! But, I knew it would come out pretty quick. I was hoping that I could have the rest of the ATV sold and gone before anybody knew about it. :bigrofl:

It happens quick Ryan. I had one in the yard and went to an auction to get another for parts... I ended up buying the one next to that one as well lol. I tell you, being 2 hours from home in a truck with no trailer, a topper on, and ability to haul one at a time is a tough nail to swallow lol. I at least had a place I could dump one only an hour away but I had several hours in jossling the ATVs around and neither cleared the topper so I ended up hauling the tailgate in the pass seat and jamming all I could of the one atv I could haul at a time since neither cleared the topper (otherwise I coulda hauled 2 lol). And then ratcheting the crap out of them to hold them in. Oh, and when I dumped the first I had no one to help me get it out and no ramps, boy did that get interesting LOL. Next day I had to go back for the first one. I had too many hours in that stupid move. Next time the auctioneer says "How many do you want at that price?" I will answer, "just this one" and leave out "and that one over there too"......

• Ryan313 said thank you

#51 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:06 AM

While thinking about it, I found a problem with my design. Under the differential, there would be a plate that has all of the round bar coming off of it. But, if the round bar went to the ball joints on the bottom of the spindles, and more round bar that went to the PK axle, then I would have no way to put the spindles in! It would not go in, because the 3 point arm on top of the PK axle, would be welded in place, and the ends on the round bar would not be movable. I don't know if I explained this right, but I know that it would not work like that.

My solution is to have two plates under the differential. The top plate would have the bars that go to the PK axle for support, the bottom plate would have the bars that go to the ball joint. The bottom of the differential has 4 bolts with 9/16 heads that hold it down. I don't want all that pressure on four small bolts, so in addition to the four bolts in the differential I will put some larger bolts towards the edge more, their only purpose will be to hold the plates together. I would be able to take the bolts out and the top half would separate from the bottom half. Then, out come the spindles!

#52 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hmmmmmm? Didn't think about that, did we?

#53 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 12:48 PM

Ryan, I think I understand every word you typed. I must be crazier than you are... lol.  I do have a question though. Are you going to incorporate a yoke that prevents axle twist/wobble when the front end starts to do some pulling??

#54 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 01:04 PM

Ryan, I think I understand every word you typed. I must be crazier than you are... lol.  I do have a question though. Are you going to incorporate a yoke that prevents axle twist/wobble when the front end starts to do some pulling??

You may have understood me, but I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain a yoke to me?

#55 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 01:26 PM

Another thing I have thought about. The axles are going to be out in the open. Whats to keep tall grass, vines, etc. from becoming wrapped up on them. Plus bumping into things might bend them.

#56 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 01:30 PM

Another thing I have thought about. The axles are going to be out in the open. Whats to keep tall grass, vines, etc. from becoming wrapped up on them. Plus bumping into things might bend them.

I am going to use some light gauge sheet metal and make some covers. I did not put them in my sketch, because it would have covered what I was trying to show.

• KennyP said thank you

#57 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 09:10 PM

You may have understood me, but I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain a yoke to me?
Pulled the following picture from: http://gardentractor...ctor#entry33749
102.jpg

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, December 25, 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#58 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 10:11 PM

Pulled the following picture from: http://gardentractor...ctor#entry33749
102.jpg

Once I saw the picture, I knew exactly what you meant! However, I had to read Ray's explanation of it a few times before I fully understood how he did it.

Now, it is apparent to me that the yoke pivot would have to be directly in line with the axle pivot, correct?

I am actually very glad you brought this up, because the PKs tend to get a lot of slop and movement there anyway. With a driven front axle it would definitely wear out fast! I am surely going to have to put a yoke on it.

As I wrote this, I was thinking about it already. I think I have a basic idea down, but I would have to figure out the steering first to make sure everything clears. Right under the clutch housing, power king frames have a cross-member. I think that I might be able to beef it up, and put a shaft onto it; it would look almost identical to the front axle pivot. The yoke would most likely go to the lower round bar supports.

#59 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 11:00 PM

Ryan, yes it has to pivot exactly the same pivot center of the front axle (just a few feet away). I was thinking the same thing as to mount it low as possible under the axle. You can't put it on the spindles as you won't be able to turn. You will end up building an axle with less ground clearance than you originally wanted in order to get this all to work. your lower support will have to be a beam or tube able to take force (no flat plate).

#60 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 11:19 PM

Ryan, yes it has to pivot exactly the same pivot center of the front axle (just a few feet away). I was thinking the same thing as to mount it low as possible under the axle. You can't put it on the spindles as you won't be able to turn. You will end up building an axle with less ground clearance than you originally wanted in order to get this all to work. your lower support will have to be a beam or tube able to take force (no flat plate).

Why would it have less ground clearance?

Look at my sketch for the front axle, I would like to make the yoke ends go to the brown lines. More specifically the brown lines that go from the bottom of the differential to the ball joints on the bottom of the spindles. The yoke would attach in the middle, roughly. I thought about making those supports out of 3/4 solid bar, do you think that is enough? Any other problems?