• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 06:17 AM

I am hoping to get a thread going for modifications or improvements folks have done to their DBs to make them more useful or to just keep them going. Have you made an implement? Made modifications so that your hood would fit? Have you improvised or made parts because you could not find the correct part you needed? I am not a purest but, I prefer mods that don't butcher the original equipment.

Here is first my entry. It is very simple but, something that I hope will get things going. It is a handlebar mounted kill witch. I used a kill switch from a dirt bike that I picked up at the local motorcycle salvage yard for free. I have a few other simple things that I can add to this topic later. I am currently working on an adjustable counterweight.

Attached Thumbnails

• KILL SWITCH.JPG

• Alc and Arti have said thanks

#2 rut3556 OFFLINE  

rut3556
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 15910
  • 8 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 09:01 AM

M.,

I like it! Sure beats having to lift the hood!

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:05 AM

This wasn't my idea but was on the tractor when I got it . They used what looks like a screen door spring with a chain going to the sickle bar clutch, Normally the chain is wrapped over the handle bar and hooked to a long screw this keeps the mower off , the other end is on the rod controlling the drive clutch . When you take the chain off the screw and the drive clutch rod controls the on/off of the mower .Then the only time the mower is cutting is when the tractor is moving One handle controls both !

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0232.JPG
  • DSCN0233.JPG

• VSTROM803 said thank you

#4 heatseaker1 OFFLINE  

heatseaker1
  • Member No: 9263
  • 26 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 11:41 AM

That's actually a pretty inventive way to get around needing to find the clutch rod and handle while increasing safety a bit. I saw somehere but can't remember where someone modified the clutch handle for the sickle bar. If I remember right ne brazed a tab on the bottom edge of the sickle bar handle that extended under the drive clutch handle so if the sickle was running and he pulled back on the drive cluth handle they would both disengage at the same time.
  • Alc said thank you

#5 heatseaker1 OFFLINE  

heatseaker1
  • Member No: 9263
  • 26 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Not actually an improvement unless you're lazy like me. Here is a cart that I made out of a small lawn trailer. If you notice, I moved the axle forward to be under the seat which evened out the weight a bit. There is also ample room on the back for a cooler filled with what ever adult beverages you enjoy. Believe it or not, this cart had 4 grown men on it, pushing 800 lbs. The axle flexed a bit but it carried the load. The hitch is homemade out of scrapI had laying in the garage, sorry but I don't have a pic of that.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0669.jpg
  • IMAG0657.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#6 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 05:18 AM

This wasn't my idea but was on the tractor when I got it . They used what looks like a screen door spring with a chain going to the sickle bar clutch, Normally the chain is wrapped over the handle bar and hooked to a long screw this keeps the mower off , the other end is on the rod controlling the drive clutch . When you take the chain off the screw and the drive clutch rod controls the on/off of the mower .Then the only time the mower is cutting is when the tractor is moving One handle controls both !

Clutch Lever
I believe this lever is for that purpose. This is from a "Super 3" tractor(575104)
  • Alc said thank you

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 06:54 AM

I'll have to look if there's a second hole in the lever on mine .With the one pictured would you be able to run the tractor without the mower running then move it in a different position to make both mower and tractor run ?

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 01:08 PM

that lever is mostly for tractors that have the adjustable handle bars...its so you can hook the clutch rod up to a better postion whne you lower or raise them up. There was a mower unit that used it and the hand brake units did also.
  • Alc and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 01:11 PM

A long time back we used to get a monomtary contact switch and drill a hole into the end of the handle grip. By running a wire up the pipe handle, you had a kill switch with a cleaner look and no exposed wiring.
  • Alc and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#10 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 05:34 AM

Here's the counter weight. A bit crude since I just used what was lying around the garage.  I can use any combination of 2 1/2#, 3#, 5#, 10# weights. Not as spiffy as the original DB item but, I believe it will work well.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3906.JPG
  • DSCN3905.JPG

• Alc and WHdbJD have said thanks

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 02:07 PM

well i dont see why that wouldnt work out. A little paint and it will just look like the rest ofthe tractor.

• Traill95 and VSTROM803 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: david bradley