• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 02:00 PM

I have made it home with the mower I mentioned last week. I have gotten time now to look it over in some detail in a warm garage. I see that the bar, guards, and sections all look to be in good shape. It has a wooden pitman arm rather than a belt like most I have seen. The wood is shot so I will have to replace it. The only real issue I see is that main bearing that runs from the pitman to the pulleys is seized up. There is a large nut on the end of the shaft that looks like is made to take off to service the bearings etc. I am very pleased with everything I can see SO FAR.

I have not seen one like this before. It mounts under the tractor by bolting inside the frame rails to the two pre drilled holes in the frame that are 9" apart. A pulley is directly under the drive pulleys from the engine. The mower is activated by a foot lever that allows the weight of the mower to tighten the drive belt. Another bracket mounts to the lift arm to raise the bar. Mounting the mower looks to be very easy and quick BUT having to drive it from the motor pulley is going to be a pain. I guess I will buy one of the linked belts to put on and off with the mower.. I see no tag to determine who made it or when.

Pictures will follow tomorrow.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 03:28 PM

Congrats on the new toy. I have an old walk behind mower with a wooden drive arm too. I figured that it is a safety because it will break if there is a bad jam. I'll look for a name on it.
  • Buggyman said thank you

#3 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 06:30 AM

:wewantpics: :picsoritsnotyours: , lol.....congrats....sounds like you have a great piece there. Can't wait to see it.

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 07:06 AM

Congrats on your find. Please post some pics when you can.
I've got a thing for sickle mowers. There so much fun to use.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 07:41 AM

Congratulations on the sickle bar mower.

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 11:21 AM

Congrats on the new mower! I can't wait for the pictures!

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 01:10 PM

Always wondered what the draw to these was? Seems they would be PIA to use. Don't tall grass jam in between the cutters and such if too heavy? Don't you run into lots of things that just Jamb it up, like popcans, sticks, small stones and such? Lots of junk in a ditch! Wires or metal signs and guards you can't see, get caught? I was told with one of these running, the Whole tractor shakes back and forth while using! Seems gear boxes are always broken and needing work or parts that are hard to find? Just don't get the attraction!

#8 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 01:19 PM

Always wondered what the draw to these was? Seems they would be PIA to use. Don't tall grass jam in between the cutters and such if too heavy? Don't you run into lots of things that just Jamb it up, like popcans, sticks, small stones and such? Lots of junk in a ditch! Wires or metal signs and guards you can't see, get caught? I was told with one of these running, the Whole tractor shakes back and forth while using! Seems gear boxes are always broken and needing work or parts that are hard to find? Just don't get the attraction!

also if you just keep up with the cutting of the grass you could use your normal deck

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 01:28 PM

I have never had one, so I can't give much input. But, it seems like a lot of the members here use them to mow around ponds and waterways.

#10 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 05:49 PM

In my youth we did commercial hay work and used John Deere and Allis Chambers sickle bar mowers. I have mowed hundreds of acres and have never broken a gear box or any other part but for a section or guard which are bolt ons and break occasionally. First, they work fine in heavy grasses in fact my bush hog would have to really labor or I would have to cut it high to mow what a sickle bar mower will cut. Second, they are not made for rough cutting as you are correct in that sticks, wires, etc. will clog or damage them. (rocks not so much) They were made for improved pasture lands and cutting hay. Like all equipment they have their limitations but if kept sharp and adjusted properly they work great. A small one like the one I just bought should be perfect for mowing under fences, under low hanging trees, pond banks, etc. that a bush hog will not reach. Our county road crews have several sickle bar mowers to supplement the bush hogs they use. I see them mowing around signs, guard rails and in ditches with them. BUT, with all of that said, "Do I really have a use for this mower?" Probably no more than for the finish mower, plow, cultivator, blade, and trailer I have for my tractor.

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 06:25 PM

You are correct on all accounts!
I used a side mounted mowing machine on a "C" Allis Chalmers then on a 6040 Allis. I mowed along the streets and around the town lakes and waste stabilization lagoons.
The mower was a real PITA most of the time, BUT, it was the only tool we had that could "reach" out into the water to cut the weeds. We would chain a 2nd tractor in front of the mowing tractor to help keep it moving as I mowed in the water.
No doubt about it, they do look impressive on a GT whether it is a worker or just a "looker"!