• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 06:16 PM

Mow one.jpg mow two.jpg mow three.jpg Well, here she is! Not so pretty but all there, with good guards, sections, and freed up main bearing, it works. If I can get it mounted on my 2418 I see no reason it will not cut fine after a few adjustments. It came off of a 1600 series so I MAY have to make a mount to lower the mower enough to run level. I was told earlier today that this mower was made by McCormick Deering for Economy. If anyone has any information to add to that I would like to hear it.
Thanks

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 07:49 PM

Hey, that looks good. A little grease here, a little paint there and she'll be as good as new. I've never owned one of these before but I have heard from those who do that you really should have a dedicated tractor for the sickle bar because they are not that easy to mount. I hope you do not find that to be the case. Regardless, nice find!
  • Buggyman said thank you

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 09:14 PM

Make sure when you mount the mower the far end of the sickle bar is just a little farther forward than the inside end of the bar. It has to be that way to cut correctly. GOOD LUCK :wave:
  • Buggyman said thank you

#4 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 09:46 PM

David Brown... I will soon see how the mounting goes on the mower. I am hoping that it is not as bad as it could be. The only attachements on this one is the 4 bolts, lift chain, and lift arm....But the belt may be a real issue... Hummm

GTractor....I had forgotten about insuring the end of the bar is a bit forward. I knew that but did not recall it. I really appreciate your bringing it up.

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 04:29 PM

It might be this mower.My guess was this mower was used from 1949 to 1961 or so.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sickle mower.JPG

#6 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 25, 2012 - 12:12 PM

It looks like I am going to have to take the entire mounting system off this mower and build a new one.   I see that it was built model specific to a 1600 tractor.  My 24 has an equipment mounting bracket that extends downward from the frame at the location that this mower is to mount.  I don't even see a way to cut and remake this mount.  I fear that I am going to have to trash it and start over.  This is complicated by the fact that the mower has to be angled upward in front to match the angle of the pulleys from the motor which are not level.  Darn the bad luck.

#7 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 01:18 PM

IT IS GONE!  After measuring and looking at the mower for a while I decided that the work in cutting the mounts off and rebuilding the entire thing was just more trouble than I wanted to go to.  I sold the mower to a neighbor who has a 1600 series.  The mower is a direct bolt up on his tractor.  He was proud to get it and I was proud to see it go.  The rest of the story is that I found another one.  This mower  will fit my tractor!  I have called and talked to the owner and will go see it within the next couple of weeks. (He has the flu now)  He says the mower is in good shape but not been used in a few years, is sitting on a trailer, and he believes all there.  I will update as soon as I get a look at it. Wish me luck!

#8 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 08:41 PM

UPDATE;

I sold the mower that I have pictured above on this topic.  As of today I bought another one.  This one is in better shape and a different model.  All of the guards are in place and in good condition.  The sickle bar also looks good.  I see no welds, bends, etc on the mower.  In fact this one even has some orange paint on it yet.  This mower appears to be a Haban but I don't see any number or inscriptions on it.  This mower is a bit different than others I have seen in that this one has a 10 or 12 inch pulley laying down on top which drives the mower.  The belt comes from the clutch pully down through the idlers and then to the large drive pulley.  As soon as I find out what model it is I will try to find a manual for it.  When I get it off of the truck tomorrow I will shoot a few pictures and post them.

Mike

• Alc said thank you