• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 03:22 PM

I posted on a Polaris forum, asking for information. I was directed to THIS. After reading that, I am wondering if I should lock the front hubs to the axles someway or another, and go with a separate PTO to engage the front wheels.

#32 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 04:01 PM

Actually, the system sounds like it would work well as is, It would alleviate the lurching issues associated with 4x4 and turns and probably put less strain on the system overall.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#33 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 04:01 PM

Let's see if this helps.

FINAL DRIVE SYSTEM SERVICE Demand 4 Operation - Mechanical Hubs, 1987-1988

Ramps
Hul
Cage
Roller
In the Polaris Demand 4 Drive System, the machine operates as a two wheel drive vehicle as long as the front wheel rotational speed remains greater than the front drive axle speed. If the rear wheels lose traction the front wheel rotational speed will decrease, caus­ing the front axle speed to become greater than the front wheel speed. The roller cage plungers contact the strut ramps, restricting the rotation of the roller cage and causing front wheel engagement. The roll­ers will then climb the ramps, becoming squeezed be­tween the ramps and the ring in the hub, and engaging the hub. ,Once the wheel hub, Demand 5 clutch as­sembly and axle are engaged, the front wheels will drive and will stay engaged until the rear wheel trac­tion is regained. When rear wheel traction is re­gained, the front wheels will overdrive the front drive shaft, pushing the clutch rollers toward the lower part of the cam and disengaging the Demand 4 clutch.
WARNING: It is important that the front and rear axle drive ratio and tire size are not changed. Changing this ratio will cause erratic engagement, which could result in serious injury or death.
Demand 4 Operation -
Electric Hubs, 1989 to Cur­rent
The electric hubs operate in much the same manner M the mechanical system described above. The only i Is that the clutch engages by means of an i magnet and armature plate instead of plung-i aprlngs and ramps. The electro magnet and ar-plate restrict the rotation of the Demand 4 i roller clutch assembly. The advantage of this I over the mechanical is that when the 4 wheel switch Is turned off the machine will have the ease of turning of a 2 wheel drive unit; and with the switch turned on, 4 wheel drive will be engaged.

For some reason the diagram will not paste over here. 

Edited by Cvans, December 24, 2012 - 04:14 PM.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#34 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 04:05 PM

I'll walk out and see if mine has any wires at the hubs. This actually sounds like it might be an ideal set up for what you thinking of doing.

Mine does have wires entering at the base of the shock mount. It also has an AWD button on the right handle bar. I can also tell you that it works pretty good as I have had zero problems with it.

Edited by Cvans, December 24, 2012 - 04:16 PM.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#35 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 04:12 PM

What I don't understand is how they engage once the wheels turn faster then the rears.

On the four wheeler, the drive shaft went to a shaft on the transmission. Since I would be driving it off of the shaft between the tranny and rear differential. Would it mess with the engagement of the front wheels?

#36 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 05:10 PM

As soon as the front axles start turning faster than the front hubs the engagement takes place. As soon as the rear wheels regain traction the front axles and hubs will return to the same speed and the engagement will release. 

Edited by Cvans, December 24, 2012 - 05:11 PM.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#37 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 05:21 PM

As soon as the front axles start turning faster than the front hubs the engagement takes place. As soon as the rear wheels regain traction the front axles and hubs will return to the same speed and the engagement will release. 

Gearing will have to be pretty exact, but It should be pretty slick in it's operation.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#38 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 05:26 PM

Ok, I understand how it works now! Now, I have to figure out the exact gear ratio... I hate math.

EDIT: Maybe it will be easier to get the right gear ratio like this, then it would be with locked hubs. With locked hubs I would have to have it exact, so the front wheel speed would match the rear wheel speed. Like this, I think that as long as I get it close it will work. On the link I posted to the Polaris forum, they said that the front axles turn 80% the speed of the rear. I think that this might be to large of a difference, I think that 90% might be better? My reason for this is because that a PK goes much slower then an ATV. Opinions?

Edited by Ryan313, December 24, 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#39 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 06:09 PM

I made a sketch, this is my first idea of how to make the front axle. I would use an original PK axle (oragne), since I could then use the pivot, and the stops for where the axle stops pivoting. I would cut off the ends to what ever size I need. I would use a 3PT arm cut in half (blue), or to what ever size I need and weld it to the top of the PK axle. The spindles (gray) have a spot where the shocks originally slid into them. In these spots I would put a piece of pipe, round bar, or something else that I would then put a shaft onto the top of where it would go into the end of the 3PT arm. The differential (black) would be mounted onto a plate that with round bar (brown) welded to it. The round bar would go to the PK axle for support. There would also be round bar that would go to the ball joint on the bottom of the spindle.

One thing I am unsure of, is what size round bar to use. On on the ATV the "A" arms where made of 7/8" tubing with 1/8" walls. Since the A arms moved, a lot of the force was absorbed into the shocks. Since it will be mounted solid for my application, I need something much stronger. I am thinking maybe 3/4 solid bar for the brown parts in my picture. Do you guys think that is adequate?

Attached Files

#40 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 06:41 PM

Ryan, this is going to be sweet when you get it done. I'll be lurking along!

• Ryan313 said thank you

#41 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 07:03 PM

While I was taking the parts off that I needed, my brother found out about what I had bought. He did not support it much, and thought it would not be worth it when finished. I told him not to say anything, and we would see how long it took for eveyrbody else to discover it. I now have the remnants listed on craigslist and my brother stopped to look at my listing. Everybody flocked to see what we were looking at and... the cat is out of the bag.

#42 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 07:54 PM

You could always say that Santa brought it early.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#43 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 07:56 PM

" IDK were it came from, I just drug it out of the pond with the 75" :D

• Ryan313 said thank you

#44 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 08:05 PM

Ok, where were you guys when I needed you! I had to actually tell the truth...

#45 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,743 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 08:10 PM

Ok, where were you guys when I needed you! I had to actually tell the truth...

That's a good thing!

• Ryan313 said thank you