5 replies to this topic

#1 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5236
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 09:07 PM

Evening everyone. do any of you know where I can purchase a hydraulic lift cylinder for my old Bolens? Love that old tractor but I was plowing snow with it today and noticed that it had a bad leak. Fluid was streaming out around the shaft(rod) on the cylinder. Is there something else that I can adapt to fit
. Would appreciate any info on this subject. Thanks, Mike

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 09:44 PM

Keep in mind that these tractors are built in the 70's when it was made to be fixed not replaced if you remove the fittings you can take apart the cylinder and replace the Seals (actually orings) to replace the oring for the shaft you remove the front fitting and pull on the rod after it comes out clamp a Vise grip Close to the Piston and use a 3/4 wrench to remove the Shackle (mounts on to the rock shaft) pull the rod out use a Small flat head screw drive and catch the edge of the old oring and pull it out go to a auto parts store and the Should be able to match something up my H14 I got from the scrap yard had the cylinder extended its all pitted but with over sized oring it does not leak all that bad Best of luck
Ty
  • iron Mike and MailmAn have said thanks

#3 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 01:27 AM

Thank you Ty. I will try this. I was hoping that it could be repaired but it didn't appear to be repairable.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Thank you Ty. I will try this. I was hoping that it could be repaired but it didn't appear to be repairable.

They can be taken apart.
I rebuilt the cylinder on my 1050, there's only a few o-rings in there that are alot cheaper than finding a new assembly!
If you need help taking it apart let us know and we'll direct you the best we can :thumbs:
  • iron Mike said thank you

#5 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 10:31 PM

Keep in mind that these tractors are built in the 70's when it was made to be fixed not replaced if you remove the fittings you can take apart the cylinder and replace the Seals (actually orings) to replace the oring for the shaft you remove the front fitting and pull on the rod after it comes out clamp a Vise grip Close to the Piston and use a 3/4 wrench to remove the Shackle (mounts on to the rock shaft) pull the rod out use a Small flat head screw drive and catch the edge of the old oring and pull it out go to a auto parts store and the Should be able to match something up my H14 I got from the scrap yard had the cylinder extended its all pitted but with over sized oring it does not leak all that bad Best of luck
Ty

Hello Ty, I did as you said and it worked like a charm. Got it all back together and blew a hose. Replaced two hoses that were original and it is working fine now. I did lose a U-joint last night but fixed that this a.m.. More snow tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

#6 iron Mike OFFLINE  

iron Mike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 36 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 10:33 PM

They can be taken apart.
I rebuilt the cylinder on my 1050, there's only a few o-rings in there that are alot cheaper than finding a new assembly!
If you need help taking it apart let us know and we'll direct you the best we can :thumbs:

Wanted to thank you for your input. You are all a great bunch of people.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you